Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

View Poll Results: Should the Official INF be modified or not ?
Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.) 5 8.93%
No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.) 25 44.64%
Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice) 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)
Old
  (#1)
TwL
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
Processor: I7-980 + I5-2500K
Mainboard: UD7+ROG & P8Z68-V Deluxe
Memory: Elpida Hyper
Soundcard: RealTek
PSU: OCZ GXS 850w+1200w
Lightbulb AMD Catalyst (Modified Build) - 05-29-2010, 02:42 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

History of this modified driver:

Idea was never to perform good, but to get back what is not working and after 20-25 builds and over 10-15 Official AMD/ATI builds of drivers. We are
still and will be looking on full functional driver ONLY. OpenGL, OpenCL with-in any setup working correctly. Difficulties on CrossFireX and setups like
ATI+NVIDIA will be bypassed as they come around and build around the issues. All current and every future build will support these no matter even, if
they make me build the slowest driver in earth.

Click to show spoiler

Recent News:

06.06.2012: Updated latest changes to Clean-up v5.01 now including missing paths and verified new data against old data. NVIDIA Section will be gone soon (as there's a new setup not ignoring Batman Arkham Tweaks = stable version, Experimental version is going to be fully functional in PhysX just not in B:AC release).
27.07.2011: New modified driver is attempt to support <any> system. I know from the past that CFX/QFX systems this will be bad move, so, most likely we will see x86/x64/Desktop(single card) + <X>Fire x86/x64 drivers still separated as AMD has not been able to even fix the DirectX 9-11 currently and my honest guess is they are still struggling to get the CPU/GPU processors and hopefully basic processing unit network together + application engineers/developers to actually support their new crap. Sadly at current drivers we have this ain't gonna happen as no one seems to be interested of porting this. Hopefully also I can mod against the DX1x drivers and not these damn alpha/beta/preview/uber future AMD builds.
26.07.2011: New v4.90-5.00 cleaning system begins to be ready. Adding it as soon I've verified and tested it against laptops.
03.07.2011: Started working on 10.2->10.7 preview however there's still some problems on core driver at both 10.6a and 10.7 preview. I can first solutions from earlier drivers, but will build new build against 10.7 soon enough.
01.07.2011: Time is limited, but got hold on new testing equipment working on pretty tight schedule (7 day weeks), but there's some free time now and then, so, currently I am hoping to test the 10.6 hotfixes and build against 10.7 (WHQL).
17.03.2011: Still no word for testing equipment. Missing an decent CFX GPU for testing currently as only component. Beside that and few other probs in real life next build will be here around start of next month at earliest. It is been build never the less, but testing is 100 times slower on current hardware and so I will not even attempt to build.

Older News Archives:

Click to show spoiler

Current Release Information, Changes Log:

Under update...

Instruction Colors:

* New Unexperienced Users: Read and Understand All Colors at least ones.
* Basic Users: Read only COLOR (Verify Bug + Critical notes) + COLOR
* Later on Quick Install: Read the COLOR
* Uber 1337s: You don't need colors: http://crux.nu/

AMD/ATI + NVIDIA - Removal Instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running any command line CMD files without admistrative privileges [OEM PCs, Mobility PCs, etc]
There's an way to go through the Admin platform which a lot people here has as an issue and been asking of some commands not executing or access denied is given.

Please, follow following steps:

1. extract the build to "C:\something"
2. Open your 'Start Menu' type "CMD"
3. Right click the appearing "CMD" > "Run as Administrator".
4. Now type on the black window command: cd /d "C:\something" (where cd /d "<where ever you extracted the build archive(s)>") and hit enter.
5. "genetix_cleanup" will start clean-up process "genetix_install" will start the install process.
1. Use regular uninstall methods (NVIDIA > ATI)

NOTE: Make sure 'device manager' says 'Standard VGA Display Adapter' on all ATI and NVIDIA cards, if not:
- remove driver & add check mark to 'Delete the Driver Software for this Device' -> 'scan for hardware changes'
or on NVIDIA cards
- 'scan for hardware changes' -> to find NVIDIA adapter before reboot (to avoid another reboot as otherwise it detects it after you've rebooted and
you have to reboot again)
(Do this so many times/long that it does says 'Standard VGA Display Adapter', if there's an WDDM 1.1 Microsoft driver continue to clean-up you cannot
remove it by device manager)
NOTE (PhysX): uninstall PhysX as ATI Catalyst also affects PhysX functionality / display setup also.

