Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

OCZ Agility EX SSD 60GB review [Guru3D]
Old
  (#1)
Guru3D News
Ancient Guru

Videocard:
Processor: HAL 9000
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default OCZ Agility EX SSD 60GB review [Guru3D] - 10-30-2009, 10:00 | posts: 6,462

Today we test the OCZ Agility EX SSD. If 100% reliability is your thing then this is the cheapest SLC based SSD with an Indilinx controller that you can think of.

Then OCZ Agility EX offers top notch...

More...

Old
  (#2)
J STEEL
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
Processor: Core i7 4790K STOCK
Mainboard: GA-Z97X-GAMING G1
Memory: 16GB G-SKILL 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: SOUND BLASTER Z
PSU: Corsair AX850W
Default 10-30-2009, 15:41 | posts: 394 | Location: Washington State

I think this would be my next upgrade to my rig. Having one of these for your OS would be sweet! I think I will skip upgrading for now to Core i7 to get one of these because it would be a shame to upgrade to so much power and have a slow HDD holding it back.

Old
  (#3)
Cybermancer
Don Quixote

Videocard: BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
Processor: Intel E8400 @ 3.6 GHz
Mainboard: XFX 680i LT
Memory: 6 GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400
Soundcard: X-Fi
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W
Default 10-30-2009, 23:00 | posts: 13,828 | Location: Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by J STEEL View Post
I think this would be my next upgrade to my rig. Having one of these for your OS would be sweet! I think I will skip upgrading for now to Core i7 to get one of these because it would be a shame to upgrade to so much power and have a slow HDD holding it back.
I know I'm starting to repeat myself here, but imo that would be a smart move. I absolutely love my SSD and am still more than happy that I bought one a while ago. I can only recommend it to everyone to get one (at least) for the OS.

Old
  (#4)
Norvekh
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7970
Processor: Core i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair 750
Default 10-31-2009, 04:28 | posts: 2,665 | Location: Ohio

It certainly is increasingly tempting to take the leap towards a SSD. But, with high density traditional drives operating at 7200 RPM, and with capacities of 2TB, knocking at the doors of 10K drives (aside from the access times of course) it's kind of a conundrum for me. I can go now and purchase a 2TB WD Black for $300 or a 64GB SLC SSD for more, or a 128GB MLC SSD of good design for roughly $300. Quite the quandary seeing as how I can always use more storage.

Old
  (#5)
Matt26LFC
Maha Guru

Videocard: 7970Ghz CF Qnix2710 96Hz
Processor: i5 3570K/Raystorm/120.5
Mainboard: Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB 1866Mhz Platinums
Soundcard: ALC889 / HD449s
PSU: HX1050
Default 10-31-2009, 19:37 | posts: 2,510 | Location: UK

Well I've taken the leap and bought myself an 128GB SSD. Its cost around £250 but i had the cash (Lots of Overtime at Work) and i can't wait. I take receipt next thursday along with a copy of Windows 7

Next i wanna watercool my CPU, was waiting for i9 but it seems its gonna cost more than a small bomb so i'll see if i can swap my 9550 to a 9650 for a small fee and OC the **** out of it under water

Old
  (#6)
nutyo
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence ST
PSU: CM Real Power Pro 850W
Default 11-01-2009, 04:35 | posts: 4,601 | Location: Brisbane, Australia

Well done OCZ! This is exactly what I am looking for. Decent capacity SLC SSD for less than the cost of my soul. This is soooo very very tempting.

Old
  (#7)
J STEEL
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
Processor: Core i7 4790K STOCK
Mainboard: GA-Z97X-GAMING G1
Memory: 16GB G-SKILL 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: SOUND BLASTER Z
PSU: Corsair AX850W
Default 11-01-2009, 11:36 | posts: 394 | Location: Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermancer View Post
I know I'm starting to repeat myself here, but imo that would be a smart move. I absolutely love my SSD and am still more than happy that I bought one a while ago. I can only recommend it to everyone to get one (at least) for the OS.
Yes, I see this as an upgrade that would be sweeter than anyting else I can do. Of course you can upgrade processors and stuff, but this by far is the best way to speed up your computer significantly to me. This is a lone bottleneck in itself. I envy you Cybermancer!

Of couse some will say that you can get 1 to 2TB drives for the price, but I am not buying this for storage, I am buying this for pure speed and the ability to do things just faster.

Old
  (#8)
Bentez
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 SLI | U2711
Processor: i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz | H100
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Default 11-01-2009, 12:30 | posts: 1,196 | Location: Southampton, UK

I have been waiting for affordable SLC drives since I first read about SSD. For me though this is still just one stage off, I think 60GB is too small and would want double that for my OS and apps. Once someone either halfs the price or doubles the size then I'm all over this like stink on swine!

Old
  (#9)
Cybermancer
Don Quixote

Default 11-01-2009, 14:39 | posts: 13,828 | Location: Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentez2003 View Post
I think 60GB is too small and would want double that for my OS and apps.
How many apps are you using, Bentez2003?

Windows 7, including Office 2003, 3DMark06, 3DMark Vantage, Firefox, Safari, Opera, PSP 8, CDBurnerXP, Acronis True Image, CCleaner, AntiVir, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall, ObjecktDock Plus, Skype, QuickTime, DivX, MSI Afterburner, eReader software, etc., etc. occupies only 12.7 GB. (The pagefile was moved to a different HDD and hibernation disabled, though.)

Imo, that leaves more than enough space (47 GB) for even a few games on the SDD.

Old
  (#10)
Bentez
Maha Guru

Default 11-01-2009, 14:58 | posts: 1,196 | Location: Southampton, UK

Haha I guess im just being greedy Cybermancer. I plan on buy another WD Caviar Black TB for game installs. (currently they reside on my Raptor) I reckon I'll look at an SSD once I get round to buying Win7. This drive will be on my list of do want.

Old
  (#11)
Cybermancer
Don Quixote

Default 11-01-2009, 15:04 | posts: 13,828 | Location: Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentez2003 View Post
I reckon I'll look at an SSD once I get round to buying Win7. This drive will be on my list of do want.
It would definitely complement your current rig in your profile very nicely.

Old
  (#12)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD7970 GHz TOP
Processor: Intel i5 750 @ 4.0 /1.38v
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D
Memory: GoodRAM 8GB , 1600 MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Gamer|Siberia V2
PSU: Be Quiet! E9 680W
Default 11-01-2009, 15:08 | posts: 3,642 | Location: Poland

When i will be able to buy decent 128GB SSD For 200$ ?

Old
  (#13)
DF-1
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA gtx 580
Processor: i7 2600k
Mainboard: ga-z68x-ud3p-b3
Memory: G.skill1600mhz 8-8-8-20LP
Soundcard: xonar dg+ ath-ad700
PSU: TX950W crosair
Default 11-01-2009, 15:58 | posts: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by J STEEL View Post
would be a shame to upgrade to so much power and have a slow HDD holding it back.
I went from a 3 year old dell laptop (configed for gaming) to this beast.

When i first booted it up and started doing all kinds of things i was really disappointed, it was just as fast as my laptop because of my hard drive .

of course games ran 700x better, but the whole PC still seemed as slow

Old
  (#14)
Bentez
Maha Guru

Default 11-01-2009, 19:57 | posts: 1,196 | Location: Southampton, UK

Actually the more i look at this bit of kit the more interested I get. are there any other SLC products you guys can think of that you would buy over this?

Old
  (#15)
Nato.dbnz
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 5870 Crossfire
Processor: 2500k 4.5GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
Memory: 8Gb Dominator 1600
Soundcard: Xonar STX + HD598
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1000W
Default 11-01-2009, 21:00 | posts: 3,263 | Location: Auckland NZ

Quote:
How many apps are you using, Bentez2003?

Windows 7, including Office 2003, 3DMark06, 3DMark Vantage, Firefox, Safari, Opera, PSP 8, CDBurnerXP, Acronis True Image, CCleaner, AntiVir, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall, ObjecktDock Plus, Skype, QuickTime, DivX, MSI Afterburner, eReader software, etc., etc. occupies only 12.7 GB. (The pagefile was moved to a different HDD and hibernation disabled, though.)

Imo, that leaves more than enough space (47 GB) for even a few games on the SDD.
How about the winsxs folder? Does Windows 7 still use this the same as in Vista because after a year or so my Vista winsxs folder is 15Gb all by itself! If I was to move to a low capacity ssd I'd need to know whether this could be kept under control.

Old
  (#16)
Cybermancer
Don Quixote

Default 11-02-2009, 04:51 | posts: 13,828 | Location: Cyberspace

I actually just recently found out about this folder by reading one post in the OS section of Guru3D.

I can't find it anymore but it essentially said the same as this:
Quote:
The Windows SxS directory represents the “installation and servicing state” of all system components. But in reality it doesn’t actually consume as much disk space as it appears…

In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory.

The WinSxS directory also enables offline servicing, and makes Windows Vista “safe for imaging”.

While it’s true that WinSxS does consume some disk space by simply existing, and there are a number of metadata files, folders, manifests, and catalogs in it, it’s significantly smaller than reported. The actual amount of storage consumed varies, but on a typical system it is about 400MB.
source: http://aspoc.net/archives/2008/11/20...and-windows-7/

Quote:
As it turns out, both Windows Vista and Windows 7 use the WinSxS folder to point to files that are actually found elsewhere in Windows; in other words, the amount of space that the WinSxS properties sheet says is in use isn't accurate. (...)
Microsoft is working very hard to make sure that the disk space you paid for is used as efficiently as possible in Windows 7, especially on systems that have limited disk space.
source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new..._windows_vista

All in all, after having used the RC of Windows 7 since it came out (in April, iirc) until a week ago and having had a lot more stuff installed on it just to test it in the new OS I never used more than 15.x GB. So, while that's about 2 - 3 GB more than my current installation, it never really started to get anywhere close to the limits of my 60 GB SSD.

I hope I was able to help you a bit with this post, Nato.dbnz.

