Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

This truely sucks. (Ati slows down furmark)
Old
  (#1)
MetalFox
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX670 DCII
Processor: 2500K @ 5Ghz
Mainboard: P8Z68V
Memory: 16Gb
Soundcard: x-fi
PSU: Corsair
Default This truely sucks. (Ati slows down furmark) - 08-27-2008, 16:44 | posts: 907 | Location: Finland

http://en.expreview.com/2008/08/26/a...it-run-slower/

Oh yeah, I'd call it a virus nice job! Nice way to try to tape the bad cooler and low rpm's to fix everything magically!

Well what do you think about this? I'd go so far that I'm a bit worried about this product, what about in the future some game is so gpu intensive they would do the same and slow it down to prevent heat... that's frikking funny.

What a joke!

Anyhow you can fix the card by using aftermarket bios or modifying it by yourself, but fixing product shouldn't be the buyers job.

Let's see how this unfolds.

Last edited by MetalFox; 08-27-2008 at 17:14.

Old
  (#2)
drouge
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x HIS HD5970
Processor: XEON W3580
Mainboard: P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: OCZ 2000
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: silverstone 1000W
Default 08-27-2008, 17:48 | posts: 433 | Location: on the edge

Same thing on cat 8.54

So 8.54 must be cat 8.9 beta?

Old
  (#3)
cowie
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX
Processor: 2600k
Mainboard: gigabyte p67 UD7
Memory: 2x4g 1600 ddr3
Soundcard:
PSU: pcp&c 1200 watt
Default 08-27-2008, 21:20 | posts: 11,751 | Location: new jersey

well i sent my 48x2 back i paid way to much for this software....the hardware i like thuo

Old
  (#4)
urmysin
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA 9800GT 1GB SLi
Processor: Phenom II X4 955BE @3.8
Mainboard: ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi
Memory: 4GB GSkill DDR2(PC2 8500)
Soundcard: HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1
PSU: APEVIA WARLOCK ATX-WA750W
Default 08-27-2008, 21:40 | posts: 238 | Location: Planet Earth & Camping On The Moon

I have to say that is just pitiful. What are they doing to themselves? Seems like to me a better cooling solution is in order here after reading that garbage. Does AMD/ATI have developer with earned their degrees or did they buy them from an offer of spam email? People don't want less performance they want something that is flexible and working straight from the package.

Old
  (#5)
Egregious

Videocard: Mobility 5830 1GB GDDR3
Processor: Core i5 430M
Mainboard: Intel PM55
Memory: 4GB 1066Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: 120W HP
Default 08-27-2008, 21:54 | posts: 17 | Location: WY, USA

I guess I didn't really understand the article.

So they're saying there's more potention to these cards than ATI is letting on?

I don't see what the problem with that is, honestly. If they're still faster than the competing nVidia card, why should it matter?

All this means is that you can rename .exe files you can "unlock" the higher potential of your card and in turn melt it?

As long as the games we get 100fps in, while the nVidia cards are getting 95fps in same aren't suddenly being limited to 60fps then it shouldn't really matter what measures ATI takes to keep the cards from melting themselves.

I guess my opinion is that as long as the performance is as advertised I won't be worrying about some sort of "unlockable" aspect to my card to make the FPS jump.

Just my 2 cents, and you can correct me if I have misunderstood the written article!

Old
  (#6)
MetalFox
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX670 DCII
Processor: 2500K @ 5Ghz
Mainboard: P8Z68V
Memory: 16Gb
Soundcard: x-fi
PSU: Corsair
Default 08-28-2008, 00:34 | posts: 907 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
I guess I didn't really understand the article.

So they're saying there's more potention to these cards than ATI is letting on?

I don't see what the problem with that is, honestly. If they're still faster than the competing nVidia card, why should it matter?

All this means is that you can rename .exe files you can "unlock" the higher potential of your card and in turn melt it?

As long as the games we get 100fps in, while the nVidia cards are getting 95fps in same aren't suddenly being limited to 60fps then it shouldn't really matter what measures ATI takes to keep the cards from melting themselves.

I guess my opinion is that as long as the performance is as advertised I won't be worrying about some sort of "unlockable" aspect to my card to make the FPS jump.

