Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

Crossfire, microstutter and frame limiting
Old
  (#1)
Shaneus
Master Guru

Videocard: 5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
Processor: Core i5-2500K @ 4.9GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: 16GB Gskill RipjawsX
Soundcard: Yamaha MW10/Asus Xonar U1
PSU: TT Toughpower 750W
Default Crossfire, microstutter and frame limiting - 04-08-2012, 02:14 | posts: 263 | Location: Geelong, Australia

Hey guys,

I couldn't find a thread or post specific enough with the information I'm looking for, so hopefully someone can answer a few things quickly for me!

Firstly: Limiting frames whilst using CFX to reduce microstutter. Is there a specific number i should use? As in, refreshrate, refreshrate+1, refreshrate-1... can't seem to find a solid answer.

Secondly: What's the difference between D3DOverrider, RTSS and the MSI OSD server included with Afterburner? They all seem to have the same GUI and features. Given I use Afterburner anyway for overclocking, should I just use the one with that?

To be honest, I'm more than a little excited with the (to me) revelation of using a framerate limiter to reduce microstutter so if I can find out the recommended settings and software, I'd be stoked.

Old
  (#2)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 04-08-2012, 02:40 | posts: 16,309 | Location: US East Coast

RTSS = unsupported

The OSD built into Afterburner is the same one used for RivaTuner.

The exact framerate limit you set should make no difference so long as both cards can render the same number of frames consistantly. Framerate limiting will not force the cards to operating in "sync" with each other so, it may not correct micro-stuttering anyway (this also wasn't the intention behind framerate limiting anyway).

Old
  (#3)
adrock311
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4ghz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory: 8 gb DDR3 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: 850 watt Thermaltake
Default 04-08-2012, 03:25 | posts: 753

excellent thread title. ATI should have addressed all these problems long ago IMO - BF3 without vsync in crossfire runs worse than single card for me, massive tearing and variable framerate. (i have to play with vsync on)

Old
  (#4)
slickric21
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 780 SC ACX
Processor: 4770k 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 DG65
Memory: 16Gb Crucial BLX 1600mhz
Soundcard: Realtek 1150
PSU: Corsait GS 800
Default 04-08-2012, 09:09 | posts: 1,956 | Location: U.K

I use 59 for my fps limit as it gives less tearing than 60 for me.
60 hz monitor.

With crossfire you really want triplebuffering forced (Radeonpro or D3Doverider)
Set your flip queue to 0 if you use triplebuffering, it does the same function, only in a less efficient way so best to disable it.
AnAndtech : Triplebuffering , Why we love it
This article explains why multi GPU systems should always use triplebuffering even when you dont vsync.

So you may wanna try limit to 1 below refresh, triplebuffering ON, flip Queue OFF

Old
  (#5)
ipredator
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 680M @980/2400
Processor: Intel i7 980 @4Ghz
Mainboard: Intel X58
Memory: 24GB Corsair 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Inbuilt
PSU: 300W
Default 04-08-2012, 13:20 | posts: 494

I just downloaded Rivatuner and installed it, but can't get D3DOverrider to run! After I click the .exe, nothing happens, it is NOT in my System tray either. Just the process is running. Tried WinXP and Vista compatibility mode, did not work
I've Win7 64bit here, how can I get it to work?
Edit: WTF after 5 minuits that I spent searching google for fixes the program actually started

Last edited by ipredator; 04-08-2012 at 13:31.

Old
  (#6)
adrock311
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4ghz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory: 8 gb DDR3 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: 850 watt Thermaltake
Default 04-08-2012, 17:47 | posts: 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickric21 View Post
I use 59 for my fps limit as it gives less tearing than 60 for me.
60 hz monitor.

With crossfire you really want triplebuffering forced (Radeonpro or D3Doverider)
Set your flip queue to 0 if you use triplebuffering, it does the same function, only in a less efficient way so best to disable it.
AnAndtech : Triplebuffering , Why we love it
This article explains why multi GPU systems should always use triplebuffering even when you dont vsync.

So you may wanna try limit to 1 below refresh, triplebuffering ON, flip Queue OFF
actually in BF3 while using vsync i found a significant reduction in input lag by disabling triple buffering

Old
  (#7)
slickric21
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 780 SC ACX
Processor: 4770k 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 DG65
Memory: 16Gb Crucial BLX 1600mhz
Soundcard: Realtek 1150
PSU: Corsait GS 800
Default 04-08-2012, 18:00 | posts: 1,956 | Location: U.K

I bet you did, as you are probably running ingame render ahead and driver flip queue at default eg 3 frames, with triplebuffering on top of this its a mixed frame buffer of 6.

Try disabling render ahead in game AND set flip queue to 0, THEN enable 'proper' triplebuffering with radeonpro.

Give it a try see if you like it, i much prefer triplebuffering to render ahead/flip queue, feels smoother with less slow downs.

Edit: i need to rephrase this last sentence.
I prefer triplebuffering as it gives all the smoothness of renderahead 3, yet with the ability to discard uneeded frames- so it maintains its smoothness at low/high fps. Renderahead 3 feels laggy at high fps.

Last edited by slickric21; 04-08-2012 at 18:50.

Old
  (#8)
Pantsu

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: Asus Z68-V
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Champion
PSU: Super Flower 650W modular
Default 04-11-2012, 10:49 | posts: 16 | Location: Finland

Personally I didn't find changing render ahead in BF3 to make much of a difference. To reduce micro-stutter (and perhaps tearing too) you'll have to set the framerate limit lower than what you normally get. This is of course a bit problematic since you'd need to limit it at min FPS to remove all stutter. If you set the limit to avarage FPS the game will start stuttering in the worst possible moments, i.e. when it's below avarage.

Old
  (#9)
Shaneus
Master Guru

Videocard: 5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
Processor: Core i5-2500K @ 4.9GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: 16GB Gskill RipjawsX
Soundcard: Yamaha MW10/Asus Xonar U1
PSU: TT Toughpower 750W
Default 04-11-2012, 14:54 | posts: 263 | Location: Geelong, Australia

Cheers for the tips, ric et al.! Had a play around with the triple-buffering (seems that's the most important), frame limiting and flip queue, managed to get a fair result from that just by hittiing 59fps. Still got a little tearing after that, but then enabling vsync brought it into line with only the slightest hint of microstutter.

For some reason I had a feeling that limiting frames was meant to be used instead of rather than as well as vsync, but maybe not. This was all in iRacing mind you... deliberately picked a game that I knew wouldn't tax the system just to be sure that any settings I played with weren't restricted by hardware as well as the setting itself.

Again, thanks for the pointers

Old
  (#10)
OlivierMDVY
Master Guru

Videocard: HD7970@1150/1500MHz
Processor: Intel I7 860@3.8Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Memory: 8GB G-Skill PC10600@1450
Soundcard: Altec Lansing 621
PSU: Seasonic X650
Default 04-12-2012, 12:02 | posts: 213 | Location: France

I use two 5850 crossfired.
To avoid microsutters with the game pCARS (with in-game vsync enabled) I use MSI Afterburner and set the value 60 for the frame limiter.

And guess what? It works fine
Don't know why...