An interview with ATI's Dave Baumann [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

AMD recently launched a new high-end graphics card. In that spirit we interviewed Dave Baumann. A name that might sound familiar to some of you. Dave Baumann was at the time chief editor for Beyond3D....

More...

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    damn no game profiles :(

we are lucky someone created ATI CrossFire Xtension.

3. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    WOOW ! Great Q&A :thumbup:

4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Great Q+A session.

However, no game profiles = epic fail.

I won't be returning to ATI until this is resolved, otherwise multi GPU solutions with ATI are pretty much a waste of money.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hey pretty cool

6. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Excellent read !!! Great job Hilbert

Game profiles would be a plus but tbh I dont find a game that doesnt have a profile.

I think the best solution is to have support for the game before it launches, they mentioned they working on that.

7. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I beg your pardon ?

8. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I second that. Emoticon -> :confused:

Waste of money? Uh, no. Not so much, really.
    While Nvidia's SLI solution does seem to be marginally superior to ATI's Crossfire solution (at least, that's what the benchmarks seem to say), neither one is all that cost efficient. If you want to talk about wasting money, we can have a nice long discussion about Quad-SLI or Quad-Crossfire anytime you like. I'll even keep it friendly.
    Still, I don't see that a lack of game profiler on ATI's part is any reason to boycott the whole brand. Yes, Nvidia's game profiles are... what is that phrase you kids use these days... teh awsoem!.... but that's merely icing on the cake, not the rich creamy cake filled with chocolately goodness that is the video card itself. Don't like cake without icing? Wecome to the real world where not all cake has icing. It's still Delicious Cake, though.

I belive I can summ up your misunderstanding of the situation here.

You want multiple video cards, but you don't wanna go ATI because their lack of Game Profiles act like sharp pointy objects between you and your video cards (here represented by delicous cake)

[​IMG]

Now then, what you seem to not be realising is that you can simply GO AROUND the obsicle by thinking outside the box.

Like so:

[​IMG]

See? How hard was that? :)

9. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    TheSarge, thats the funniest post I've seen in long while!!

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys, please keep this thread on topic okay ? Thanks.

11. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Cool article. Nice to see the SidePort and profile questions answered. Too bad I don't like the answers. ;)

Too bad Hilbert didn't ask how long it will take to get the 2D/3D bug on the X2 fixed. That one is really annoying. People pay premium for these cards, so they expect premium support.

Profiles for games in CCC would be really nice. Even for non-CF solutions. ATI should really reconsider their position on this. In times where competition is rough any "icing on the cake" may make a difference. It's not very convenient to use workarounds, but I still like my card.

@TheSarge: Still laughing at your post. :p

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  12. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    As a journalist myself I can say this has been a perfect Q&A. The questions were right on the spot and the answers bets edited to stick on topic.

I have always been a "green" but ever since I went "red" I have noticed how smarter ATI's moves hev been. While Nvidia is wprried about making the best GPU in raw power in the worls, ATI is looking at the market for answers. Nad this new strategy of market sweet spot of theirs is only proving to be very effective.

Not only that I felt kind of cheated when I had an 8800 and Nvidia anounced PhysicX support on their card. OK it ran the demo apps great but almost no games had support for it. Its kind of like buying a Ferrari to go grocery shopping: it's great but what's the point. Even today there are only a hand full of worth it games that has physicx support. IMO ATI is doing great researching OpenCL physics that can run either on GPU or CPU.

All together great interview. Kepp up the good work Guru3D.