Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

Old
  (#326)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Videocard: NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
Processor: Intel 2600K @4600 MHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: 2x4GBCorsairVengeanc1600
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D USB
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 12-12-2010, 02:13 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3lurx311 View Post
so after using the twl cleaner/installer it should be installed and rebooting I should be ready to go no more steps needed after that?
The Cleaner-Installer should ask you if you want to install driver. Yes. No. Maybe. Naturally it's Yes, Setup.exe should start, install Catalyst, reboot, end.

Old
  (#327)
l3lurx311

Videocard: xfx ati 5700
Processor: intel q8200
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 650
Default 12-12-2010, 02:17 | posts: 5

okay when i click yes the twl cleaner/installer closes but nothing else happens...
any ideas?

Old
  (#328)
sirmotto

Videocard: 2x5970 watercooled
Processor: Intel i7 975+corsair H70
Mainboard: GigabyteUD7 watercooled
Memory: 6gb Kingst-X DDR3 2000CL8
Soundcard: bosse companion 5
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1250W
Default 12-12-2010, 02:45 | posts: 4 | Location: Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dach View Post
"sirmotto has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her." I have to reply publicly to your private message.

Hi there, problem with "not reciveing private messages" fixed , and also fixed problem with drivers. Bbc2, dirt2, cs, cod-black ops all are ok now, not sure with the rest of the games. I'm running 10.5a now after 5 nights of hardcore bsod and a total of 5 monts of pain caused by the ****ED ati drivers, excuse my language, but believe me, I've reached my limits. Complete incompetent morons those from amd, I shoud asq for may money back coz of the drivers asap! it's like they gave u a car but u can't drive it coz u have no gas, isnt' that nice? Other than that it's ok with "desktop driver crashed and it was restarted" - missing profile but fixed that one too by connecting my tv.
Thanx alot Von for your reply!
Me? I'll become green again with nvidia, hope it'll end the nighmare

Old
  (#329)
l3lurx311

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 12-12-2010, 03:25 | posts: 5

I finally got mine to install.

I ran it with out the dummy cap first and the performance in black ops was worse.

With the dummy cap it seems to be good and smooth ecept for the fact that all the trees are flickering black in and out which wasn't too nice.

Old
  (#330)
TwL
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
Processor: I7-980 + I5-2500K
Mainboard: UD7+ROG & P8Z68-V Deluxe
Memory: Elpida Hyper
Soundcard: RealTek
PSU: OCZ GXS 850w+1200w
Default 12-12-2010, 14:36 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Quote:
I finally got mine to install.

I ran it with out the dummy cap first and the performance in black ops was worse.

With the dummy cap it seems to be good and smooth ecept for the fact that all the trees are flickering black in and out which wasn't too nice.
Hmm, since this game happens to be on my test schedule next gonna see what it says. What's the level you are at the game?

Old
  (#331)
l3lurx311

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 12-12-2010, 18:48 | posts: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwL View Post
Hmm, since this game happens to be on my test schedule next gonna see what it says. What's the level you are at the game?
Are you asking what maps are giving me the flickers?

if so it is any map that has trees!

If you are asking what my level is in the game I have prestiged three times.

Also last night I started getting stuttering worse than I ever have I am gonna check that out today.

My video card is a 5770.

Old
  (#332)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-12-2010, 22:56 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

[Outdated ]

Last edited by Von Dach; 01-07-2011 at 09:24.

Old
  (#333)
bhstr99

Videocard: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Processor: AMD Pheonom
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 450w
Default 12-12-2010, 23:02 | posts: 16

Quote:
Are you asking what maps are giving me the flickers?

if so it is any map that has trees!

If you are asking what my level is in the game I have prestiged three times.

Also last night I started getting stuttering worse than I ever have I am gonna check that out today.

My video card is a 5770.
With the Dummycap i got so much stuttering, but with the CAP4 It runs pretty well

Texture: High

Old
  (#334)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 12-13-2010, 17:21 | posts: 1,099

Hey, Von Dach and TwL.

