Arma 2 Vs Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising, which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Deleted member 216176, Apr 26, 2010.

1. As the name suggests, which would you buy and why?

Reason why I ask is i did some research on Dragon Rising and went to EB games with the intention of buying this game due to the realism and tactics involved with this kind of simulator but they didn't have it in stock. So i went out on a limb and grabbed Arma 2 which is supposedly similar. I know nothing of this game but it looks pretty cool. Id say the graphics are better than dragon rising too.

What do you reckon? do you own one or both of these games and how do they compare? Is arma 2's AI superior?

Thanks in advance.

2. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    yes they are both codemaster games. operation flashpoint suffered many delays during production. i do own both and if i had to pick only one i would also pick arma 2. the ai in arma 2 does seem to be superior if you are looking for a simulator type.
    the original operation flashpoint imo is the best simulator ever, so i was very dissapointed when part 2 finally came out and you couldnt even switch to 3rd person. when i went through tech school for artillery the simulator we used was flashpoint mission editor (although i never made them confirm it since they probably wouldnt have know either way) dragon risin is still pretty fun and the graphics are great. just not as great if u were a fan of the original. so ok if ur looking for a slight emulator type with fps dragon rising. if u want more simulator type go arma 2

3. What about in terms of difficulty? which game is considered harder? and graphics wise which is best.

4. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    In my opinion Arma2 for both. Arma2 is definitely harder though, graphically I suppose one could favor either.

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Dragon Rising is Awfull.

6. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    graphically the are pretty similar, but i would still say arma 2 is better because it seems more detailed, especially on the uniforms. i actually compare arma 2 to the original flashpoint, but not dragon rising. so i think you will be happy to know u made the better decision. i played flashpoint for like 8 years and it was always fun, the modding section was enormous, so hopefully arma 2 will be there someday. man now im going to reinstall arma 2, maybe even original flashpoint : )

7. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Infantry aspect in ArmA is a lot inferior if you compare it to Dragon Rising. That's mainly because the world in ArmA is so huge that there aren't enough ditches in the terrain so that you could take cover there. Same goes for forests, large and undetailed which in turn means no cover for you.

Of course I'm just comparing it to the time I spent in the finnish army (one year), our forests had all sorts of ditches, rocks etc behind which you could take cover :p

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Say what now? :3eyes:

9. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Only OpF: DR is published by Codemasters btw.

Personally i found the DragonRising gameplay was quite good, but it's focussed on infantry, sometimes you get into ground vehicles.

ArmA2 offers all vehicles. Best thing about A2 is the editor and the open game structure so it's completely moddable. A massive community is behind all this and can help whereever possible. Only thing is that A2 needs a powerful machine to run smoothly. Best results can be archieved by using Ramdisks and SSDs. Also, CM has given up support of OpF: DR already whereas Bohemia will constantly offer patches until the next title is released (some years i guess).

Word on AI: Bohemia started with OperationFlashpoint back then which was basically an open landscape with big vehicle battles simulator. AI group issues like formation, crouching and flanking was more important than inhouse fighting, therefore the AI code back then almost ignored buildings and other structures. The AI was then ported into ArmA1, with slightly updated building navigating code. AI was finally able to hide in buildings and shoot through windows, but nothing more.
    Today the AI in ArmA2 still suffers from the lack of realtime close combat code other games have (HL2, Swat4, CoD, BadCompany2 etc), but it's getting better patch by patch.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i like OFP, but i prefer Arma 2.

11. John8Ball

John8Ball Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD5850 Voltmod
    I Prefer Operation Flash Point for the following reasons.
    - Screen doesn't jump around when you sprint so you can at least see things. Its just more playable and doesn't make you boat sick.
    - Game 3D Engine seems to run better with alot less bugs.

I do agree that Arma 2 is more authentic simulation but when it boils down to it the main camera component is bad. Also i like first person view and don't want to have to switch to 3rd person just so i can run.

I suggest buy Bad Company 2 its very nice game.
    Only buy Operation Flash Point if you know alot of people that play it and make use of the Game Editor which is quite fun. I just play with me and my Bro on custom game against a masses of enemy. But the game editor does make the AI look pretty bad though as you have to program everything about their attitude and objectives.

The online multiplayer of OFP match making is really annoying just to get started in a game you can be wait 5 to 10 minutes and the game may only last 3 to 4 minutes for the objective to fall.

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    That also applies to ArmA. There isn't any great universal AI that magically knows what to do, it's all about programming them.

13. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I own Operation Flashpoint cold war crisis and Dragon rising I think both are good but imo opfp cwc is far better then dragon rising imo.Dragon rising is good but it very hard and lacks cover and AI that actually fights back and does a good job giving you a hand with combat and objectives.I still play both once in a while when I want to change my pace for games.

14. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    op flash runs better, but arma2 is way better. i only completed the missions on OFDR because i'd bought the game and couldnt let just sit there uncompleted, and the multiplayer is just terrible. ive only stop playing arma2 because i bought bfbc2. bvut once im board of that i'll be back on arma2.

plus the mods you can get for arma2 is endless, check out armaholics.com.

15. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    i'll second that, lol

16. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    ah ok i didn't realize arma was just bohemia this time and not codemasters. although as mentioned bohemia is great and suopprt their games for a long time. i said they are similar graphically because they both have great graphics, sure they're not the same engine or anything but they both look great and depending on taste you could pick either or. i wouldn't say the ai is inferior to dragon rising in anyway. the ai in dragon rising is just awful. and the lack of cover ect is rather odd to mention. if you've played either of these games you would realize they're not perfect and the play how they should because of the type of engine they use and the type of game play they offer. in dragon rising you can have a guy 3 feet in front of u laying in the grass and you cant hit him sometimes unless he stands up. the gamneplay of these games are very different from each other, you cant compare a fps type (dragon rising) to a sim type (arma). as much as everyone would like to since the original flashpoint was more like arma than dragon rising, its just not the case anymore.

17. Well I installed Arma2 last night, man what a cool game but its very taxing on performance! my crossfired 5850's struggle with this game and CPU at 3.6Ghz. I've updated to 1.4 patch. Im still working out controls etc n getting used to it but I really like it , just wish I could get it to run smoother without drastically reducing IQ.

18. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I'd chose Arma2 because Codemasters ripped off Bohemia's name in bad faith...well, you asked.

annnnnnnd because once you learn to use the mission editor you may not need a new game for years!

19. yeah im really enjoying arma2, what settings do you play at for decent frames?

20. im playing at 1680x1050 with everything max getting frames on average in the 30-40's but at times it becomes a slideshow.

even lowering most of the setting to high/medium i'm still getting pretty massive slow downs (25-30fps) but in general above 60FPS.

Is this game cpu intensive morethan gpu intensive? can i force dx9/10/11 at all? Are there any mods available that might improve performance?

does the 1.5 patch add anything usefull over the 1.4 patch?...