Do the new nvidia gpus 480 and 460 do tessellation better?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Mar 30, 2010.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I saw a bench mark but i forgot the link where they ran unigine at extreme and this is where the nvi performed better than ati.

Is this really the case in all benches and also will this be a big factor in future games?

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Only benchies that use lots of tessellation, and there are a couple of games out this year that will be using the Unigine, but if want to bench non DX11 titles, then your 5970 is a fair bit better.

* DirectX 11
    * Resolutions 1280x1024 - 2560x1600
    * 4x Anti Aliasing
    * 16X Anisotrpic Filtering
    * Extreme Tesselation Preset
    * High Shaders

[​IMG]

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Are those results from the unigine ver 2 bench?

4. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Here's a pic of me benching with extreme tess, 8xAA, 16 AF and 1920 x 1200 res.

My cpu probably prevented the score of being higher.

[​IMG]

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, extreme was only added in V2.0.

That actually looks like a good score compared to other some other 5970's i've saw, i've saw some get dips down to 5fps when using 8xAA.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

not really i saw someone with similar gpu to mine and lower freq. dualcore cpu and he scored about the same.. i got a bit higher lowest/max fps, avg stayed the same ~3fps diff. lol

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It should be a big factor in the future. But, you should keep your HD5970 until it doesn't cut it anymore. Between now and the point where superb tesselation performance will be a must, you can play very well with your current rig. By then, you should see lower prices for fermi based cards or maybe a new option by ATi (ex, maybe Northen Islands will have good tesselation performance, i dunno).

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    No games any time soon will be using extreme amounts of tessellation, it simply will not happen until the next generation consoles come out. So it will just a bit here and there like silly flags in Dirt2.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    There is more to DX11 than Tessellation but mostly DX11 will be a waste same as DX10 was. The dev studios are console centric now and until next gen consoles using DX11 or whatever the uptake will be tiny. The fact is no AAA titles will be using Tessellation in great amounts to be of any concern but as added gimmicks for PC versions if even that. By the time Tessellation is mainstream GTX480's/ATI 5000's will be long replaced.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You would work well pushing people towards console gaming lol.

If i believed that, i would forget a new card and just get a quad and SLI another GTX260, but i'm a bit more positive, and things might pick up now that both vendors have a card out.

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Thanks man and to think i'm just using a c2d. :banana:

The thing is your c2q is at a rather low speed 3600, therefore it's comparable to a high OC c2d. The c2d system u matched up against has a much higher oc correct?

You should oc ur cpu over 4ghz before you say cpu speed doesn't make a diff in this bench.

13. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
  14. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I did a Unigene bench and got pretty much same result as you on a Quad so the bench is not CPU limited but GPU bound.

15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Your quad core CPU is OCEd to 4ghz.

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Yeah and? My score on 4.22 Quad was the same is his 4.14 Duo So there is no difference between Quad and Duo at slightly different clocks. I bet if I clock my Quad down to 3 it will still be the same. The game is GPU limited, no CPU bottleneck here.

17. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    If this is the case then perhaps this bench here should replace vantage as the absolute determinant for one's gpu performance regardless of what cpu he uses.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    nope he had at at only 3ghz vs mine at 3.6.. and mine is fast enough i get 51gflops in ibt, vs similar 4ghz quadcore with 54gflops..

this benchmark is all gpu, for anything else, like current games that like quads, it would bottleneck 5970 for sure.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    In the Heaven benchmark on Extreme Tessellation the ATI HD5000 cards take a bigger performance hit than the new NVIDIA GTX 400 cards compared with tessellation off; 39% vs. 60% I think from memory (the results were on Tom's Hardware website). At Normal Tessellation the ATI cards lose less but it's still an 80% to 66% win for the new NVIDIA cards.

This difference in tessellation performance doesn't seem to have the same impact on DX11 games that use this feature though but that's likely because they're not using it to the same extent as the Heaven 2.0 benchmark. I suspect that the new NVIDIA cards will have more room to breath when tessellation heavy DX11 games come out in the future.

20. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    In regards to the benchmark :

Sadly, both ati and nvidia framerates are unplayable.

-scheherazade