Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Closed Thread

Old
  (#51)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DC2
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: SF Golden Green Pro 600W
Default 04-28-2012, 16:01 | posts: 10,817 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Agent View Post
No we are not in the 90's we are in the era where everyone thinks that wasting cpu processing power in small ammounts is Ok, and then... we end up with games like Crysis 2 or GTA4 or other crappy ports cause we aint in the 90's

Most of users who owned both knows that asus xonar beying better doesnt hold much water, especially for gaming, in that area its just a pointless soundcard in comparison, that includes many threads and posts already made in this forum aswell with users having both and reporting favour torwards titanium hd, both in gaming(quite obviously) and music playing, alot lesser cpu usage and proper hardware acceleration by openal.
Asus Xonar was the only decent choice at the time when Creative soundcards were annihilated by microsoft vista and 7, + the fact that 64 bits support was unexistant as the windows xp 64bits was quite crappy, now its a different story.
The thing is, 99% of new games are pure software so hardware acceleration is pretty much irrelevant nowadays. However, I do not know how much difference it makes in music production (ASIO output). Anything that makes CPU usage lower in Cubase is plus for me. I'd personally focus on features and sound quality, speed differences are irrelevant. Even in games that support hardware acceleration via OpenAL or Alchemy.

Old
  (#52)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Videocard: 22" LCD on GTX260 C216
Processor: Intel I7 860
Mainboard: MSI P55 GD80
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3-1600 4X2GB
Soundcard: It Varies...
PSU: Sigma
Default 04-28-2012, 17:55 | posts: 16,158 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
The thing is, 99% of new games are pure software so hardware acceleration is pretty much irrelevant nowadays. However, I do not know how much difference it makes in music production (ASIO output). Anything that makes CPU usage lower in Cubase is plus for me. I'd personally focus on features and sound quality, speed differences are irrelevant. Even in games that support hardware acceleration via OpenAL or Alchemy.
ASIO was originally designed for low latency recording so generally it is designed to route around whatever is there to give the user the quickest path from the external to the software doing the recording. I doubt you would notice any difference in comparing their use on either a hardware or software based card for recording.

Old
  (#53)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte x79-ud3
Memory: Corsair 1866mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Creative Titanium XFI-HD
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 04-28-2012, 20:04 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

As you can see OP, all replies you get from audiophile is unexperienced "performance doesnt matter" replies, simply because they tend to choose whatever they think sounds best and ignore everything about a personal computer and gaming and even then its poorly chosen as they cant or wont admit that several people who owned both knows that the titanium hd has the upper hand in both sound quality(stock vs stock), features and cpu performance...

Old
  (#54)
DirkHardpeck
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 780 SLI @ 1150/3305
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar U7
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 04-28-2012, 20:44 | posts: 252 | Location: NJ

Quote:
As you can see OP, all replies you get from audiophile is unexperienced "performance doesnt matter" replies, simply because they tend to choose whatever they think sounds best and ignore everything about a personal computer and gaming and even then its poorly chosen as they cant or wont admit that several people who owned both knows that the titanium hd has the upper hand in both sound quality(stock vs stock), features and cpu performance...
Yup. I tend to purchase and use the audio equipment that I feel sounds best. Weird.

You talk of performance. If your concern is that you're losing FPS because your CPU can't handle processing sound (and forgive me if I'm misreading you), you really, really, really need to upgrade that first. It's 2012, you should want a soundcard for a better DAC than motherboard, surround headphone emulation, a (mediocre) headphone amp, and/or DDL and DTS-C. For music and legacy games, some hardware acceleration. Not better game performance. That is a f*cking joke.

Old
  (#55)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 03:13 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkHardpeck View Post
Yup. I tend to purchase and use the audio equipment that I feel sounds best. Weird.