Just my 2 cents, and you can correct me if I have misunderstood the written article!
Nope, it the thing slows down 50% only in furmark. It might be bad optimization perhaps, would not be new. Anyhow this proves that the stock cooler is way too weak for the card, the design is a bit flawed, it can be fixed trough modifying but that's not the buyers job.

Of course I'm buying a accelero rev.2 to this thing, but well you all get the point.

Old
  (#7)
Dr. Vodka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX 6850 1GB @ 930/1180
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz 1.26v
Mainboard: Sabertooth P67
Memory: 2x4GB DDR3-1333 @ 1866
Soundcard: Xonar DX+DIY amp + PX100
PSU: PC P&C Silencer 750w
Default 08-28-2008, 01:28 | posts: 3,802 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

They deliberately "optimize" their driver to make furmark not stress their GPUs that much, because there have been reports of furmark killing HD4800 cards because of the heat (as you can see, nearly 100°C sustained aren't good for the card's health). If you rename furmark.exe to something else, this "optimization" goes away and the bench runs at full throttle.

I checked this yesterday, got the same results. AS5 + stock cooler 40% fan.

Furmark.exe: 79° max, 36 FPS avg

renamed.exe: 94° max, 66 FPS avg

If I set the fan at 65% the temps with the renamed furmark go down at about 76°C, more than healthy for a 4850. I'll be buying an accelero S1 soon... as summer is approaching here in Argentina, I don't want my GFX to die from extreme heat while gaming, specially with so many games coming out the following 3 months. I also don't want to lose some hearing because of the high pitched sound of the stock fan, too.

Old
  (#8)
Iarwain
Banned

Videocard: 4890 990//1120
Processor: Phenom II x3 720 3.7ghz
Mainboard: Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS
Memory: A-Data DDR2 800 6GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 08-28-2008, 02:00 | posts: 3,048

Before you start tossing around completely unsubstantiated claims, how can you be sure they purposely wanted to slow down furmark. For all you know someone was testing something and forgot to put it back.

I'm not saying your wrong, ATI and Nvidia have done worse things, but why not ask ATI? Instead of just running your mouth before you've even looked into it.

Old
  (#9)
Dr. Vodka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX 6850 1GB @ 930/1180
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz 1.26v
Mainboard: Sabertooth P67
Memory: 2x4GB DDR3-1333 @ 1866
Soundcard: Xonar DX+DIY amp + PX100
PSU: PC P&C Silencer 750w
Default 08-28-2008, 02:14 | posts: 3,802 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

I can't see another excuse for this, they want their cards with 10% fan speeds to survive furmark's heat, so they on purpose did this.

This is explained by renaming furmark to something else, I can hear my card work much harder, the VRMs are really working at full speed with the renamed furmark, the other way around they sound as if they were almost idle. You know, the high pitched noise coming from these GFX cards.. if you for example change some game's .exe name to furmark, it'll slow down too, as it loses its optimizations AND furmark's driver settings kick in. The only difference being furmark is optimized for lower performance, ergo lower heat. This must be on purpose. They just won't cap their cards' performance on a benchmark by mistake, of course they wouldn't do that. Such thinking is exactly the opposite to what they'd usually do, improve performance.

My "theory" has a good start, don't you think? I've looked into this, and I have hard proof on this thing. The strange behaviour is there, and this is the most probable explanation. I'm not that kind of guy who says things before having read about them; of course I'd love to hear what AMD has to say about this.

Anyway, as long as they don't mess with game performance, and pull a GFFX-like driver optimization out of their hat, it's alright.

Last edited by Dr. Vodka; 08-28-2008 at 14:38.

Old
  (#10)
sutyi
Member Guru

Videocard: Gainward GTX 660 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz
Mainboard: GigaByte Z68AP-DS3
Memory: 2x4GB Kingston DDR3-1600
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Chieftec 450W
Default 08-28-2008, 08:29 | posts: 106 | Location: Budaörs, Hungary.

Tried this out, works the same either way @ me.

Old
  (#11)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD7970 GHz TOP
Processor: Intel i5 750 @ 4.0 /1.38v
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D
Memory: GoodRAM 8GB , 1600 MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Gamer|Siberia V2
PSU: Be Quiet! E9 680W
Default 08-28-2008, 09:27 | posts: 3,648 | Location: Poland

I am using 8.8 and renaming doesnt changed anything.