I have been using the drivers modified by both of you from a very long time, so I want thank you both for putting such an effort of your time into the drivers to make it perfect and both of you have my sincere respect sirs.

Everything about the drivers are fine and excellent. But I have a lone,request.

after Catalyst 10.8, I haven't been able to use any form or kind of Anti Aliasing in Window Mode for Warcraft 3 (and Frozen Throne) in DirectX mode (game engine uses DirectX 8).

I have also posted two bug reports on Catalyst feedback page regarding this, but .. i feel other projects have priority over this and been ignored as its minor. Also starting a thread on the AMD user forums, has sought no reply or viable fix.

Any suggestions, or a possible way to fix this.

Note: Playing the game in full screen or in Open GL Mode solves the problem...but the game only supports 4:3 aspect ratio and I got a wide screen... also playing the game in window mode has its perk to multi task various things in the background.

I cherish this game a lot, play on LAN, VPN and among friends regularly..so..please help. As playing this old game in 24xAA Edge Detect AA and 16xAF really puts this games old graphics upto par.

Last edited by Raiga; 12-15-2010 at 07:54.

Old
  (#335)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-13-2010, 20:24 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Hey, Von Dach and TwL.

I have been using the drivers modified by both of you from a very long time, so I want thank you both for putting such an effort of your time into the drivers to make it perfect and both of you have my sincere respect sirs.

From Catalyst 10.7 and soo, I haven't been able to use any form or kind of Anti Aliasing in Window Mode for Warcraft 3 (and Frozen Throne) in DirectX mode (game engine uses DirectX 8).

I have also posted two bug reports on Catalyst feedback page regarding this, but .. i feel other projects have priority over this and been ignored as its minor. Also starting a thread on the AMD user forums, has sought no reply or viable fix.

Note: Playing the game in full screen or in Open GL Mode solves the problem...but the game only supports 4:3 aspect ratio and I got a wide screen... also playing the game in window mode has its perk to multi task various things in the background.

I cherish this game a lot, play on LAN, VPN and among friends regularly..so..please help. As playing this old game in 24xAA Edge Detect AA and 16xAF really puts this games old graphics upto par.
Ask TwL on his thread maybe he can do something, I'm not advanced enough for that. But a non-driver way to help yourself may be to buy a second monitor (Nvidia keep second screen 2D active, I don't know for AMD)? or to Alt-Tab from fullscreen when needed (if the game permit it)?

Edit: I think it's Santa for you today (in some way), new 10.12 Preview, http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx

"Setup multiple displays to increase productivity", I think you should invest in a second monitor (or find a old one).

Last edited by Von Dach; 12-13-2010 at 22:01.

Old
  (#336)
Sevenz
Member Guru

Videocard: ATI HD4870 512MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Mainboard: Intel DG31PR
Memory: Corsair DDR2 4GB 4-4-4-12
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek HD Audio
PSU: CM Silent Pro M 600 W
Default 12-13-2010, 21:41 | posts: 93

You may fix the link above by removing the colon ":"

Old
  (#337)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-14-2010, 10:17 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

AMD Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP) Von Switcher 10.12
Long story short, when you remove Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP), a lot of issues seem to evaporate, specially for CFX on some games.
http://www.filefront.com/17646634/AM...tcher 10.12.7z
http://www.multiupload.com/JKP9XYXN0H

Watch out if you mod new CCC2 with Von Tweaks, when you enter a game, your system may freeze or crash. It's not the tweaks in itself, I did tests. CCC2 don't like to show settings not for your card (at least in my case), you can still activate and modify them, but if you get system crash, you will have to kill processes CCC.exe & MOM.exe before entering game to fix this. Personally I already do that to max reduce DPC anyway. Your modified settings will still be active.
Old CCC work good with them, it may be a HD4xxx and older specific CCC2 issue.