You talk of performance. If your concern is that you're losing FPS because your CPU can't handle processing sound (and forgive me if I'm misreading you), you really, really, really need to upgrade that first. It's 2012, you should want a soundcard for a better DAC than motherboard, surround headphone emulation, a (mediocre) headphone amp, and/or DDL and DTS-C. For music and legacy games, some hardware acceleration. Not better game performance. That is a f*cking joke.
Yup. Weird, and whats even weirder is that you talk about DTS which is unexistant in Asus Xonar Essence STX and existant in Creative Titanium HD, its also very weird to talk as a feature for "hardware acceleration for legacy games" when theres no hardware acceleration done from Xonar, while it is present once more in Titanium HD, on top of that as i have refered before, many pp who have bought both admit titanium hd sounds better stock vs stock.
So again this soundcard at least is on par in sound quality with what the asus xonar essence stx has to offer and it has alot more features which the essence lacks, including EAX 5.0, DTS, proper hardware acceleration, cpu offloading and optical in, there are more features out there too.
All xonar has to offer that titanium HD doesnt is that petty headphone amp which again is no match for any proper dedicated amp.
So your post have alot of contradiction but its ok, im used to this kind of boring debate, ive presented a setup which the OP originally intended and theres nothing the petty xonar essence has to offer in that aspect, not even higher sound quality, wether you like it or not.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 04-29-2012 at 03:15.

Old
  (#56)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga 780 Dual 1202/3305
Processor: I5 3570k @4.5Ghz SA SB-E
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 30nm 2x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: BiFrost uber>LD MKII>T90
PSU: Cosair 850watt RM850
Default 04-29-2012, 04:13 | posts: 5,394 | Location: Michigan,usa

I Owned both STX and X-FI HD PCi-E and they sound just as each other. Just go for one that has the features you want. Both have op-amp sockets for Swaping op-amps.

Because I liked owning both cards as they both sound great.I always swap the op-amps from the Default Jrcs any way. As I don't like the sound signature of the Generic op-amps in the I/V of both cards.

Edit: I know it gonna come up, I don't have my X-FI HD PCi-e Now only because I sold it to get enough for my HD 7950 this was before those price drops happened.

Old
  (#57)
DirkHardpeck
Master Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 05:28 | posts: 252 | Location: NJ

Quote:
Yup. Weird, and whats even weirder is that you talk about DTS which is unexistant in Asus Xonar Essence STX and existant in Creative Titanium HD
Sure, but it has DDL whereas the Titanium HD has both. When I use real-time encoding on the HD, I use DDL anyway. Then again, who the hell buys a high-end stereo soundcard to go optical and bypass everything they paid for?

Quote:
its also very weird to talk as a feature for "hardware acceleration for legacy games" when theres no hardware acceleration done from Xonar, while it is present once more in Titanium HD
That's Asus vs. Creative for you. Asus cards emulate it, as does Creative's own Recon3d. There's a niche group that still cares about EAX, it certainly doesn't make every Asus card garbage. Creative happened to patent the sh*t. BY all means, if the OP plays UT regularly or something, lean towards the Creative cards!

Quote:
on top of that as i have refered before, many pp who have bought both admit titanium hd sounds better stock vs stock.
Pure conjecture. You are arguing to a group of people, who think the Essence cards sound great, that the proof that it isn't great is that some other people think it isn't great. I could go to these people you speak of, and tell them that they're wrong, because I saw people on here say the Essence cards were good. I would look like a total f*cking idiot, though. Alot of respected gurus in this forum swear by those cards, and yes, it might be because they sound good.

I use the Titanium HD for alot of reasons, some of them you mentioned, but some of them don't make alot of sense. And there's really no reason for your vitriol. I understand you being defensive at this point, but you were spreading some incorrect information in a very arrogant and insistent tone, someone was bound to call you out in a less than perfectly civil way. Let's just take it down a notch and say that you recommend a Titanium HD, and so do I.

Old
  (#58)
nikavelli
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 780 Ti
Processor: i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: MSI GD65
Memory: 16GB 1866 Corsair
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR
PSU: 1200-Watt Corsair
Default 04-29-2012, 06:18 | posts: 399

Quote:
for current games, race driver grid, DiRT games, unreal tournament, battlefield, bioshock, DDO and quite possibly many others which i dont know of use Hardware Acceleration.
Current games? Battlefield 2 is current? Unreal Tournament? Please man, you're clueless.

Quote:
The performance difference is there, both ingame and when playing music
Wrong. I'd love to see some data, links to back up this statement. Compare CPU usage from a STX vs HD when playing music, let's see it.