73C Full load with 39% FAN, damn my HD4870 is cooler than my old 8800GTS witch was goign up to 84C

Old
  (#12)
allesclar
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus 1950XTX
Processor: Intel Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Memory: Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 XMS2
Soundcard: SB Audigy 2
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Default 08-28-2008, 10:05 | posts: 5,072 | Location: England

i hope this is only on ati cards but that does seem wierd.

Old
  (#13)
Iarwain
Banned

Videocard: 4890 990//1120
Processor: Phenom II x3 720 3.7ghz
Mainboard: Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS
Memory: A-Data DDR2 800 6GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 08-28-2008, 21:59 | posts: 3,048

I find it unlikely they would do this for any reason that "tries" to make their card look better. They know this is a fairly known benchmark. People are going to notice FPS drops, especially of almost half. They know this, they also know what's happened in the past when a company makes an "optimization" like this. I just find it unlikely that it is on purpose, or to make themselves look better.

Let's be honest, if they wanted, they could just update the driver with new fan speeds, instead of slowing this one program down.

Old
  (#14)
Psychlone
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD5970 Engineering
Processor: i7 3820
Mainboard: ASRock x79 Extreme6/GB
Memory: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
Soundcard: Gigaworks S750 7.1ch 700W
PSU: SPH1200
Default 08-29-2008, 04:03 | posts: 3,718 | Location: Searching for more light...

I'm guessing that none of you have ever renamed a game .exe to something else for any reason whatsoever...right?

A lot of games aren't properly coded to utilize Crossfire right, so renaming the .exe to a 'known' program that uses Crossfire properly will indeed unleash the potential of the X2 cards.

Wow...I thought that was common knowledge - this isn't an attempt by ATi to screw their card's performance - think about that for a second...what purpose would dropping benchmark scores on their flagship cards do for them and their reputation considering it's up against the biggest, baddest nVidia card??? NONE, NOTHING...it's not their intention, it's the poorly written code in some benches and games that causes this, not a conspiracy from ATi!!!
Psychlone

Old
  (#15)
RejZoR
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD4870 Silent
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Gene
Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default 08-29-2008, 06:40 | posts: 4,212 | Location: Europe/Slovenia/Ljubljana

Lol. When they "cheat" to gain higher scores in benches they complain, when you slow it down, they all jump up again and complain even more.
Yeah sure, better cooling and another 20-30 eur to the price. Why? So you can run some freakin dumb FurMark? Give me a break. Stock cooling does it's job just fine for job intended. FurMark was specifically designed to torture graphic cards beyond anything ANY game wil ever do. Not even Crysis loads graphic cards as much and it's the most demanding game there is.

Old
  (#16)
WaroDaBeast
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD7950
Processor: Ph. II X4 965BE / NH-D14
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory: 8GB PC12800 CL11 1T
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2 / Z-5500
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
Default 08-29-2008, 08:11 | posts: 1,887 | Location: Réunion

@RejZoR: I concur.

Old
  (#17)
Mr.StanleyDudek
Master Guru

Videocard: VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Mainboard: MSI P45 NEO
Memory: 4x1GB OCz DDR2 PC2-6400
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
PSU: Tt Toughpower 700w
Default 08-29-2008, 08:42 | posts: 343 | Location: Denton, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaroDaBeast View Post
@RejZoR: I concur.
Agreed.

Old
  (#18)
Stukov
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 6970 UL / 4870X2 (dead)
Processor: Intel i5 3570k 4.2-4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Professional
Memory: 16GB Gskill 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Audigy
PSU: Corsair 850watt
Default 08-29-2008, 09:26 | posts: 4,881 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
Lol. When they "cheat" to gain higher scores in benches they complain, when you slow it down, they all jump up again and complain even more.
Yeah sure, better cooling and another 20-30 eur to the price. Why? So you can run some freakin dumb FurMark? Give me a break. Stock cooling does it's job just fine for job intended. FurMark was specifically designed to torture graphic cards beyond anything ANY game wil ever do. Not even Crysis loads graphic cards as much and it's the most demanding game there is.
Thus sayeth the trutheth...

(same for Psychlone too)

Old
  (#19)
Risco
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 650M
Processor: Intel 3215 QM
Mainboard: Apple Macbook 15 Mid 2012
Memory: 8GB DDR 3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: N/A
Default 08-29-2008, 11:12 | posts: 485 | Location: United Kingdom

While it is annoying, who plays benchmarks? I will be annoyed though it it affects all OGL games.

