Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
AMD Phenom II X4 920 and 940 review [Guru3D]
Old
  (#1)
Guru3D News
Ancient Guru
 
Guru3D News's Avatar
 
Videocard:
Processor: HAL 9000
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default AMD Phenom II X4 920 and 940 review [Guru3D] - 01-08-2009, 06:00 | posts: 6,462

AMD today unleashes their Dragon and though that might sound like a pun it's actually an AMD marketing phrase for the infrastructure that carries Phenom II an AMD 790 chipset based motherboard Radeon...

More...
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
DSK
Banned
 
Videocard: HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
Processor: E6300 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte - GA-EP43T-UD3L
Memory: Sector Five @ 1333CAS7
Soundcard: Realtek 81xx
PSU: Silverstone 500w
Default 01-08-2009, 06:05 | posts: 17,954 | Location: Coldwells,UK

That it was one of the most in-depth cpu reviews i'v seen in a long while overall i'm very impressed its not that far off the i7 but in general the prices are good i guess the guys with AM2+ boards are going to have grin on there faces
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
kidswithguns
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Processor: Phenom 9750 @ 2700MHz
Mainboard: Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe
Memory: TWINXMS2C5 2X2GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec True Power Quattro
Default 01-08-2009, 06:12 | posts: 8

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...i7-down-480468

Reviewer might want to take a look at this.

The Core i7 performs almost the same as E8000 in gaming benchmarks.

Because, Vista thinks Hyper Threading = 8 true cores, which mean if your games support 2 threads, it will run on 1 core, and 1 virtual core.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
sbrehm72255
Newbie
 
Videocard: Sapphire Toxic HD4870
Processor: Intel i7 920
Mainboard: ASUS P6T
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 3 x 2 gig
Soundcard:
PSU: SilverStone 700w
Default 01-08-2009, 06:17 | posts: 22 | Location: Back Woods of MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylzer View Post
That it was one of the most in-depth cpu reviews i'v seen in a long while overall i'm very impressed its not that far off the i7 but in general the prices are good i guess the guys with AM2+ boards are going to have grin on there faces
Performance between the i7 920 and the AMD 940 clock for clock isn't even close. ..............
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Aura89
Ancient Guru
 
Aura89's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 770 OC Twin Frozr
Processor: AMD FX 4100 @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock 970 Extreme3
Memory: GeIL 8Gb DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Sounblaster Z/DT 990 Pro
PSU: Antec 650 Watt
Default 01-08-2009, 06:22 | posts: 5,023 | Location: Washington State, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrehm72255 View Post
Performance between the i7 920 and the AMD 940 clock for clock isn't even close. ..............
shh, go away intel fanboi, it depends on the situation, as if you read the review, it's true in some instances, and gets beaten by a long shot in many instances
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 01-08-2009, 06:26 | posts: 7,127 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

If you look at the game benchmarks they are all virtually the same with a few fps difference here and there - and lets be honest, who cares if winrar takes 30 seconds longer to finish.. it's all about FPS. =d

Last edited by Denial; 01-08-2009 at 06:34.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Aura89
Ancient Guru
 
Aura89's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 770 OC Twin Frozr
Processor: AMD FX 4100 @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock 970 Extreme3
Memory: GeIL 8Gb DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Sounblaster Z/DT 990 Pro
PSU: Antec 650 Watt
Default 01-08-2009, 06:28 | posts: 5,023 | Location: Washington State, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
If you like a the game benchmarks they are all virtually the same with a few fps difference here and there - and lets be honest, who cares if winrar takes 30 seconds longer to finish.. it's all about FPS. =d
true dat
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
krayzieNRG
Maha Guru
 
krayzieNRG's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS 6870
Processor: Q6600-3.5ghz-Corsair H50
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula X38
Memory: 4 gb Patriot
Soundcard: Creative sound blaster
PSU: CoolerMaster 1000W
Default 01-08-2009, 06:35 | posts: 947 | Location: Jamaica

come on now ,that's on a am2+ mobo with DDR2 and getting the performance that really great in my book..well done AMD,atleast it doesn't take a change of almost everything to get one unlike i7.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
RejZoR
Ancient Guru
 
RejZoR's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire HD4870 Silent
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Gene
Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default 01-08-2009, 07:16 | posts: 4,212 | Location: Europe/Slovenia/Ljubljana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidswithguns View Post
http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...i7-down-480468

Reviewer might want to take a look at this.

