GeForce 290.36 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alanm, Nov 28, 2011.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    [​IMG] NVIDIA GeForce 290.36 Win 7 Vista 64-bit
    [​IMG] NVIDIA GeForce 290.36 Win 7 Vista 32-bit
    [​IMG] NVIDIA GeForce 290.36 XP 32-bit

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64-290.36-beta-driver.html

release notes: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/290.36/290.36-Win7-WinVista-Desktop-Release-Notes.pdf

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. didomido

didomido Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 1GB
    gonna try it now.

3. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    sweet, cheers for the headsup

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yay a new toy!

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    :wanker::wanker::wanker:
    gonna :banana: on my gpu :pc1::biggun:

6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Thanks Alanm, much appreciated :banana:

7. DarKGuru

DarKGuru Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 560 TI DCUII
    I wonder if this helps perf in anyway, especially in Arkham City.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Sweet! Downloading now.

9. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    cool stuff

EDIT:

Some Key Bug Fixes
    • Fixes random flickering as Windows boot logo is loading or fading away.
    • Fixes corruption in Crysis 2 with SLI and lower quality shadow settings.
    • Fixes ability to set Surround resolutions to 5760x1080 (requires setting custom resolution).
    • Fixes some random instances of triangular artifacts when playing Battlefield 3.
    • Improved performance in Elders Scroll: Skyrim
    • Fixes white dots appear in the edges of objects in NFS-ProStreet game with AA enabled
    • Fixes blood is green color when AA is set to 4X or 8X from in-game video settings
    • Fixes blank screen on certain Apple Macintosh computers running Windows
    • Fixes negative SLI scaling in Anno 1404 with two-way, three-way or four-way SLI

10. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Cool stuff idd, installing and testing, wonder if they will be better then the last BF3 beta's

11. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Nice drivers from the info.But the performance improvements are more like a push and pull balance scale:get more performance in one title while lowering it in others.
    But who cares,right,if Skyrim has some 0,5 - 1 % better FPS :)

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What's with NVIDIA skipping through the version numbers these days instead of refining/improving the drivers within the same branch?

I can't help but wonder if the TDR issues, introduced post-275 series, the flickering Windows boot screen and other annoyances that are plaguing other people (but thankfully not me) are because of this. I expected a newer, improved version of the 285 drivers but instead it's leaped to 290, implying that this is yet another entirely NEW driver.

That said, I haven't had any issues really with any of the drivers anyway but it's disappointing that Batman: Arkham City isn't mentioned in the release notes apart from for PhysX as I thought the new driver was for that game. Yes, I know the DX11 bug is related to the engine not the drivers but I still expected these to be further optimised for the game. :(

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. I'd be interested to hear how much these improve performance in Skyrim, especially as the framerate drops appear to be mostly caused by offloading the shadow rendering to the CPU instead of the GPU. I'm not quite sure how drivers can help with that but I guess I should keep an open mind! ;)

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Been waiting for this, downloading now =]

15. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Your logic's a bit busted. What do you consider an "entirely new" driver? What makes it different from releasing the same driver except versioned as 285.99 or something?

The new major revision number means it came from another driver branch. But that driver branch isn't a "new" or completely re-written driver. At it's core that other driver branch is just an extension of what the previous driver had anyway. Sometimes a new branch has a new major feature or something (like when they changed the installer), but in general the same code and all the latest changes go into the driver each time.

They're not re-writing the driver constantly, it's always an evolution regardless of whether the minor version number changes or the major version number changes.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @Sr7 - Well as I mentioned NVIDIA introduced the TDR bug and flickering boot screen going from the 275 to 280 driver branch, I believe, and I've read people claim some newer games run better on older rather than new drivers.

Seems like every time there's a major issue reported with the driver, NVIDIA jump to the next set with its own unique issue rather than fixing the issue(s) in the existing branch. At least that how it seems to me anyway but I accept I may be wrong. :)

I'd imagine though that a lot of people will be glad to see the back of the 280/285 series drivers if it really has fixed the TDR and corrupted boot screen issues. I just hope that it hasn't broken something else in the process... like the fans... ;)

17. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Thats the way moving forward with tons of driver changes works though. Minor revisions = they don't change as many things, or change things as drastically, but then again the driver releases are a lot more similar to one another. Major revisions have more potential to bring new features and fixes, as well as performance improvements, but because they're limited in what they can test and how they can test it, they're going to bring other issues along with it (hopefully minor issues, if their testing coverage is good).

My point is if there was a known solid fix for the TDR issue some people started seeing, they could just as easily put it into the 290.xx branch as in the older branch. If they put it in the older branch, then someone will find some other bug and say "just fix this one bug and re-release"... it would never end. In the last few drivers, they made a few fixes that addressed some TDR issues they observed, but as far as I know they don't know exactly what causes for the problem remain.... so stalling on releasing new drivers for a problem they don't have a clear understanding on wouldn't really benefit anyone.

18. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    WOW ! two beta releases in a row .

Seems WHQL will include tons of fixes.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't suppose these improve the DX11 performance in Batman AC do they?

20. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    The WHQL will be the same as whatever the last Beta was you don't need to wait for the WHQL release for bug fixes.