2. reboot as usual.

OPTIONAL (Chipset UPDATE, if needed):
People with INTEL Chipsets: Intel Chipset Software (proper update process) -> Official Website / Newest Drivers (NOTE: This website has popups, but drivers are always newer than at Intel because of Intel hides latest updates to specific chipsets)
People with AMD Chipsets: AMD South Bridge Driver
NOTE: AMD drivers and utilities are included with v5.00 build package. Detection if/when to use these might be incorrect as for now would still be recommended that you do your own updates.
(Increases Stability of whole system to have properly installed and up-to-date chipset drivers before driver installation)

DirectX:
AMD/ATI: You should install DirectX Full Installation BEFORE actual driver installation OR use the webinstaller with the clean-up cmd I created to make sure that Microsoft newest DirectX patches/improvements could work better/at all before driver is in the system.
AMD/ATI+NVIDIA: You wanna update DirectX also while full installation is done, after the 'fake' display for NVIDIA card is active as then DXDIAG will see correct GPU memory amount of all cards.

NOTE: Check that there is NO 'C:\AMD' OR 'C:\ATI' folders existing. (AMD/ATI Official Install folders as these installers tends to check it seems).

AMD/ATI - Install Instructions:

NOTE (Critical): Batch files most be executed as TRUE administrator (and not on any safe mode).
Instructions are given at above quote how to for OEM and bad situation systems at none administrative level users can do this. There are also
situations on Windows where operating system itself bugs (like on latest RC SP1).
NOTE (Bug) [v5.10 ONLY]: Please, install the packages from folder with no spaces (ex. c:\something) there's an registry passthrough error, if you already did run the install you can launch 'optimize\finalize_optimization.cmd' manually would solve the problem.
NOTE (Bug) : Verify/Understand that there is no updated hardware bug mentioned at release notes.

1. Run 'genetix_cleanup.cmd'
2. Run 'genetix_install_silent.cmd'
Alternatively: Run 'genetix_install.cmd' (this will display AMD Driver installation window. Just don't boot when asked by AMD driver installer.)
3. Reboot to finish the setup
NOTE (ATI+NVIDIA): If you have an hybrid setup proceed to NVIDIA setup instead of rebooting.

Click to show spoiler

----Download Links----

Official ATI/AMD Website newest drivers: ATI Driver Download Section

Experimental Build v5.15 - 12.6a baseline - [HD2xxx-6xxx Single Card Setups + NVIDIA Hybrid configs] - [12.06.2012]:

* Really little testing done at this build. (This is the current work build)

x86 / 32-bit - x64 / 64-bit:
Mirror 01 [ZippyShare] - Mirror 02 [MultiUpload] - Mirror 03 [MediaFire] - 157,48 MB (7-Zip/7z Archive)
MD5: 4971f0e77f2f7b6a457f7461665718df

----ATI+NVIDIA Hybrid Config NVIDIA Driver Links----

Currently under update until new cleanup system is online and verified...

Click to show spoiler

----Other Links / Tools----

Genetix Cleaner v5.01 - Stand-Alone ATI/NVIDIA clean-up system - [06.06.2012]:

* Included OpenCL new data.
* Included missed data storage folder.
* Verified new content against old one to be accurate.

x86 / 32-bit - x64 / 64-bit:
Mirror 01 [ZippyShare] - Mirror 02 [MediaFire] - Mirror 03 [Multiupload]
MD5: cfd8f33aa3b195de16b532e4212119db

Extra ToolBox v1.00 for troubleshooting and basic feature modifications & AMD style media playback with Intel CPU - [17.01.2011]:

* NOTE: package is just couple of files so extract them to something like 'toolbox\'-folder.
* Please, read the 'readme.txt' before using anything.
* Includes: OpenGL Switcher, AMD Fusion Media Explorer for Intel CPUs (+ SQL compact redist needed), AMD/ATI Application Profiles Patcher, Force Clean-up, default Standard Display Adapter registry, and so on...

x86 / 32-bit - x64 /-64-bit:
Mirror 01 [ZippyShare] - Mirror 02 [MultiUpload] - Mirror 03 [MediaFire] - 47.56 MB (RAR Archive)
MD5: f114e388cf2deea6e8c7a3771157f027

----Couple Final Words----

NOTE:
by using these you understand to read the install instructions, that the driver is for testing purposes only no matter how Final/Uber finished build anyone including myself says it is and you are the one who installs them as in you are responsible for your own equipment/hardware. You do understand to read what you are using like batch/cmd file and that these files can very easily harm your system, if they are build badly or purposely to do so.