The Core i7 performs almost the same as E8000 in gaming benchmarks.

Because, Vista thinks Hyper Threading = 8 true cores, which mean if your games support 2 threads, it will run on 1 core, and 1 virtual core.
Erm, no. If game originally runs using 2 threads, i7 will run the game on 4 cores. 2 physical and 2 virtual, each attached to 1 physical core.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Cartman372
Maha Guru
 
Cartman372's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 680 FTW+ 1280/7200
Processor: i5-3570K TR TRUE Black
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: mushkin 32GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Onboard + Creative 2.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 01-08-2009, 07:22 | posts: 977 | Location: Newton, NJ

Sweet, reading the review right now. Maybe it gives me something to upgrade to ^^

Could upgrade my Phenom X4 9850 to a Phenom II X4 940
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Stukov
Ancient Guru
 
Stukov's Avatar
 
Videocard: 6970 UL / 4870X2 (dead)
Processor: Intel i5 3570k 4.2-4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Professional
Memory: 16GB Gskill 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Audigy
PSU: Corsair 850watt
Default 01-08-2009, 07:23 | posts: 4,876 | Location: South Dakota

It looks as though this is the best bang for your buck quad core at 1600+ resolution. Were there no temp tests? And was there a comparison of power consumption that I missed?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
K.I.T.T.
Banned
 
Videocard: Pending...
Processor: Core2D E6750
Mainboard: Asus P5K-E Wifi AP
Memory: 4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Soundcard: LogitechZ5500 + Onboard
PSU: Asus 550W P-55GA
Default 01-08-2009, 07:32 | posts: 286 | Location: Australia

powerhouse my a**. Its about as fast as my E6750 according the review at Tomshardware. Think AMD heading the way of the Dodo.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
Knox
Maha Guru
 
Knox's Avatar
 
Videocard: PowerColor HD7870
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX V2
Memory: 8GB Gskill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Xonar DX & Logitech X-530
PSU: Rosewill HIVE 650W
Default 01-08-2009, 07:38 | posts: 1,549 | Location: Oz, across from the Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
powerhouse my a**. Its about as fast as my E6750 according the review at Tomshardware. Think AMD heading the way of the Dodo.
LOL you said, tom's hardware.

IMO there just as reputable as Fudzilla or the Inquirer.

Reguardless for there price range, and decent overclocks they look like good bang for the buck.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
DES_MX
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
Mainboard: EX58-UD5 (Bios beta 12)
Memory: 6GB Corsair@1400Mhz (3x2)
Soundcard: X-Fi & 5.1 GigaWorks
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 01-08-2009, 07:57 | posts: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
LOL you said, tom's hardware.

IMO there just as reputable as Fudzilla or the Inquirer.

Reguardless for there price range, and decent overclocks they look like good bang for the buck.
Well i have to say Hilbert is also a bit exaggerating the Hyperthreading impact (which on average gives -1 to 1% boost across multimedia, math, professional, and game benchmarks). So Intel's HTT isn't really that great. Turbo Boost is, since it gives at least 1 free multiplier bump. E.g. on i 920 from 20x to 21x.
Thats why no one notices the negative impacts of HTT, since it's usually enabled together with Turbo.

Anyways, comparing highly OC'd Phenom @ 3.8ghz vs intel at i7 @ 2.66, which is more than 1ghz slower is just UNFAIR. e.g mixing apples and pears. Pro's don't do that.

OC vs OC
non-OC vs non-OC

thats the way to go

otherwise it's punching below the waist. Hilbert.

Last edited by DES_MX; 01-08-2009 at 08:22.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
noteleet
Member Guru
 
noteleet's Avatar
 
Videocard: nVidia 5200 FX 128mb
Processor: Pentium 4 3.06ghz
Mainboard:
Memory: 2 x 512mb ddr 333
Soundcard:
PSU: 350w
Default 01-08-2009, 08:17 | posts: 91 | Location: Arizona

The real steal is the Phenom II 920 imo, at 1600 res it was on par or ridiculously close with both the Phenom II 940 and the i7 920.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
wud03
Master Guru
 
wud03's Avatar
 
Videocard: ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
Processor: Brisbane 6000+ @ 3.37 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR2 800
Soundcard:
PSU: COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W
Default 01-08-2009, 08:21 | posts: 264 | Location: Flushing, NY

True, but this is a review of the Phenom II's. If you want to compare it to OC'ed i7s, write down the numbers and compare it to OC'ed i7's in earlier reviews. Just read the graphs; it tells the truth. Hilbert's conclusion makes sense. He goes out of the way to tell the readers i7 is more powerful, but points out that Phenom IIs are a great value. I don't see the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_MX View Post

Anyways, comparing highly OC'd Phenom @ 3.8ghz vs intel at i7 @ 2.66, which is more than 1ghz slower is just UNFAIR. e.g mixing apples and pears. Pro's don't do that.

OC vs OC
non-OC vs non-OC

thats the way to go

otherwise it's punching below the waste. Hilbert.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Tat3
Ancient Guru
 
Tat3's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480 w/ 244T
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default 01-08-2009, 08:22 | posts: 11,300 | Location: Finland

What I was interested was gaming at high res and there Phenom2 X4 940 @ 3.8GHz did very good job.

I really dont have very much extra money atm, but I hope to upgrade in next month or two and this looks good
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
DES_MX
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
Mainboard: EX58-UD5 (Bios beta 12)
Memory: 6GB Corsair@1400Mhz (3x2)
Soundcard: X-Fi & 5.1 GigaWorks
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 01-08-2009, 08:30 | posts: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by wud03 View Post
True, but this is a review of the Phenom II's. If you want to compare it to OC'ed i7s, write down the numbers and compare it to OC'ed i7's in earlier reviews. Just read the graphs; it tells the truth. Hilbert's conclusion makes sense. He goes out of the way to tell the readers i7 is more powerful, but points out that Phenom IIs are a great value. I don't see the problem.
I don't see a problem either, except for the fact that it is all too well used by reviewers to bias the results in either way. So in effect I have more of structured critique than a "problem". And besides, some things are just unethical. So to boil it down:

1) HTT on i7 platform DOES NOT benefit on average. (taking different benchmark suites and averaging out the performance gains. In Mathematica and MatLab for example i7 with HTT can deliver up to -50% performance DECREASE)
2) Turbo does. 1x free multiplier, nuff said.
3) Give us a clock-for-clock performance comparisson.

OR

4) Give the "nominal" comparisson complemented by max overclock comparisson. e.g. same price range cpu's (indeed i7 920 vs Q9550 vs Phenom 940) and then overclock each platform to it's max stable clocks and compare again. Simple, yet very, very revealing to each group of users.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 01-08-2009, 08:46 | posts: 21,120 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_MX View Post
I don't see a problem either, except for the fact that it is all too well used by reviewers to bias the results in either way. So in effect I have more of structured critique than a "problem". And besides, some things are just unethical. So to boil it down:
Are you done bitching like a little kid in every thread I run into ? Here's my answer to your HT remarks.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-...-965-review/10

If our reviews do not suit your needs ... then read them elsewhere.

Sjeesh


Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Follow Guru3D on facebook.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru
 
HeavyHemi's Avatar
 
Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 01-08-2009, 08:53 | posts: 3,536 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_MX View Post
Well i have to say Hilbert is also a bit exaggerating the Hyperthreading impact (which on average gives -1 to 1% boost across multimedia, math, professional, and game benchmarks). So Intel's HTT isn't really that great. Turbo Boost is, since it gives at least 1 free multiplier bump. E.g. on i 920 from 20x to 21x.
Thats why no one notices the negative impacts of HTT, since it's usually enabled together with Turbo.

Anyways, comparing highly OC'd Phenom @ 3.8ghz vs intel at i7 @ 2.66, which is more than 1ghz slower is just UNFAIR. e.g mixing apples and pears. Pro's don't do that.

OC vs OC
non-OC vs non-OC

thats the way to go

otherwise it's punching below the waist. Hilbert.
Of course if you had actually read the entire article you would have noticed that every single one of the benchmarks included the stock 940 and OC'd 940 versus the others for comparison. So there was non OC vs non OC. You're implying you're a a pro huh? Schwing and a miss dude.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru
 
HeavyHemi's Avatar
 
Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 01-08-2009, 08:56 | posts: 3,536 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
Are you done bitching like a little kid in every thread I run into ? Here's my answer to your HT remarks.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-...-965-review/10

If our reviews do not suit your needs ... then read them elsewhere.

Sjeesh
He is so much of a 'PRO' he missed your non OC to non OC comparison in every benchmark. Perhaps he can link us to his professional reviews eh? LOL What a nack.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
DES_MX
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
Mainboard: EX58-UD5 (Bios beta 12)
Memory: 6GB Corsair@1400Mhz (3x2)
Soundcard: X-Fi & 5.1 GigaWorks
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 01-08-2009, 09:08 | posts: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
Are you done bitching like a little kid in every thread I run into ? Here's my answer to your HT remarks.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-...-965-review/10

If our reviews do not suit your needs ... then read them elsewhere.

Sjeesh
First of all, Hilbert, I am not a little kid. Second - I am not bitching by any account, but pointing out how and why the article seems biased. Third, before anyone will start using the "fanboy" labels, I have been switchinb back and forth from Intel to AMD and back to Intel for several years now.

As to your rather *rude* response, I would like to give a few counter-arguments:

1) You probably just got angry and didn't pay attention to my post at all, since I was saying that ON AVERAGE the HTT does not give any benefit to performance. Now you just gave me a link to your own review in KribiBench, where indeed IT DOES. Ironically that's a SINGLE bench result, and HTT at ITS BEST.

To oppose this, I would like to repeat again that if you take an average of different purpose test suites (Matlab, Mathematica, 7zip, WinRar, FLAC, Lame, XVid, Divx, PHP Calculator, PHPSpeed, Synthetic MySQL, Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, Call of Juarez, Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Unreal Tournament 3, World in Conflict) you gain around 0% increase in performance.

2) To back my words up, I include a link on an in-depth performance testing on iXBT.com, a very respectable Russian hardware portal. I do not think it needs any further introduction to you.

http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/ci7-turbo-ht.shtml

Now the review is initially in Russian, but the tables are all English-based, and include all the info needed to comprehend.

To make things easier, here is the same page translated into English by google:

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

I hope everyone can see these results and judge for themselves. As for you Hilbert, I am very disappointed by your rather rude and categorical response, with unstructured insults. By the way I do not think that being 23 and having one BSc and one MSc title in general economics, business studies at the University of Amsterdam no less makes me a lil bitching kid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHemi View Post
Of course if you had actually read the entire article you would have noticed that every single one of the benchmarks included the stock 940 and OC'd 940 versus the others for comparison. So there was non OC vs non OC. You're implying you're a a pro huh? Schwing and a miss dude.
To answer you as well, no I am not implying I am, by no account. I do imply that after reading hardware reviews for many, many years one does get a feeling of whats done properly, and what is not.

In fact, Hilbert does include non-OC and non-OC results of i7 vs 940. On the other hand he does NOT include the results of OC'd i7 vs OC'd 940. The view I take on this is not only CPU wise, but PLATFORM wise (e.g X58 vs 790FX/GX) as well. I hope I am being clear now.

Last edited by DES_MX; 01-08-2009 at 09:16.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
hallryu
Don Altobello
 
hallryu's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 01-08-2009, 09:14 | posts: 11,364 | Location: England

Nice to see AMD on the up. This new CPU will be serious contender for all the folks that don't want a complete overhaul and all the expense and heart ache that comes with it! Justifying the cost to the Mrs, buyers remorse, the disappointment when thing run just slightly quicker than before.

Good review and nice one AMD.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
DSK
Banned
 
Videocard: HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
Processor: E6300 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte - GA-EP43T-UD3L
Memory: Sector Five @ 1333CAS7
Soundcard: Realtek 81xx
PSU: Silverstone 500w
Default 01-08-2009, 09:15 | posts: 17,954 | Location: Coldwells,UK

@ DES MX

Hilberts probably pissed cause that review looked like it had taken a while to do and then gets ridiculed WTF man thats not nice.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 01-08-2009, 09:30 | posts: 21,120 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_MX View Post
As to your rather *rude* response, I would like to give a few counter-arguments.
Last response: This is a fair and objective written review. The fact that you look at it from another POV doesn't make your opinion right. Quoting one source is a little too limited really.

Anyway, so be it. But now please move on before you get into an arguement with me.


Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Follow Guru3D on facebook.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.