Quote:
Asus Xonar while you believe that they are one of the best cards on the market who won hundreds of awards
It's not just me who believes. It's public information, look it up. Just this year alone, ASUS won 6 awards for "Innovations Design and Engineering" at CES 2012.

Quote:
because it has dolby technology (lol)
Why lol? Dolby has been on the forefront of surround sound technology and innovation. Some may prefer Creative's method's but I along with many other find Dolby Headphone very convincing.

Quote:
and a headphone amp (which is quite poor compared to a proper headphone amplifier)
That's not the point. You were trying to compare Titanium HD's ability to drive high impedance headphones to ASUS's STX.

Quote:
as reported numerous times around the forums the Titanium HD Has:
Optical Cable input, output, Dolby Digital Live, DTS, better tuned opamps, proper sound processing rather than cpu emulation which again helps you with better sound quality ingames and better performance aswell, proper 3D effects which you can easelly tell if the sound is happening on your back or at your forward with 2.0/1 speakers or stereo headphones.
STX can do digital output and Dolby Digital Live. Better tuned opamps? Are you stupid? They're just generic opamps, meant to be replaced. Proper sound processing? What does that even mean? And again, emulation is only done on the STX with EAX/hardware accelerated sound. Modern games do not use hardware accelerated sound anymore, so who cares? Better sound quality and "proper" 3D effects? If the game uses EAX (most games do not), then yes the Titanium HD will deliver a more genuine experience. But we've been over this before again and again why that doesn't matter these days..

Quote:
Having said all these:
Your last and only valid comment that the stx has an audiophile headphone amp sends me back to my original message:
You either buy a proper sound card, or you buy an amp disguised as a soundcard which fails to be any match for any proper dedicated amp.
My last and only valid comment? Almost none of your own comments are valid.... The STX is not "an amp disguised as a sound card". That's something a Creative fanboy would say.

Quote:
Finally:
As ive said before, people on these forums which own/ed both soundcards reported favor in sound quality torwards titanium hd (stock vs stock).
Asus Xonar Essence ST/X were a great and only choice in high sound quality few years ago, but things have changed and we are slowly getting back to the original purpose of soundcards.
I've seen people go both ways. There is no clear cut winner. Some prefer the STX, some prefer the HD. They both are great cards with their own features.

Legendary_Agent, please just stop posting man. You make yourself look like a fool everytime.

Old
  (#59)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 09:11 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikavelli View Post
Current games? Battlefield 2 is current? Unreal Tournament? Please man, you're clueless.
Yes, UT3 is the newest UT game from the series.

Quote:
Wrong. I'd love to see some data, links to back up this statement. Compare CPU usage from a STX vs HD when playing music, let's see it.
So, you say Wrong and at the same time you want to see data that backup this statement up, your flawed logic amuzes me, btw look it up yourself ive done the same.

Quote:
It's not just me who believes. It's public information, look it up. Just this year alone, ASUS won 6 awards for "Innovations Design and Engineering" at CES 2012.
Oh wow, asus won all that for innovative design AND engineering? darn... i dont understand why wont they drop, motherboards, laptops and every other single solution and stick to C-media soundcards instead if they won all that... oh wait... it didnt have anything to do with it.

Quote:
Why lol? Dolby has been on the forefront of surround sound technology and innovation. Some may prefer Creative's method's but I along with many other find Dolby Headphone very convincing.
Why lol? its simple, thats the only feature your card has, which is quite embarassing for such a Great and Awsome soundcard (made by ASUS man!) for miss something as obvious as DTS, so you can keep your Dolby and your outdated CPU emulated eax, ill keep my dolbi, my DTS and my up to date EAX, and while im at it, i will connect my ps3 to it and play games on pc with greater performance and sound quality and sound effect quality than yours, u can keep ur cheap headphone amp, its pretty useless when you want a greater quality amp.

Quote:
That's not the point. You were trying to compare Titanium HD's ability to drive high impedance headphones to ASUS's STX.
I was? show me where i said Titanium HD was better than ASUS STX in the ability to drive higher ohms than ASUS.

