Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Anyway to download the non enhanced edition of The Witcher 2?
Old
  (#1)
hlhbk
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default Anyway to download the non enhanced edition of The Witcher 2? - 04-26-2012, 03:01 | posts: 83

I am experiencing terrible pop in since installing the enhanced edition of the Witcher 2, and want to try to down grade to 2.0. I have the GOG version. Any way to do this? I don't have the origional install files.

Old
  (#2)
dchalf10
Banned

Videocard: GTX670 1293/6800
Processor: i7-870@3.84ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte 1156 UD3H
Memory: 4GB 1600CL8
Soundcard: Yamaha 7.2
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 04-26-2012, 03:11 | posts: 4,035

The EE version does not change pop in at all. You may have tweaked the original files which defaulted after the patch.

Old
  (#3)
hlhbk
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-26-2012, 03:26 | posts: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalf10 View Post
The EE version does not change pop in at all. You may have tweaked the original files which defaulted after the patch.
I am hearing completely different things around the net. People are experencing the same issues as me. Changing the config file has no change on the issues that are present.

Old
  (#4)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 04-26-2012, 06:19 | posts: 1,040

Quote:
Yepp, the EE version does not change any texture, image or mesh pop_in/pop_out when compared to Version 2.0.

Old
  (#5)
dchalf10
Banned

Videocard: GTX670 1293/6800
Processor: i7-870@3.84ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte 1156 UD3H
Memory: 4GB 1600CL8
Soundcard: Yamaha 7.2
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 04-26-2012, 06:20 | posts: 4,035

What pop in are you experiencing? There are certain shadows that pop in as you walk but it's not severe and it's obviously an optimisation thing and not a bug. Is that what you meant or are actual objects popping in up close?

Old
  (#6)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X Vapor-X OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 04-26-2012, 07:03 | posts: 9,633 | Location: Sweden

Model and texture detail changes as you get closer or further away from objects, vegetation is very easy to test this on as you just find a grass object or similar and walk close to it and then back again, after a few steps back it should shrink into a low-detail model with basic shadows and when stepping forward it'll again grow into a full detail model.

The various ini changes and similar allows more of the low-detail objects to be rendered further away from the player but it does not change the pop-in effect described above.

EDIT: Yeah it seems to be part of the optimizations added to patch 1.1, I don't remember how much it was discussed but I guess they altered the LOD system.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/User_b...h_1.1_Released

Quote:
Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 04-26-2012 at 07:31.

Old
  (#7)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 04-26-2012, 07:25 | posts: 1,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
Model and texture detail changes as you get closer or further away from objects, vegetation is very easy to test this on as you just find a grass object or similar and walk close to it and then back again, after a few steps back it should shrink into a low-detail model with basic shadows and when stepping forward it'll again grow into a full detail model.

The various ini changes and similar allows more of the low-detail objects to be rendered further away from the player but it does not change the pop-in effect described above.
That issue is present from version 1.2(all versions thereafter) if I am correct.

If someone wants to prove it wrong, screen shots _ Video showing the difference between 2.0 and EE would be very helpful than just being misinformed or conceptualized.

Old
  (#8)
hlhbk
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-26-2012, 20:36 | posts: 83

Quote:
What pop in are you experiencing? There are certain shadows that pop in as you walk but it's not severe and it's obviously an optimisation thing and not a bug. Is that what you meant or are actual objects popping in up close?
All objects (people, tents, rocks, grass) are suddenly appearing as I am walking 5 feet away from me. If I take a step back they disappear. I have tried ever .ini tweak I can find and the effect never changes.