Friendly advice trust no one on web check yourself, do not relay on someone else writings.

Last edited by TwL; 06-12-2012 at 12:57. Reason: Adding New v5.15 Experimental build starting to clean topic

Build list will be improved and added back as archive
Old
  (#2)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default Build list will be improved and added back as archive - 05-29-2010, 02:45 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Last v5.10 Modified Catalyst release notes:

Click to show spoiler

Troubleshooting Section:

Adobe Flash issues while plug.in installed by browser [Opera 10, Firefox v3.x/4.x]:
Problem: Flash does not act as hardware accelerated by ATI Catalyst 11.1-11.2 installation while flash is installed by the browser.
Solution: Install Flash from adobe site separately. This will make the hardware acceleration check mark to function correctly under usage of flash.

----Game Specific Fixing----

Common Gaming DVA Hardware Acceleration failure in all drivers:

* Tearing issue with other resolutions that 1920x1080 and 1920x720:

Found the cause on tearing issues when you play for example 1920x1200 or any other resolution not mentioned above. Problem is caused by ATI DVA modules and can be solved as follows:

1. Launch the game and change your resolution to 1920x720 or 1920x1080 in-game
2. exit the game
3. relaunch the game and start playing
4. now ESC > Options > change the resolution back to what ever resolution you were using.

When you load the code ATI driver will "think" correctly on DVA side (As the modules doesn't support anything else then XXXXx1080 and XXXXx720) and
activate hardware acceleration and switching resolution while playing the game will not affect the performance as DVA Hardware acceleration is already
enabled and it will not disable. Bad news is you have to do this every single time you load the game so I suggest you quit as 1920x1080 or 1920x720 resolution.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2:

Other BF:BC2 Releated for everyone. The BF:BC2 folder comes with these files backup the files and remove these files from BF:BC2 folder:
Code:
D3DCompiler_42.dll
D3DX9_42.dll
d3dx10_42.dll
d3dx11_42.dll
(This will make sure game uses YOUR system newer DirectX instead of old DirectX files which came with the game itself.)

Bioshock/Bioshock 2:
Help for people to run AA as well as other effects and general functionality topic: THIS POST

Old gaming/programs -Compatibility modes are not applied fix [x64 only?]:
1. Add compatibility options at application EXE file properties.
2a. Launch: "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\explorer.exe"
2b. Make an new shortcut:
Target: "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe" /c "drive:\your application path\game.exe"
Start In: "drive:\your application path\"
3. Launch the game(2a)/shortcut(2b).

Driver archives - [AMD/ATI - Sections]:

Mirror #1 [MediaFire]
Mirror #2 [Coming Soon]

Driver archives - [NVIDIA - Sections]:

Mirror #1 [MediaFire]
Mirror #2 [Coming Soon]

Benchmark hardware - [Before and up-to Catalyst 10.9a]:
ASUS-P5E [x38 Cheap Board]
Q9450 3,6Ghz
DDR2-900Mhz [4-4-4-12]
ASUS ATI HD5850 - 935Mhz/1220Mhz
BFG NVIDIA 9800GTX - 792Mhz/1152Mhz [highest possible OC Stable clocks]

Benchmark hardware - [After Catalyst 10.9]:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
I7-950 ~4,08Ghz [4-'REAL'cores - HT Disabled]
DDR3-1700Mhz [7-7-7-21]
ASUS ATI HD5850 - 935Mhz/1220Mhz
BFG NVIDIA 9800GTX - 792Mhz/1152Mhz [highest possible OC Stable clocks]

Settings:
- In each testing were exact same as low as catalyst settings go. With 'Prefer Application settings', if possible by settings.
- The benchmarks were taken 5 minutes after restart complete IDLE and redone 25 minutes after complete IDLE. Best result
there was remains as picture here.