Quote:
STX can do digital output and Dolby Digital Live. Better tuned opamps? Are you stupid? They're just generic opamps, meant to be replaced. Proper sound processing? What does that even mean? And again, emulation is only done on the STX with EAX/hardware accelerated sound. Modern games do not use hardware accelerated sound anymore, so who cares? Better sound quality and "proper" 3D effects? If the game uses EAX (most games do not), then yes the Titanium HD will deliver a more genuine experience. But we've been over this before again and again why that doesn't matter these days..
Im pretty sorry to tell you that modern games do still use hardware acceleratin sound, you deliberately chosen to omit DiRT3 and DDO from my list, and those were only on the list i played, you were wrong, get over it as i admitted when i was wrong for thinking STX opamps were soldered in.
UT3 uses OpenAl and yet, the sound positioning on Titanium HD works brilliantly from every angle even with a stereo headphone or 2.0/1 speaker system, on a final note about this of your little statement, i dont care what you think it doesnt matter for you, it matters for gamers who look for a gaming soundcard.

Quote:
My last and only valid comment? Almost none of your own comments are valid.... The STX is not "an amp disguised as a sound card". That's something a Creative fanboy would say.
Oh well, someone wants a gaming card and u suggest an amp disguised as a sound card running on the main cpu resources, with petty 3D positional effects, outdated AND emulated EAX, no optical in, but all this is useless in gaming cause all gamers want is an average quality headphone amp, and you call me the fanboy coming with all this crap about ASUS won this ASUS won that and trying to imply as that has everything to do with your soundcard, haha.

Quote:
I've seen people go both ways. There is no clear cut winner. Some prefer the STX, some prefer the HD. They both are great cards with their own features.

Legendary_Agent, please just stop posting man. You make yourself look like a fool everytime.

So you split my own sentences trying to make them look meaningless, np i can cope with that, i feel sorry for you for beying that desperate though.
OH and... seriously man? both cards have their own features? all you have over titanium hd is an average amp, and if i trully wanted a good am i wouldve bought a dedicated one making your feature bite the dust, i have a proper list of valid features that your lacks and mine has, so features vs features mine again wins.
Untill your next silly post.

Old
  (#60)
flimbo
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX760 OC
Processor: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST
PSU: OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro
Default 04-29-2012, 12:36 | posts: 715 | Location: My chair

Man, why are you so angry about the Xonar ST/STX?
It's marketed by Asus as a music enthusiast card and does the job admirably.

Old
  (#61)
nikavelli
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 780 Ti
Processor: i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: MSI GD65
Memory: 16GB 1866 Corsair
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR
PSU: 1200-Watt Corsair
Default 04-29-2012, 12:45 | posts: 399

Quote:
Yes, UT3 is the newest UT game from the series.
So that's your definition of "current"? Games that came out 5 years ago that nobody plays? Again, stupid.

Quote:
So, you say Wrong and at the same time you want to see data that backup this statement up, your flawed logic amuzes me, btw look it up yourself ive done the same.
The logic behind that statement: making you look dumb. I knew you could not produce anything and you proved it.

Quote:
Oh wow, asus won all that for innovative design AND engineering? darn... i dont understand why wont they drop, motherboards, laptops and every other single solution and stick to C-media soundcards instead if they won all that... oh wait... it didnt have anything to do with it.
Actually, it does. It was in response to your statment about "my beliefs". ASUS winning awards is not a "belief" of mine, it's publicly known fact. Poor choice of words on your part.

Quote:
Why lol? its simple, thats the only feature your card has, which is quite embarassing for such a Great and Awsome soundcard (made by ASUS man!) for miss something as obvious as DTS, so you can keep your Dolby and your outdated CPU emulated eax, ill keep my dolbi, my DTS and my up to date EAX, and while im at it, i will connect my ps3 to it and play games on pc with greater performance and sound quality and sound effect quality than yours, u can keep ur cheap headphone amp, its pretty useless when you want a greater quality amp.
Outdated CPU emulated EAX? EAX itself is outdated! So is the notion of hardware accelerated audio! And why would you build a gaming computer only to connect a PS3 to it?

Greater performance, sound quality, sound effect? Maybe if the game uses EAX... which most don't. And at least the STX has a headphone amp, cheap or not. It can power 600 ohm Beyerdynamics without complaints.

Quote:
I was? show me where i said Titanium HD was better than ASUS STX in the ability to drive higher ohms than ASUS.
I never said you said the Titanium HD's amp was better than the STX's. I said you were comparing, there's a difference.

Quote:
Im pretty sorry to tell you that modern games do still use hardware acceleratin sound
A very small percentage, yes. Again, most games these days do not use any form of hardware accelerated sound.

Quote:
UT3 uses OpenAl and yet
, the sound positioning on Titanium HD works brilliantly from every angle even with a stereo headphone or 2.0/1 speaker system, on a final note about this of your little statement, i dont care what you think it doesnt matter for you, it matters for gamers who look for a gaming soundcard.
Again, UT3 is not a modern or popular or current game. Is this your desperate example? Next time you want to talk about games, remember your own choice of words (i.e. current).

Quote:
Oh well, someone wants a gaming card and u suggest an amp disguised as a sound card running on the main cpu resources, with petty 3D positional effects, outdated AND emulated EAX, no optical in, but all this is useless in gaming cause all gamers want is an average quality headphone amp, and you call me the fanboy coming with all this crap about ASUS won this ASUS won that and trying to imply as that has everything to do with your soundcard, haha.
Again, you have a misunderstanding on how each card handles resources. There's no point in me trying to explain it to you again. You're obviously not capable of understanding that concept.

Quote:
So you split my own sentences trying to make them look meaningless, np i can cope with that, i feel sorry for you for beying that desperate though.
OH and... seriously man? both cards have their own features? all you have over titanium hd is an average amp, and if i trully wanted a good am i wouldve bought a dedicated one making your feature bite the dust, i have a proper list of valid features that your lacks and mine has, so features vs features mine again wins.
Untill your next silly post.
A majority of your posts are meaningless because you have no idea what you're talking about. Doesn't matter if I choice edit or not, you're still lacking basics when it comes to sound hardware on the PC. Titanium HD does not have "an average amp", it has no amp. You finished yet?

Old
  (#62)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 15:47 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
So that's your definition of "current"? Games that came out 5 years ago that nobody plays? Again, stupid.
Quite amuzing for you to call those (games) that nobody plays and are 5 years old, im pretty sure some games of that list are newer than that
I could bother posting a more detailed list, but replying this sentence to your current ignorance is enough for me.

Quote:
The logic behind that statement: making you look dumb. I knew you could not produce anything and you proved it.
Actually no, the logic behind that statement was that something is wrong because your soundcard EAX2.0 (EMULATED) should offer same performance as a titanium HD with EAX 5.0 and you wont believe it because the idea of you knowing nothing about personal computer soundcards is to hard to be true (for you).

Quote:
Actually, it does. It was in response to your statment about "my beliefs". ASUS winning awards is not a "belief" of mine, it's publicly known fact. Poor choice of words on your part.
Yes, i understand that you buy a product from a brand and you imediatelly think is the best thing in the world cause it has an awzome tribal logo on a metal "shield" and how awzome that new company is and is kicking azzes with their innovative solutions, and when they are awarded something daium Son, it haz to be that mediocre amp or that logo on your soundcard, i have news for you:
http://www.asus.com/
And you come with stuff like Asus won great awards and pretend it defenitly had to do with that specific card. Pure fanboyism all the way.

Quote:
Outdated CPU emulated EAX? EAX itself is outdated! So is the notion of hardware accelerated audio! And why would you build a gaming computer only to connect a PS3 to it?
Nope, eax is only outdated on your own card, and worse than that, its emulated.

Quote:
Greater performance, sound quality, sound effect? Maybe if the game uses EAX... which most don't. And at least the STX has a headphone amp, cheap or not. It can power 600 ohm Beyerdynamics without complaints.
This part shows exactly what you know about gaming soundcards, you know nothing.

Quote:
I never said you've said the Titanium HD's amp was better than the STX's. I said you were comparing, there's a difference.
Yes there is, the difference is you have failed into trying to make a point, as usual.

Quote:
A very small percentage, yes. Again, most games these days do not use any form of hardware accelerated sound.
Im sorry you've said and i quote: "Modern games do not use hardware accelerated sound anymore, so who cares" games these days use hardware acceleration, and i have proven wrong, dont distort your posts please.