Edit:

AMD Catalyst Von Mod Pack v1.1
AMD Catalyst TwL Cleaner v3.8.0 + AMD Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP) Von Switcher 10.12 + AMD Catalyst Von Tweaks v1.1. All-In-One package.
http://www.filefront.com/17649603/AM...d Pack v1.1.7z
http://www.multiupload.com/4F6E02Z3LU

AMD Catalyst Von Tweaks v1.1
http://www.filefront.com/17649604/AM...Tweaks v1.1.7z
http://www.multiupload.com/NGEPNJJFTD

Not big deal over v1.0, I just choose to enable Surface Format Replacement and found that Catalyst AI Advanced still improve responsiveness in BF:BC2, so it's back my default now.

Last edited by Von Dach; 12-14-2010 at 21:51.

Old
  (#338)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 12-15-2010, 17:27 | posts: 1,099

Hi, Von..on your suggestion I requested TWL about my issue.. and I wouldn't need to spend more money to my work around for that issue. ^_^.. Thank you.

Posting my issue and the TWL's exlaination of the issue here. So that others who had this issue can also fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga
From Catalyst 10.7(actually from 10.9 and onwards) and soo, I haven't been able to use any form or kind of Anti Aliasing in Window Mode for Warcraft 3 (and Frozen Throne) in DirectX mode (game engine uses DirectX 8).
Issue here is the 'pag' driver not the display driver. When you drop an D3D DX10-11 game to windowed it uses different modules to pass through.

as for DX8-9 we are talking about 'atiu9xx.dll' file you are looking here, but this is still weird as basically it would still allow the AA levels normally as even on my current build.
(coming back to the subject later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga

well, if you are using Vista/7 machine fix is pretty easy. Just drop 'atiu9xx.dll', 'atiumdag.dll' and 'atiuxpag.dll' files from 10.7a to the Warcraft folder, if this does not work then the problem is deeper implemented and then it would reguire 'atitmmxx.dll'/'atitmm64.dll' and tmp switch which you again cannot do without implementing them to driver or manually adding them to system folders where you cannot modify the tmp and that installs as pcom module handling the code would have to be installed with driver.
As required.

I copied the following files from Catalysy 10.7 WIN 7 WHQL drivers, to the game folder.

Files:
atiu9pag.dll
atiumdag.dll
atiuxpag.dll

And IT WORKS...Sir, you are really talented. I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH (WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO).

Thank you Sir. Hats off..

BOTH TWL and VON.

Windows Server 2008 R2
Old
  (#339)
DaveThyRave

Videocard: MSI 6870 Twin Frozr II
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Mainboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: OCZ DDR3-1600 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX
Question Windows Server 2008 R2 - 12-16-2010, 09:16 | posts: 20 | Location: California

Hey Von, I got a question for you.

Right now I'm kinda desperate for help, as I just received my MSI 6870 today and haven't been able to use it once.

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 and I can't install the drivers through the Catalyst install manager.

I've Googled this, and apparently it's an unsupported operating system. Normally I wouldn't care, but right now I'm using it and it would be very inconvenient for me to install Windows 7.

So, I'm wondering if you could somehow do something about this or already know a solution. I know you can install just the driver through device manager, but that just isn't gonna cut it.

If there's nothing that can be done, than I guess I'll have to deal with it for now, unfortunately. It just pains me to see that my first huge graphics upgrade, coming from a 9600 GT, and my first ATI/AMD card is already giving me buyers remorse.

Much appreciated.

Old
  (#340)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2010, 09:29 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Maximize your Windows timer resolution
http://www.lucashale.com/timerresolution/
Just keep this little application open in the background, reduce DPC Latency, improve responsiveness. Good workaround particularly for those who are stuck with an enforced HPET On.

I tested this on my workstation dual core who is using a lot of CPU time constantly. HPET is off.

DPC Latency is ~650us at 0.977ms timer resolution (default with my apps running).
DPC Latency is ~190us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized).

I now keep this app running constantly in the background, everything feel snappier.

On my gaming rig, HPET On (for this test purpose only):

DPC Latency is ~100us at 1ms timer resolution (default with DPC Latency Checker running, Windows default is normally 10ms)
DPC Latency is ~10us with some peak at 100us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized)

Entering a game normally bring timer to 1ms but you can improve it even more with this application running in background to 0.5ms. Depending the game and your system you may feel better responsiveness and less stuttering.

Last edited by Von Dach; 12-16-2010 at 09:43.

Old
  (#341)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2010, 09:39 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveThyRave View Post
Hey Von, I got a question for you.

Right now I'm kinda desperate for help, as I just received my MSI 6870 today and haven't been able to use it once.

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 and I can't install the drivers through the Catalyst install manager.

I've Googled this, and apparently it's an unsupported operating system. Normally I wouldn't care, but right now I'm using it and it would be very inconvenient for me to install Windows 7.

So, I'm wondering if you could somehow do something about this or already know a solution. I know you can install just the driver through device manager, but that just isn't gonna cut it.

If there's nothing that can be done, than I guess I'll have to deal with it for now, unfortunately. It just pains me to see that my first huge graphics upgrade, coming from a 9600 GT, and my first ATI/AMD card is already giving me buyers remorse.

Much appreciated.
Surely there is a way to mod the setup routine but I don't know how, you may start a new thread with your problem, it will catch more competent eyes.
But have you tried Compatibility mode?
Right-click Setup.exe> Properties> Compatibility> tick Run this program as Win7 or Vista SP2. (I don't know if you can do that with 2008 R2)

Also in the Config subfolder edit the file InstallManager.cfg, WorkaroundInstall=true.

Old
  (#342)
DaveThyRave

Default 12-16-2010, 09:49 | posts: 20 | Location: California

Quote:
Surely there is a way to mod the setup routine but I don't know how, you may start a new thread with your problem, it will catch more competent eyes.
But have you tried Compatibility mode?
Right-click Setup.exe> Properties> Compatibility> tick Run this program as Win7 or Vista SP2. (I don't know if you can do that with 2008 R2)

Also in the Config subfolder edit the file InstallManager.cfg, WorkaroundInstall=true.
I just may have to start a new thread, especially if a workaround can be found to help other people experiencing the same problem.

But yeah, I've tried compatibility, it's a no-go. I got excited about editing the .cfg, seemed like that would have worked, but sadly didn't

Right now, I'm going through the painful process of installing everything by hand, and then running the .reg files. So far, it's sorta working. Except, CCC isn't in control panel, and some other things.

Thanks for your help and suggestions though

One last thing, if I were to make a new thread.. should it be in this sub-forum?

Old
  (#343)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2010, 09:59 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveThyRave View Post
I just may have to start a new thread, especially if a workaround can be found to help other people experiencing the same problem.

But yeah, I've tried compatibility, it's a no-go. I got excited about editing the .cfg, seemed like that would have worked, but sadly didn't

Right now, I'm going through the painful process of installing everything by hand, and then running the .reg files. So far, it's sorta working. Except, CCC isn't in control panel, and some other things.

Thanks for your help and suggestions though

One last thing, if I were to make a new thread.. should it be in this sub-forum?
Sure, it's related to AMD drivers. Maybe do a forum search first with key words (2008 R2 Catalyst, CCC, etc), maybe there is already solutions posted.

Old
  (#344)
DaveThyRave

Default 12-16-2010, 10:21 | posts: 20 | Location: California

Quote:
Sure, it's related to AMD drivers. Maybe do a forum search first with key words (2008 R2 Catalyst, CCC, etc), maybe there is already solutions posted.
Alright, will do.

Searching was the first thing I did, as I wouldn't want to bother anyone without doing the proper research first.
The only thing I really found was this:
Catalyst [Modified build]
What I didn't catch before, however, was the "Cannot install your package / See Driver/Applications under Windows 2008 Operating System" solution in the thread.

It basically says exactly what you just told me, but backwards.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1306
I think he just got it backwards, as the response to his post points out
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1309

Somehow, he was able to get it working. Now I know there's a lot some hope to get this resolved.