This includes official to Builds here and will be updated regularly:

-Latest Updates:
* Official 10.12a 'Vantage Extreme'
* Final Build v5.00
- Click 'preview' to get better view from right corner. Seems to be nice way of viewing images.

ATI Benchmark Image Gallery Link

NVIDIA Hybrid setup Testing:
Full Scale Forceware/Geforce testing

Last edited by TwL; 06-12-2012 at 14:11. Reason: Archiving FTP to packages.

Old
  (#3)
MerolaC
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970 OC 3Gb
Processor: i5 3570k@H60
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866 8GB
Soundcard: C-SB-Titanium HD PCI-E
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty G.G. - 750w
Default 05-29-2010, 02:58 | posts: 2,226 | Location: Argentina

Will download em and give them a try.
Thank you!

Old
  (#4)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-29-2010, 03:54 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Added couple of screens and MD5 files for the 7-zip pack.

You can try with your <what ever> version of catalyst/Forceware to redo anything what's shown on screenshots (except the Eva Mendes) and it will fail on any other driver than what's included here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip read the edit
Also, just for the record of the NVIDIA driver side. Every single Forceware after '196.34 beta' is actually slower than '196.34 beta', but you will need an PhysX hack v1.02 for that from GenL (can be found pretty easily). So, consider that before using v257.15 (OR any other v197.xx) drivers. PhysX works flawless over 60FPS on same setup, if using '196.34 beta' + GenL patch v1.02 that is on screens while at new Forceware v257.xx as you can see on screenshot it drops BELOW 60FPS to 54FPS although it allows more on screen.

So, that's pretty much says "new is always better", hah. Crappy optimization attempts for GTX 4xx DX11 GPUs.
--edit--

Well, it would seem that v257.15 has a small bug in disabling & enabling adapter. I crashes but only 1 time(if disabling adapter on device manager), but there's an BONUS, heh. It would seem that Forceware 257.15 works with out anykind of display adapter attached to it & without 'extending display' (as we are used to have when we work with Radeon+Geforce combination).

Also there's new entry on windows Power saving options for SLI adapters and IGP which basically should disable the First GPU to save power however, in ATI+NVIDIA case sadly this option disables the ATI card as it's the first (Option doesn't exist, if no display in NVIDIA device which is probably also reason for the '1 crash time').

Basically when you install according to above instructions with no display (or fake) attached to NVIDIA card it'll still work.

Does absolute miracles to PhysX performance:

Last edited by TwL; 05-29-2010 at 08:59.

Old
  (#5)
Funky Doodle
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
Mainboard: GA-MA790X-UD3P AM2+
Memory: A-Data 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz
Soundcard: Creative SB Xtreme Gamer
PSU: Compucase CougarCM/R 700W
Default 05-29-2010, 10:41 | posts: 792

nice work mate!

Old
  (#6)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-29-2010, 11:58 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

yeah, if someone wants physX clean working without "hacking" on 257.15 > download this:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/NV-PhysX...1.0_d1984.html

Disabled > and enable > and physX starts working

Added that info now also on main post.

Found the bug in PhysX slow down now. It is not 'PhysX Hybrid Mod 1.03'(so works with out anykind of display attached) it is
'MSI Afterburner' and probably it's RTSS OSD service. Pretty easy to reproduce:
1. Afterburner Up Framerate drops to half on Fluidmark
2. Afterburner Closed Framerate goes back to 120FPS on Fluidmark

Tested versions 1.5.0 - 1.6.0 beta 6 all does the same, shame..

-----

Seems issue is on RTSS, if OSD is disabled FPS restores to normal.

Last edited by TwL; 05-29-2010 at 12:49.

Old
  (#7)
Shroomalistic

Videocard: HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
Processor: Phenom II x4 955c3
Mainboard: Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5
Memory: G.Skill Eco DDR3 1600 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1tyPro
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700W
Default 05-29-2010, 17:02 | posts: 31 | Location: At home

im getting all kinds of errors un-rar'ing it.

its saying unsupport compression method with both winrar and 7 zip

Last edited by Shroomalistic; 05-29-2010 at 17:07.

Old
  (#8)
JLT

Videocard: XFX 4770 512MB DDR5
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Mainboard: Intel DG33BU
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: onboard Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Corsair HX520W
Default 05-29-2010, 17:40 | posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomalistic View Post
im getting all kinds of errors un-rar'ing it.

its saying unsupport compression method with both winrar and 7 zip
I just downloaded it and unzipped with 7zip 9.13b from mediafire, no errors. Haven't installed yet.

Old
  (#9)
Shroomalistic

Default 05-29-2010, 17:52 | posts: 31 | Location: At home

thanks i was using an old version of 7zip

tried to install and the installer stops working and has to shut down

Last edited by Shroomalistic; 05-29-2010 at 17:55.

Old
  (#10)
Rik55
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
Processor: Intel C2D E6300@2.8GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P5Q
Memory: GEIL 2 x 2Gb DDR2 800
Soundcard:
PSU: ANTEC NEOPOWER 650W
Default 05-29-2010, 17:54 | posts: 176 | Location: Glasgow, UK

@TwL

Your issue with PhysX could be related to Fan speed reporting API in NVIDIA release 256 drivers which is currenlty working abnormally slow on some nVidia cards. Disable fan speed graph in either Precision or Afterburner if you're experiencing stuttering or lower than expected FPS.

Old
  (#11)
Shroomalistic

Default 05-29-2010, 18:51 | posts: 31 | Location: At home

well i got it to install and followed all the steps, still get the gpu not supported when i try to go to CCC.

Old
  (#12)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-29-2010, 23:14 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

@Rik55

yeah, I know of the issue, but basically I don't believe using fans at all.

Just kidding of course, but seriously one of the reasons I left 'Forceware' out of this mess. As I think it's better let people choose what versions with /without cracking physX they wanna use and as suggested '196.34 beta' is very good choise for physx 257.15 is no better when it comes to physics.

However, no it's not v257.15 specifically on my case > I tested 19x drivers also with different catalyst compinations > culprit was 'Rivatuner Statistic Server'/OSD.

(btw, while researching found out that 'fluidmark' only utilizes ~33% of card and only 60% of Radeon, but seems multithreaded 'FluidMark v1.2.0' does much better results.)

@Shroomalistic

now that's weird. as I read your video card. I am using exact same setup works flawless.

@commonly

just went nicely to below 200MB on 7-zip..
(Included 7-zip download link on post now)

as what goes to 'usefulness' of this package. I build it to function in almost any condition, but as said no one is forced to use them. Point is there is NO other drivers existing that supports hardware in this level.

The driver setup above supports clean (as what goes to .INF's) all ati cards. (with exception there is v10.3b issues on HD5970 as there were back then, but even those cards works better with this than on new as with new you cannot use cards computing capabilities by any means other than this driver as GPU #2 is locked by AMD/ATI since v10.4<any beta/version>). There's several posts in this issue on ATI forums as well on ATI stream forums with no resolutions.

The second ATI fixes 'aticaldd.dll' > 'aticfx32.dll' > driver under x64 system SysWOW64\ I will stop updating this topic & move to those drivers.

Last edited by TwL; 05-30-2010 at 00:31.

Old
  (#13)
g60force
Master Guru

Videocard: 5850 TwinFrozrII + 9600M
Processor: Q6600@3.2 + Core 2 Mobile
Mainboard: ShuttleXP35S2 + Acer8930G
Memory: CorsairTWIN2X6400C-4DHX
Soundcard: DTS/5.1 + Realtek 7.1
PSU: Corsair750w + XP35P2@400
Default 05-30-2010, 06:08 | posts: 586 | Location: Netherlands

I don't need it, unfortunately my old 8800GT doesn't fit next to my 5850 in the Shuttle

But thnx for all the hard work, more of you guys should be out there helping others

(PS. Now that I think of it.. would it be possible for a company to make an external PCI-E to USB-slot for PhysX cards?? )

Old
  (#14)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 07:45 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Yeah, well without second NVIDIA/ATI GPU this is no use.

As what goes to USB I don't think so. Latency to device would probably be first issue and even on USB3 bandwidth would still be issue. PhysX requires a lot of memory.

better question would probably be 'Could PhysX/physics chip(commonly would support all) be made size and suitable like usual DDRx memory stick?', but no worries as long there's stupid people buying 1/1000 of actual equipment potential like now we will never see true topnotch technology on any market.

---

but for the moment I would just be happy, if someone would mention the Catalyst maker that there is and has been bug since last 6 editions of catalyst details:
http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messa...hread=y#bottom

Should interest them to fix the damn computing capabilities at least for developers.

Last edited by TwL; 05-30-2010 at 08:00.

Old
  (#15)
pjokerxp
Master Guru

Videocard: Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Processor: Ivy I7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill 2x 8GB 2400MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair AX760i Platinum
Default 05-30-2010, 09:09 | posts: 607 | Location: Saudi Arabia

wow hope this work for all of you!

mafia 2 here we come ....

is it fine if i couple 5870crossfire with gtx250? do u think its enof for physx?

THX all gurus frnds!

Old
  (#16)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 09:22 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

@pjokerxp

Should be just fine and fix the 3 GPU OpenCL also while benchmarking etc.

If you are up to only gaming I still suggest dropping the 10.5 hotfix & 19x.xx(or 257.15) forceware to that, but x86 any GPU tools will fail with ATI Stream in that case. Performance might be better (although, development is near 0 level between 10.3>10.5).

but then again you can always install this and update driver only later giving at least decent baseline what really can be used/utilized with these GPUs.

Old
  (#17)
psychok9
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 280X DirectCU II TOP
Processor: Intel 3770k@4.4GHz
Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 6
Memory: 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Soundcard: X-Meridian 7.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 05-30-2010, 16:59 | posts: 274 | Location: Moon

Thanks.
I've tried your driver, but I'm still having the same problem with 10.5 official overdrive and higher 2D clocks. Is CCC 10.5 responsible? Isn't driver fault?

Old
  (#18)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 18:43 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

@psychok9

Funny thing is I haven't seen this issue and I cannot duplicate even while I have same HD5850, but ASUS. I did although read about issue and the higher clocks were meant to be temporal change to improve 2D(multiscreen more specifically) and also read that this is simply edit to 2D profiles to fix(So, no driver is not the one faulty it's CCC settings), but I do not 'modify' drivers simply combined versions. (and if I would of fix this with any of the v10.3 edition CCC Video section would of been broken, 10.4 the video section would of still be broken and missing encoding on both choices.)

As far of my own testing seems the issue has something to do with 'all the time overclocked card' as when on default clocks 2D mode works just fine, but if overclocked the higher clocks remains. As I am using 'MSI Afterburner' my card is 99% not clocked and OC'd only when needed, but those are just what I see as said I cannot reproduce.

Last edited by TwL; 05-30-2010 at 19:12.

Old
  (#19)
psychok9
Master Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 19:37 | posts: 274 | Location: Moon

You can reproduce it if you activate overdrive and overclock or downclock the cards (also +/- 5MHz).

My card crash if I overclock with third part tools (isn't reference), with a game in background and after I launch an video.
Overdrive seem manage better the idle > uvd > 3d state, and I love it for the this reason.
157/300 on idle state and full oc when I really need it (before damn 10.5 version).

With this i get "crazy" video colors sliders, and white stripes with dynamic contrast "on", I don't know other problems.

ATM i don't have 1 only driver that works without bugs at 100%, very bad. I hope with 10.6 will revert this change and will not have other bugs

What's encoding/decoding it's broken on 10.4?

Last edited by psychok9; 05-30-2010 at 19:41.

Old
  (#20)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 20:00 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

actually now that I look your setup I remove the below quote. I read you only got 1 GPU. This mod driver is meant for 2 GPUs or more not a single GPU issues. You should always use newest driver for single GPU setup from AMD or latest functional.

If you are interested on 2D clock correction. Search google for solutions (won't post other tweaking sites), but there's rather easy fix in 2D profiles for the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by removed quote
Ok, so maybe a stupid question, but why don't you then use Catalyst only from earlier versions and use the new 10.5 driver with them ? I mean even this pack here, only thing you would have to replace would be 'Apps\CCC' folder from earlier catalyst(preferable 10.4b?) and it would work with 10.3b to allow you also to do ATI Stream, if you are not interested on 'ATI Stream'/OpenCL then 10.5 driver with 10.4 CCC would be probably most ideal.

about video on older CCC:
Nothing wrong with encoding/decoding I said 'video section' is a bit different there. since 10.3->10.4 there's issue in CCC it does not change any of the registry Video values even while you change them in control panel 10.5 fixes this issue. It's a bit deeper than contrast I'm afraid also it's literally actually all enhancements through GPU as well.

reproduce:
As I said I cannot reproduce this. I tested what you asked clocks works as they should accordingly here on card BIOS. I tested 900Mhz clocks through overdrive. Also 3D (and REAL heady 2D). I cannot get the same effect out of card as some people for some reason. The reason this would happen would be CCC stresshold trigger to jump clocks.

There is *5 different clocks inside HD5850 BIOS if the CCC issues 2D profile based stresshold trigger to the card clock will change, but in my case I see no issues. Probably the volterra mod I got handles it better.

Last edited by TwL; 05-30-2010 at 20:17.

Old
  (#21)
psychok9
Master Guru

Default 05-30-2010, 21:02 | posts: 274 | Location: Moon

Thank you.
I have tried your mix because I've supposed to fix my 2d problem with 10.3 drivers
I don't found any fix on google, can you send me a pm?
No one modify found works like 10.4 profiles (memory still at very high clock).
Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by psychok9; 05-30-2010 at 21:09.

Old
  (#22)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-31-2010, 01:45 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychok9 View Post
Thank you.
I have tried your mix because I've supposed to fix my 2d problem with 10.3 drivers
I don't found any fix on google, can you send me a pm?
No one modify found works like 10.4 profiles (memory still at very high clock).
Thank you very much in advance.
Just check first page of ATI cards on techpowerup. Should find an answer, mainly there's people suggesting clean up installation before reinstallation > should do the trick. As this should be in any case before any driver install:

-basic uninstall all ati
-remove any ATI registers under:
HKCU\Software\ATI... & HKLM\Software\ATI.. HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ATI.
-kill in task manager 'AMD External Event'-service & remove the service with 'Autoruns'.
-remove on 'drivers' > atikmdag.sys, atikmpag.sys, atipmdag.sys in autoruns
-remove files "%windir%\system\ati*.*", "%windir%\sysWOW64\ati*.*", "%windir%\system\drivers\ati*.*"
-remove "%appdata%\ATI" folder.
-reboot if you get BSOD you know you screwed up to follow steps. Do them again.
-regedit > "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video" > CTRL-F > search for 'amdkmdap' > should find {something}/video/ 'services=amdkmdap'-string > delete the { } key where it's in.
-reinstall drivers.

Now that all reading above should be done by ATI/AMD but they screw it up all in every single driver. Why it should be done? because ATI screws up overwriting files also.

Last edited by TwL; 05-31-2010 at 02:17.

Old
  (#23)
psychok9
Master Guru

Default 05-31-2010, 02:20 | posts: 274 | Location: Moon

Thank you for your post! This is a perfect manual for deleting all tracks (I've saved it now).
I've used always Driver Sweeper & Driver Cleaner, but isn't the problem.
When Overdrive (and a little OC or Under-OC) it's enabled on 10.5 Catalyst, look different p-state on bios tables (for fix multi-display problems) and I've found it some hours ago a temporary solution.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=418

Thanks anyway!

Old
  (#24)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-31-2010, 02:39 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

well, driver sweeper ain't perfect for example it will not clean 'video' section and if that exists after drivers has been removed = no new section is made = Windows still has the old section configurations = not clean.
as for your 'BIOS'-mod sure I believe that "BIOS"-modding is answer for 'experienced'-users, however, it's not answer for clean end users. beside that clock is there for purpose as I see in your screenshot.

but anyway, this 'ATI Catalyst'-topic I created is clean for people with more than 1 GPU. As main purpose is to allow entire set of equipment use abilities like 'DirectCompute'/'OpenCL'/'all functional settings in general' and include, if wanted basic advanced user settings to improve quality.

Last edited by TwL; 05-31-2010 at 02:41.

Old
  (#25)
TwL
Maha Guru

Default 05-31-2010, 10:50 | posts: 1,828 | Location: Finland

Hmm, well since I did see someone posted something about crash in 'install'. I tryied to reproduce issue. Installed the drivers twice in badly patched windows 7 and Vista clean.

there was no issue on install and everything works just as it should, if there's a crash it's user fault. Either way gonna update the installer on when anything new actually arrives.