Quote:
Again, UT3 is not a modern or popular or current game. Is this your desperate example? Next time you want to talk about games, remember your own choice of words (i.e. current).
And yet, it wasnt the only on my list and my list is far from beying the only ones currently available or modern, so GG on that, so no, this is not my desperate example, this is your desperate example to say that nothing exists, ut3 is still played even though not popular its still modern aswell, latest patch and expansion pack released in 03-06-2009.

Quote:
Again, you have a misunderstanding on how each card handles resources. There's no point in me trying to explain it to you again. You're obviously not capable of understanding that concept.
Theres no point in you trying to pretend that you know how they are handled either and thats the reason why you fail once more to disprove something since you dont know what to make up next to induce people into the error that titanium HD emulates everything just like your card.

Quote:
A majority of your posts are meaningless because you have no idea what you're talking about. Doesn't matter if I choice edit or not, you're still lacking basics when it comes to sound hardware on the PC. Titanium HD does not have "an average amp", it has no amp. You finished yet?
Funny! its usually me correcting your indoctrination about computer gaming soundcards and computer games.
Yes, Titanium HD doesnt have your average amp, it doesnt need to, anyone knows a decent amp makes your average amp bite the dust and so did creative when releasing this card, so why making a wannabe card which will fail to be the real thing? instead, in features it offers the essentials which yours lacks, namely optical in/out (have fun with your petty spdif out), DTS, and all the features that the gamers want are all available in the titanium HD, which again yours is a total joke by comparison, can you say the same about mine compared to yours in sound quality? i think not

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 04-29-2012 at 16:46.

Old
  (#63)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 15:53 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimbo View Post
Man, why are you so angry about the Xonar ST/STX?
It's marketed by Asus as a music enthusiast card and does the job admirably.
Im not angry about the soundcard, however when someone wants a gaming sound card and is suggested one which is emulated by the cpu with really nothing to offer on the gaming departament except the emulated eax2.0 over one which offers both the same(or better) sound quality, better balanced opamps and has indeed all those gaming features possible in today modern games, i have to demand their justification (and that justification is built in amp, give me a freaking break)...

Old
  (#64)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 04-29-2012, 16:36 | posts: 16,158 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

OK, stop now. No need to further ruin the thread. If you like your cards great but others like different cards for various reasons so leave it at that.
The TitanHD excels at certain tasks and the Xonars excel at certain tasks and people should buy the card that suits their needs the best.

I have tested both card and I won't just blindly suggest one over the other it depends on the context in which the card will be used. Both the CL and ASUS cards have their pros and cons.

Leave it at that.

Old
  (#65)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-29-2012, 16:42 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
OK, stop now. No need to further ruin the thread. If you like your cards great but others like different cards for various reasons so leave it at that.
The TitanHD excels at certain tasks and the Xonars excel at certain tasks and people should buy the card that suits their needs the best.

I have tested both card and I won't just blindly suggest one over the other it depends on the context in which the card will be used. Both the CL and ASUS cards have their pros and cons.

Leave it at that.
ROBSCIX, i only have 1 last question for you and i hope it wont offend you:

Between Asus Xonar Essence STX and Creative X-FI Titanium HD, which would you choose for gaming? the OP original request was a gaming sound card, this is what ticks me off about this thread.

Old
  (#66)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 04-29-2012, 17:23 | posts: 16,158 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Quote:
ROBSCIX, i only have 1 last question for you and i hope it wont offend you:

Between Asus Xonar Essence STX and Creative X-FI Titanium HD, which would you choose for gaming? the OP original request was a gaming sound card, this is what ticks me off about this thread.
It is not a black and white questions as really it depends on the game.

If your games make use of hardware features such as EAX/OpenAL then I would go with the card that offers that support But

If the games you are playing has a built in effects engine which is becoming more and more common then the card that has the best overall sound quality will give you the best results.

It really depends on what features the person is after and I think the idea of only a CL card being suitable for gaming is long gone.
Games the require a hardware based card are becoming few and far between.

It's a personal decision I guess as the person needs to decide what features they need and go with that.

Based on the original posting, I wouldn't recommend a Titanium HD as it only offers stereo through analog. For a hardware gamer type card, if I was him I would try and find a Prelude, Forte or HTHD 7.1. For non hardware types, Xonars or others that have the features you want.

Last edited by ROBSCIX; 04-29-2012 at 17:32.