Old
  (#20)
Alexraptor
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 660Ti + GTX 470 PhysX
Processor: Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
Memory: Vengeance, 2x4Gb 1866mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 08-29-2008, 11:39 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Sweden

Thats just unacceptable. I would RMA a card that had those kind of problems.
A graphics card should be able to run "any" application without getting damaged or overheated when running on factory specs. If you can not it is unacceptable and you should get your money back.

Old
  (#21)
RejZoR
Ancient Guru

Default 08-29-2008, 12:00 | posts: 4,212 | Location: Europe/Slovenia/Ljubljana

AMD's definition of ANY application means any game. Not ANY stupid torture app.
If anyone can show me any kind of actual game that stresses graphic card as much as FurMark i'll buy him a cookie. Hell whole bag of them. 500 kilo one...

Oh and just for info. My card cannot withstand FurMark properly either and i'm using aftermarket cooling, Zalman VF-900. It's not on the level of Accelero but still far superior to stock cooling. Should i complain to Zalman because they have crappy coolers? No, because there is not a single game that VF-900 cannot handle.

Old
  (#22)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DC2
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: SF Golden Green Pro 600W
Default 08-29-2008, 12:01 | posts: 10,522 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Thats just unacceptable. I would RMA a card that had those kind of problems.
A graphics card should be able to run "any" application without getting damaged or overheated when running on factory specs. If you can not it is unacceptable and you should get your money back.
I think that's actually a fine reason for RMA'ing the card since it is actually broken. Just imagine any software that would make similar load on GPU and the card would be useless.

Old
  (#23)
WaroDaBeast
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD7950
Processor: Ph. II X4 965BE / NH-D14
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory: 8GB PC12800 CL11 1T
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2 / Z-5500
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
Default 08-29-2008, 12:04 | posts: 1,887 | Location: Réunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
Thus sayeth the trutheth...

(same for Psychlone too)
Quote:
Thus spake RejZoR.
There, fixed it for ya.

Old
  (#24)
RejZoR
Ancient Guru

Default 08-29-2008, 12:15 | posts: 4,212 | Location: Europe/Slovenia/Ljubljana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
I think that's actually a fine reason for RMA'ing the card since it is actually broken. Just imagine any software that would make similar load on GPU and the card would be useless.
IF the cookie would be a monster the IF would eat the cookie. IF IF IF IF.
Show me such application (thats not called FurMark) and i'll believe you guys...
If Crysis cannot put more load on GPU than FurMark, then what will?

Old
  (#25)
Psychlone
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD5970 Engineering
Processor: i7 3820
Mainboard: ASRock x79 Extreme6/GB
Memory: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
Soundcard: Gigaworks S750 7.1ch 700W
PSU: SPH1200
Default 08-29-2008, 16:16 | posts: 3,718 | Location: Searching for more light...

I don't understand how there's so many people in this one thread (so far, with the exception of 3 people 'in the know') - that no one here has heard of renaming the executable file to something recognized by the drivers as crossfire enabled.

Unbelievable how something as insignificant as this, and a little misinformation in the form of a 'web review' with 'astonishing results' - and how many people just jump the gun and believe anything that they read.

We've been renaming .exe files for YEARS - even the green side does it to enable SLI on programs that aren't coded for it...this isn't new, this isn't a conspiracy.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll never trust a site that bases it's 'knowledge' on things that they don't understand, especially when they say it with such conviction that people believe what they're saying because it sounds and looks 'official'...and the comments below on that site are just as amusing...apparently everyone on the planet but a select few were left out of the loop about renaming .exe files.

As for the cooling on the cards, while I agree that it could have been done better (and anyone that's ever owned an HiS IceQ of any version would know how a HS/f assembly should be made) - ATi has made this cooling system to do what it needs to do...I don't have to agree with ATi on their choices (hence my thread on replacing the thermal paste and Profiles tweaking) - but the fact remains that no single game is going to break your new card with the reference cooling.

Wow...I wish that people could just be more open minded about things rather than thinking someone is out to get them (or in this case, burn their cards) - get real...

Psychlone

I've got to add one of my most famous signatures that I've used for many, many years - just for this thread:

Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing...