8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    No argument from me, but are you trying to tell me that overclocking your computer on the hardware level (see my cpu) is the only way to increase performance?

If there are otherways ie software tweaks, then i am sure that we will use /try them.

And lastly not everyone can aford to buy the latest hardware(like you or me) so tweaks are great for some.

Maybe when you use your bios to up your cpu or mem speed, it can be classed as a software tweak anyway, because you are not actually physically changing your'e hardware are you?

2. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    The point in buying new hardware as soon as the software runs sluggish cant stand its ground (at least with home pc's). Everyone normal wants more out his/her limited budget at home. Tweaking your hardware goes hand in hand with tweaking your os. I personaly cant live with vistas indexing. It's annoying and slows down slower machines. I mean, that function is useless to me because I know exactly where my stuff is and I barely ever use the search function. So, ppl here say basicaly, well if that bothers you, you should just buy a new ssd with internal raid and stick it into your pcie 8x slot... well thats just nonsence. I've never been satisfied with os'es as they are. The functions in them are soo damn generic, I need to tweak them to get any work done.

Why the hell are there ppl building their own linux from scratch? Because it will give them the ultimate performance with their own hardware. (and I'm not talking bout gaming here).

Every os can become sluggish with time, so instead of maintainig it ppl should buy new hardware because of it? I doubt thats the right way to do stuff.

Besides, trial and error is how you learn stuff. Its how I learned a lot of stuff back then when there were no schools to teach you. And I still do, with my own machines. I just recently went into the world of open source, and its an awesome experience trying out different distros and theire respective flavours. Getting stuff to work on them, and when you suceed, its a good feeling of achievment.

Like I said before, most bueseness ppl just need to be on the safe side, others need to find out new stuff by taking things apart and building them back togheter, finding ways of making them better along the way...

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Totaly wrong. i cant agree sorry sir.

LOADING TIMES here we r working..sorry i didnt stress this before

LOADING TIMES DECREASE WHEN PF IS OFF.

PF OFF DOESNT MEAN INCREASE IN FPS

PF OFF ONLY IMPROVES UR LOADING TIMES AND MOST OF THE TIME SMOOTH FPS (This is because game files loads to RAM not PF on HDD so accesing those fiels r faster than HDD and so game engine or hwat ever process them directly from RAM as fast as possible..)

Comon people i dont ry to effect minds but this is what iam experiencing. Kingston or Crusader doesnt pay me for this :D

with 8GB of ram and no page file i am having faster loading times and smoother game play..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I think the easiest solution is to Enable PF and Put it set to 256/256

This lets the apps that require a pagefile to actually not cause errors. And Setting it to 256 wont slow down your hard drive/ computer. Just get a disk i/o monitor....its wont be going crazy if it only has 256 to work with.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you mean Decrease here :D

6. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    I have had my pagefile loaded into a virtual hard drive (RAMdrive) for over a year now.

I use a 64-bit OS (Windows 7 at the moment) with 8GB of RAM.

Most applications and games are 32-bit and are often programmed to only use up to 4GB of RAM...

Therefore I have 4GB of RAM for the system and applications and the remaining 4GB of RAM used for the pagefile with a RAMdrive (as some applications and games require a page file).

I can say that I get much faster reading throughput in games from my 2 x Raptors (which is also my system partition in RAID0) when I move the pagefile off the system partition, so that the pagefile is on another physical drive.

This reduces the amount of reading to the system volume and is quite noticeable in games when loading/saving.

I also noticed that I get even better performance in games for map loading times with the pagefile loaded into RAM via the RAMdrive.

If I make a large map transition and then go back to the original area again it loads in a split second.

If I do the same with the page file on any hard drive it takes several seconds (sometimes up to ~20 seconds depending on the game).

With SSD's on their way into the market I think that RAMdrives will increase in popularity, due to the limited number of write cycles ;).

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'll just copy & paste my post from another thread on the subject....

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    For the people that say oh well disabling PF didn't increase performance for me so I'll re-enable it I ask: Say a gas station was offering petrol (Gas for you USA guys) at $2 a litre/gallon less than your usual gas station so you decide to try it.
    If after 100km or so you didn't notice any boost in power, would you think to yourself "well hell this isn't giving me any more power than my usual stuff so I'm just gonna switch back to my usual product which is $2 more a litre/gallon".
    You wouldn't would you? You'd keep buying the cheaper stuff because - it was cheaper......

Also that's like saying well I want faster internet so I upgraded my Dual Core CPU to a Quad core and dammit - I still can't get more than 10MB/s d/l speed.

It depends on the application and other variables...

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

Ahh yeah man...:D lol..DECREASE indeed...my English scks u know :nerd:

and yeah Pill, it depends on what u r up to..
    I said before with this laptop i write from right now, i have 2GB ram and XP..if this was my home pc i would disable pagefile but not this time. this is business laptop and running high priority applications such as NETCAD and AUTOCAD.

10. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ok not sure what your on about with your petrol analogy, of course i would use the cheaper petrol/gas its cheaper!! extra performance from my engine would have nothing to do with that decision.

If someone said its cheaper and Will offer better performance and i notice no improvement again i would still use it because its Cheaper! Unless the petrol was doing long term damage to my engine i would say stuff your petrol lol ;)

I just dont see the point in leaving it off if theres no performance gains considering one day i may run into and app that requires it and i get a system crash that causes me to lose data in another program im running.

I would much prefer to move the PF to another Physical Drive than turn it off.

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    32bit apps can only use up to 2gb of memory if I remember correctly.

Photoshop was taking over my computer the other day, maxing out 8gb of ram (other rig) when I was creating posters haha, took nearly 5 minutes to save a file that was 1.5gb+.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    6GB of RAM and 10GB pagefile on separate HDD. Works far better than just 6GB of RAM with no pagefile.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why not just make it 20GB?.......:p

Yeah that wasn't really the best analogy was it...

15. panZEr330

panZEr330 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280 @666/2333
    mine's 11133 MB on a 2nd HDD, it's got 1TB of space on it so why not..?

16. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Turning page file off in Vista 32bit Home basic with 3.25GB , is this safe to do, what are the side effects?

Also, where do i go to turn it off lol , i am new to vista, this OS i am getting used too, but its too many options , i tend to get lost lol

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Half the applications I have require a page file to use. So yeah.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'm only telling you what i specifically said, faster hardware beats OS tweaking for performance. not to tell you that you must buy new hardware or OC or that you should not tweak for configurability/usability. however if you have PF drive thrashing, then i would say the system isnt the most balanced it could be. tit for tat.

class a hardware tweak as a software tweak....why? it wont change my intention

theres a difference between tweaking for performance and tweaking for user configuration.

20. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Only up to 2GB? :O

Any idea as to the reason for this?