Old
  (#67)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 04-29-2012, 17:37 | posts: 16,158 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeked View Post
Hi,

So a while ago i designed a gaming rig here on guru3d and picked out the Asus Xonar D2X as my sound card. During the initial buy i somehow overlooked buying the soundcard and have now got the time and money to purchase it. If you cant tell i have no idea what to do when it comes to Sound so any and all help is welcomed.

Since then im sure there have been some changes to the sound card market so heres what im looking for:

Top range Gaming Sound card, 7.1 channel
Top range headset, mic not needed but dont mind
Top range speakers, to match card for channels

Now, i dont mind the cost as long as the money goes to something on the equipment that merits the cost.

I have been looking at the following 2 sound cards:
- ASUS Xonar Essence STX 7.1
- Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

And in terms of speakers:
- Creative GigaWorks S750

But i wouldnt have any idea whats good, what works together or where to start.

I guess first off, what do you need to know of my current rig to help?

Regards,
Jeked
The Xonar STX is only a stereo card. You can go with a Xonar ST Deluxe which is surround sound.
I would ignore the Recons as there are much better cards available.
If you want surround sound and hardware gaming routines such as EAX 1,2,3,4&5 and OpenAL. I would try and find a Auzentech Prelude 7.1, Forte 7.1 or a Auzen HTHD 7.1.
Those cards are considered the best for hardware gaming cards that offer 7.1 surround sound.

If those features are not that important to you go with one of the Xonar series as you were considering or other cards from Auzen, HT Omega..etc.
As for speakers, I suggest staying away from the "PC" types and going with a higher end system meant for HT usage. This type of speaker system will give you the best sound for your games.
As for headphones, I suggest avoiding the "gamer" type of headphones and going for a set that is just considered a great headphone no matter what you play. A set from Sennheiser, Beyer,Grado..etc

There is lots of great gear available, do some research, ask questions and buy gear that is the best for your needs.

Last edited by ROBSCIX; 04-29-2012 at 18:46.

Old
  (#68)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-30-2012, 00:06 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
The Xonar STX is only a stereo card. You can go with a Xonar ST Deluxe which is surround sound.
I would ignore the Recons as there are much better cards available.
If you want surround sound and hardware gaming routines such as EAX 1,2,3,4&5 and OpenAL. I would try and find a Auzentech Prelude 7.1, Forte 7.1 or a Auzen HTHD 7.1.
Those cards are considered the best for hardware gaming cards that offer 7.1 surround sound.

If those features are not that important to you go with one of the Xonar series as you were considering or other cards from Auzen, HT Omega..etc.
As for speakers, I suggest staying away from the "PC" types and going with a higher end system meant for HT usage. This type of speaker system will give you the best sound for your games.
As for headphones, I suggest avoiding the "gamer" type of headphones and going for a set that is just considered a great headphone no matter what you play. A set from Sennheiser, Beyer,Grado..etc

There is lots of great gear available, do some research, ask questions and buy gear that is the best for your needs.
In addition to that information, i would suggest you to take a look or test the following 3.5mm (standard) headphones:
100$ range
Sony MDR-XB700, they are just amazing for both music and games, the mids and highs are good, but the best is its lows, the bass is so strong you will not find anything close on any other brand (or at least i couldnt).

500$ range
Sony MDR-Z1000, if you want the so called audiophile headphones, lesser bass but higher frequency range try these out.

Imo its not worth wasting so much money on a pair of headphones just for the "transparency sound output" if it doesnt have an attitude and sounds as if everything is flat, nothing overcoming nothing it gets really boring, but thats just me, other people like it, most people who work at studios will use these types of headphones so they can easelly monitor as many sounds as possible and do some tweaks if necessary.
So it depends what suits your style im pretty sure u dont care for this audiophile crap and just want some headphones to enjoy listening too, the advantage of those mdr-z1000 is that it offers incredible frequency range from 5-80000hz and does all that without needing a headphone amp using a 3.5mm jack which you can plug them in pretty much anything including mp3 players (the mdr-xb700 too are 3.5mm jacks).

Anyways these are just suggestions, ive tested a few sennheiser models and i didnt like them one bit, they sounded clear and even but that easelly reminded me of 20 dollars headphones. (Not trying to offend anyone).