Old
  (#17)
nutyo
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence ST
PSU: CM Real Power Pro 850W
Default 11-02-2009, 09:45 | posts: 4,601 | Location: Brisbane, Australia

Dammit! Australia got screwed over again! This thing is selling for $750AU. What a rip off! I am so sick of this crap.

Old
  (#18)
Nato.dbnz
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 5870 Crossfire
Processor: 2500k 4.5GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
Memory: 8Gb Dominator 1600
Soundcard: Xonar STX + HD598
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1000W
Default 11-02-2009, 19:49 | posts: 3,263 | Location: Auckland NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutyo View Post
Dammit! Australia got screwed over again! This thing is selling for $750AU. What a rip off! I am so sick of this crap.
Yeah solid state drive prices in NZ are rediculous.

Old
  (#19)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 11-02-2009, 20:00 | posts: 7,243 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
I actually just recently found out about this folder by reading one post in the OS section of Guru3D.

I can't find it anymore but it essentially said the same as this:

source: http://aspoc.net/archives/2008/11/20...and-windows-7/

source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new..._windows_vista

All in all, after having used the RC of Windows 7 since it came out (in April, iirc) until a week ago and having had a lot more stuff installed on it just to test it in the new OS I never used more than 15.x GB. So, while that's about 2 - 3 GB more than my current installation, it never really started to get anywhere close to the limits of my 60 GB SSD.

I hope I was able to help you a bit with this post, Nato.dbnz.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=148

Quote:
WinSxS directory

We definitely get a lot of questions about the new (to Vista) Windows SxS directory (%System Root%\winsxs) and many folks believe this is a big consumer of disk space as just bringing up the properties on a newly installed system shows over 3000 files and over 3.5 GB of disk consumed. Over time this directory grows to even higher numbers. Yikes--below is an example from a Steven's home PC.

Example properties sheet for WinSxS directory.

“Modularizing” the operating system was an engineering goal in Windows Vista. This was to solve a number of issues in legacy Windows related to installation, servicing and reliability. The Windows SxS directory represents the “installation and servicing state” of all system components. But in reality it doesn’t actually consume as much disk space as it appears when using the built-in tools (DIR and Explorer) to measure disk space used. The fact that we make it tricky for you to know how much space is actually consumed in a directory is definitely a fair point!

In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory. For instance in the WinSxS there might be a file called advapi32.dll that takes up >700K however what’s being reported is a hard link to the actual file that lives in the Windows\System32, and it will be counted twice (or more) when simply looking at the individual directories from Windows Explorer.

The value of this is that the servicing platform (the tools that deliver patches and service packs) in Windows can query the WinSxS directory to determine a number of key details about the state of the system, like what’s installed, or available to be installed (optional components, more on those later), what versions, and what updates are on the system to help determine applicability of Windows patches to your specific system. This functionality gives us increased servicing reliability and performance, and supports future engineering efforts providing additional system layering and great configurability.

The WinSxS directory also enables offline servicing, and makes Windows Vista “safe for imaging”. Prior to Windows Vista, inbox deployment support was through “Setup” only. IT professionals would install a single system, and then leverage any number of 3rd party tools to capture the installed state as a general image they then deployed to multiple systems. Windows wasn’t built to be “image aware”. This meant that greater than 80% of systems were deployed and serviced using a technology that wasn’t supported natively, and required IT departments to create custom solutions to deploy and manage Windows effectively. In addition, state stored in the WinSxS directory can be queried “offline”, meaning the image doesn’t have to be booted or running, and patches can be applied to it. These two features of WinSxS give great flexibility and cost reductions to IT departments who deploy Windows Vista, making it easier to create and then service standard corporate images offline.

While it’s true that WinSxS does consume some disk space by simply existing, and there are a number of metadata files, folders, manifests, and catalogs in it, it’s significantly smaller than reported. The actual amount of storage consumed varies, but on a typical system it is about 400MB. While that is not small, we think the robustness provided for servicing is a reasonable tradeoff.

So why does the shell report hard links the way it does? Hard links work to optimize disk footprint for duplicate files all over the system. Application developers can use this functionality to optimize the disk consumption of their applications as well. It’s critical that any path expected by an application appear as a physical file in the file system to support the appropriate loading of the actual file. In this case, the shell is just another application reporting on the files it sees. As a result of this confusion and a desire to reduce disk footprint, many folks have endeavored to just delete this directory to save space.

There have been several blogs and even some “underground” tools that tell you it’s ok to delete the WinSxS directory, and it’s certainly true that after installation, you can remove it from the system and it will appear that the system boots and runs fine. But as described above, this is a very bad practice, as you’re removing the ability to reliably service, all operating system components and the ability to update or configure optional components on your system. Windows Vista only supports the WinSxS directory on the physical drive in its originally installed location. The risks far outweigh the gains removing it or relocating it from the system, given the data described above.
Was taken from http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...isk-space.aspx

I don't know why I didn't quote the source in the original post.

Old
  (#20)
Cybermancer
Don Quixote

Default 11-02-2009, 20:37 | posts: 13,828 | Location: Cyberspace

Yup. I guess, it was your post, Denial.