OCZ Vertex TURBO SSD review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

As if their top of the line high-end SSD storage units are not fast enough OCZ decided to upgrade their fastest Vertex series SSD disks .. with an even faster model. What OCZ did with the Vertex TURBO...

More...

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    MTBF is total BS. SSD can last 20 years if it just sits there and occasionally reads something from it. Or it can last 1 year if you read/write 100 GB/day.
    MTBF does however apply to standard HDD's since the plates spin whether you use it or not (except when it goes in power save mode).
    Also i would also like to pint out one thing thats not really covered in review.
    If drive is close to full (lets say 75% full) and you write and read lots of stuff, that 25% of drive will be constantly grinded, meaning not even drive wear control will be able to prevent that. It only has 25% of the drive free to spread the writes. And those 25% will wear faster. But if the drive is only 25% full, it means the controler can spread data across 75% of the cells. Much larger area. Cells that are already occupied cannot be used in drive wear leveling as far as my knowledge of SSD tech goes. So thats also an important fact imo.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    the corsair p128 got 100+ Year Life Expectancy (MTBF) , wonder how they calculated that ?

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Great review. It seems to be a good option for the performance freaks, but not so good for people who just want SSD.

MTBF is really BS, but it's difficult to tell what percent of drives will survive 5 years for example. There are a few things that might help:
    - Use Vista suggestions from the review or get Windows 7
    - Move web browser cashe (IE) or whole profile (Firefox) to HDD or synchronized ramdisk.
    - Avoid installing things that perform tons of writes, just for fun. If you have such games for example, install them on HDD, move important files to SSD and create junctions.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Its actually more like 4-6 years.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    source please ? i wonder how they did test it :D

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  8. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, system logging is also a major problem imo. Event Viewer is constantly logging all sorts of crap and that will constantly wear HDD. Same for pagefile. And TEMP folder.
    I've tried disabling logging on Aspire One (with normal HDD, not SSD) and the whole OS started to have problems just because logging service was disabled. Wtf.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Don't know how you could bench mark something like that though.

11. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Every time a new drive like these comes in, I wonder why there is no SATA3 mobo yet, the technology is ready. I assume it's all about making money, they want to sell as much "outdated" hardware as possible, and throwing in SATA3-boards now would not help that purpose.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent review Hilbert , 5 stars review right there m8 :thumbup: , things are getting really fast and the only way to bypass the bothleneck of Sata right now its a dedicated Raid card :).

chispy.

13. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I definitely liked the review as well, but if possible, I'd like to get a bit more information about this point:
    What exactly does Windows 7 already disable or change compared to regular HDDs and/or Vista?

I compiled this list of things I do in both Vista and Windows 7 to prolong the life of my SSD:

* Drive indexing: disabled
    * Search Indexing: disabled
    * Prefetch: disabled
    * Superfetch: disabled
    * Defrag: disabled
    * Boot Defragmentation: disabled
    * System Restore: disabled
    * Hibernation: disabled
    * Temp Folders: moved to regular HDD
    * Pagefile: moved to regular HDD
    * Firefox3: moved browser cache to regular HDD

Which of those items are already done for me in Windows 7? Any information in that regard would be extremely helpful - not only for me, I believe.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

* Drive indexing: disabled
    * Search Indexing: disabled
    * System Restore: disabled
    * Hibernation: disabled
    * Temp Folders: moved to regular HDD
    * Pagefile: moved to regular HDD
    * Firefox3: moved browser cache to regular HDD

Everything else is taken care of.

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Awesome. Thanks, Denial. :)

16. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    Not really getting much over the Vertex EX. I will use these SSDs in my next build. It will also be a Raid set-up. Once you hit Raid status with these drives you now enter the realm of overkill and your system bottle necks at the SATA2 capacity, or close to it.
    You good fokes at Guru3d here have done several SSD reviews now. How about one of the latest SSDs in a few Raid configurations. I mean how much more work/time can it take? Not much for me really and im sure you are all more capable than I.
    Anyway I think you would have lots of interested eyes if you did a Raid config in these tests.

17. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    i am getting a SuperTalent drive right now.

I think its nonsense to spend *A LOT* on SSDs since this tech is racing so fast that next year, whatever you buy, you can sell for $0.02 on ebay.

18. Dahbob

Dahbob Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4870X2
    I don't think Guru3D gets more than 1 drive for each review, that makes a problem + you need to test raid with different controllers etc.

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Please, Hilbert, find a new generation Intel drive to test.

I beg of you.

20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I want one, simple as that!:D