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 04-30-2012 at 00:13.

Old
  (#69)
heymian
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 FTW
Processor: Intel i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87-A
Memory: G.Skill 2133 16GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar ST
PSU: Corsair AX860
Default 04-30-2012, 01:09 | posts: 513 | Location: U.S.

Those frequency ranges were achieved under ideal conditions in a laboratory environment. They are not indicitive of real world performance, it's just marketing. Besides, the 20 KHz range is around the limit of human hearing. And I understand you like Sony headphones, I used them in high school, but there really are better options available for the money.

Also, assuming ROBSCIX doesn't care about audiophile equipment?

Old
  (#70)
DirkHardpeck
Master Guru

Default 04-30-2012, 01:36 | posts: 252 | Location: NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymian View Post

Also, assuming ROBSCIX doesn't care about audiophile equipment?
He was referring to OP

Old
  (#71)
elkosith
Maha Guru

Videocard: 9600 GT :(
Processor: Intel E7300 @ 3 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Memory: DDR2 800 2 x 1GB
Soundcard: Topping D2 + Blow4
PSU: 420 Watts
Default 04-30-2012, 02:44 | posts: 1,174 | Location: Indonesia

Quote:
Windows processing is an expensive word for emulated software sound processing, and emulated software usually is emulated by the main general task processor, aka cpu, there has been numerous experienced reviews in other than audiophile sections doing a comparison between cpu usage running xonar stx and creative titanium hd, i have a dual core core2duo cpu and its running at 0-1% when playing 320kbs music.

Im talking about asus xonar stx, by no means im talking about asus xonar st, the hardware filter presented in asus xonar st that i was talking about is the following:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/461715/the-...t-vs-xonar-stx

Now are you 100% your card is asus xonar STX?
Sorry mate, the link lead to nothing about filtering hardware. The thread itself has no content whatsoever. Only one poster saying about reclocking chip. It's not a filter. If i'm not mistaken, it's for reclocking the digital data to minimize jitter. And we still need a valid source for that info too.

YES I'm 100% sure my card it the STX (what a silly question that is)

Old
  (#72)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 04-30-2012, 08:35 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkosith View Post
Sorry mate, the link lead to nothing about filtering hardware. The thread itself has no content whatsoever. Only one poster saying about reclocking chip. It's not a filter. If i'm not mistaken, it's for reclocking the digital data to minimize jitter. And we still need a valid source for that info too.

YES I'm 100% sure my card it the STX (what a silly question that is)
Are you saying that you do not believe the ST has that extra hardware over the STX?
Almost every review who compares both speaks about that really.

Old
  (#73)
elkosith
Maha Guru

Videocard: 9600 GT :(
Processor: Intel E7300 @ 3 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Memory: DDR2 800 2 x 1GB
Soundcard: Topping D2 + Blow4
PSU: 420 Watts
Default 04-30-2012, 12:23 | posts: 1,174 | Location: Indonesia

Quote:
Are you saying that you do not believe the ST has that extra hardware over the STX?
Almost every review who compares both speaks about that really.
I never said I don't believe. I'm just less informed than you. I asked you about the hardware, hoping that you can provide more detailed information, but you lead me to a forum thread that has no valuable information instead.

I'm done with this conversation regarding STX in this thread. Sorry I didn't read the whole thread before I replied.

Old
  (#74)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 04-30-2012, 14:26 | posts: 16,158 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

@elkosith
The ST has an additional chip, the CS2000, IIRC that "reclocks" the timing signal making it a bit more precise. I would never call it a filter though, it is a timing chip.

Old
  (#75)
Tacoboy
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS 6870
Processor: Amd Quad 945
Mainboard: Gigabyte 880G
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Soundcard: Essence STX
PSU: Antec 750W
Default 04-30-2012, 23:24 | posts: 290 | Location: Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Yeah, all those picks are pretty solid. I actually own DT770's but I don't think they are the 600 ohm version, I actually prefer the Denon AH-D2000's to the version I have though. In terms of closed ear headphones, I think the D2000's are the best for the price. That being said, I hate closed ear now and I'm probably going to end up selling my 2000.
I believe the DT770 600-Ohm model is very rare limited production model of the DT770s.

Closed Thread