Old
  (#345)
TheGuuH
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x 5770's/GTX765M
Processor: i5 2.5k@4.2/I7 4700HQ
Mainboard: GB Z68MA-DH2-B3
Memory: Patriot 4GB/Corsair 8GB
Soundcard: ALC 889 / Razer Electra
PSU: 7Team 550w
Default 12-16-2010, 10:46 | posts: 298 | Location: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Hey, Von Dach and TwL.

after Catalyst 10.8, I haven't been able to use any form or kind of Anti Aliasing in Window Mode for Warcraft 3 (and Frozen Throne) in DirectX mode (game engine uses DirectX 8).

u can fix ur "widescreen" in the registry... changing to a custom RES, in google u can find it "warcraft 3 custom res"

Mad
Old
  (#346)
DaveThyRave

Angry Mad - 12-16-2010, 12:58 | posts: 20 | Location: California

Just wanted to post something that ticked me off.

After installing the drivers manually as best as I could, I wanted to see how bad my system was doing in comparison to others.

Turns out: the worst

Yep, I achieved the lowest score in my class on 3DMark 11.

Oh happy days.

Old
  (#347)
marcosamerio
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA 680 GTX
Processor: INTEL I5 2500 @ 3.3Ghz
Mainboard: G. Z68XP-UD4 Bios F6
Memory: G.SKILL 8gb 9-9-9-27 @ 2T
Soundcard: Onboard (use headphones)
PSU: CM 1000w GOLD 80+
Default 12-16-2010, 13:07 | posts: 679

Quote:
Maximize your Windows timer resolution
http://www.lucashale.com/timerresolution/
Just keep this little application open in the background, reduce DPC Latency, improve responsiveness. Good workaround particularly for those who are stuck with an enforced HPET On.

I tested this on my workstation dual core who is using a lot of CPU time constantly. HPET is off.

DPC Latency is ~650us at 0.977ms timer resolution (default with my apps running).
DPC Latency is ~190us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized).

I now keep this app running constantly in the background, everything feel snappier.

On my gaming rig, HPET On (for this test purpose only):

DPC Latency is ~100us at 1ms timer resolution (default with DPC Latency Checker running, Windows default is normally 10ms)
DPC Latency is ~10us with some peak at 100us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized)

Entering a game normally bring timer to 1ms but you can improve it even more with this application running in background to 0.5ms. Depending the game and your system you may feel better responsiveness and less stuttering.
Hi Von Dach, could u explain me a bit how this program work, how to put to work on background and if is useless on windows 7

Bya

Old
  (#348)
Von Dach
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2010, 13:25 | posts: 623 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosamerio View Post
Hi Von Dach, could u explain me a bit how this program work, how to put to work on background and if is useless on windows 7

Bya
Just run it, click Maximum and minimize it. The timer resolution will be at 0.5ms for everything running in your system as long as this program will be open.
Yes it is useful for Windows 7.

Animatrix wrote about it years ago in this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=10

Old
  (#349)
marcosamerio
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA 680 GTX
Processor: INTEL I5 2500 @ 3.3Ghz
Mainboard: G. Z68XP-UD4 Bios F6
Memory: G.SKILL 8gb 9-9-9-27 @ 2T
Soundcard: Onboard (use headphones)
PSU: CM 1000w GOLD 80+
Default 12-16-2010, 13:46 | posts: 679

Quote:
Just run it, click Maximum and minimize it. The timer resolution will be at 0.5ms for everything running in your system as long as this program will be open.
Yes it is useful for Windows 7.

Animatrix wrote about it years ago in this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=10
Thanks

Old
  (#350)
AATT
Member Guru

Videocard: Nano
Processor: 6700
Mainboard: Z170
Memory: 2x8 2400@10
Soundcard: USB
PSU: E10 500W
Question 12-16-2010, 17:18 | posts: 129

am i right that i need to do the von dach tweaks on my own now ?
with the stuff listed on the first post, or is von dach planning to release like he did before ?

and can i tweak the new 10.12 or do i need to wait till von dach updates his von tweaks 1.1 ?

cheers