Possible? If so, how? FX5900->Quadro / 6800->Quadro

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by DarknessGFX, Feb 25, 2006.

1. aninjaturtle

aninjaturtle New Member

Hrmmm... I'll try switching back to XP and run some test. I'm actually a little curious as to how the numbers will differ.

And I don't know I did jump around from program to program until I fell in love with cinema 4d interface and heirarchy structure. I like the fact that I can loft a surface and tweak it on the fly. I know that rhino 4 has a "history" feature that allows you to do something similar to this but its different. I'm primarily interested in the archviz sector and have found that the C4D interface as the best overall for my purposes.

I'm not going to lie I'm completely self-taught-- The only course I've ever taken in CAD has been on Archicad. With that said, I love how easy it was for me to learn the interface in C4D. I didn't like how illogically scattered features were in 3dmax.

Also, I'm confused the Vray for C4D isn't out yet. And the way its being designed is that its fully integrated into the program. Isn't it a little too soon to pass judgement on it?

2. skinnie

skinnie New Member

GPU:
    Albatron 6800GT 256MB DDR
    Hi Guys I have an Albatron 6800Gt 256Mb ddr3 AGP (NV40) and have been reading and reading about modding it to quadro fx4000..I know that it can be done by software..but I don't know why,I don't trust it lol..
    I'd like to do the hardmodding but I have a doubt...the bios..I saw in some forums that this bios is quite old and buggy,is that true?are there any new bios for this mod?where can I get them?
    thanks

3. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Use the search button. It's all here.

4. skinnie

skinnie New Member

GPU:
    Albatron 6800GT 256MB DDR
    I've been reading lots of threads of this mod,but most stay away from hardmodding,just softmodding with rivatuner,and I've already done that,but I'd like to know if there are new bios of fx4000..just that..From what I've read all over the threads the only bios that people talk is the dell one..

5. maxpoz

maxpoz Active Member

GPU:
    Ati X1600
    Hi Guys,
    I use a x64 bit version of winxp,
    it's possible to softmodding a 6800gt?

Thanks

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Yes, use the latest Rivatuner with 64 bit support

7. senza

senza Member

GPU:
    EVGN GeForce 6800 GT
    qadro but no maxtreme in vista?

Hi, thanks for that install help. Worked out for me with a 6800gt on win vista. I installed forceware 162.50, after installation there were App Configurations showing up. Unfortunately that's the only evidence for a softquadro (or is there any other).
    I installed Maxtreme 9.0.0.1, but Max refuses to load the driver. Is this a common problem or have I missed something?

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    What error message do you get?

9. wharp

wharp New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT
    Hi
    can I mod 6800 GT (NV40PCX Rev: B2) PCI-E?? I worry about this B2. Is this revission modable ?

10. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    If it's really a NV40, then it's moddable.
    Install Rivatuner and tell us what it says on the startup screen... if it says NV40, then you can try modding it.

11. wharp

wharp New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT
    ok this B2 it is NV40 revision A1 (16pp,6vp) :)

12. newbie_pg

newbie_pg New Member

can this card be softmod to a Quadro? Someone is selling it .

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB PCIe

The seller has 2 units to sell.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ok just jumped in the middle of this, but as far as I know, modding to a quadro would make a non -quadro card run slower? No?

Anyway I think if you're going to take it out of the pcthe only way to do it is by hardmodding it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  14. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX 7300 GT 256MB
    Hmmm...

New here...

I've searched but I seem not to have found it...

I'd like to know if it is possible to mod a Nvidia 7300 GT 256 mb PCI-e to a quadro...

I want to do this since Nvidia is driving me nuts with drivers that glitch my screen in Maya 8.5. And I've heard this is something they are not so nicely to fix to force people that use mid range cards to buy the quadro's....

and the quadro drivers I heard are not giving these problems since they are "officially" supported etc...

15. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    No, it is not possible to mod any GeForce 7xxx or 8xxx cards in any way.
    The fastest GeForce's that can be modded to Quadro are
    the NV40-based GeForce 6800 Ultra / GT with AGP 8X interface, and
    the NV45-based GeForce 6800 Ultra / GT with PCI-E interface.

16. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost New Member

GPU:
    Quadro4 700XGL
    While I don't post around here much, I sometimes pop in for the occasional tidbits of info. Back in early 2004, I happened upon a curious situation:

I went out and purchased a Geforce FX5900SE card, supposedly just the basic FX5900 model at the time. The first thing that surprised the hell outta me was the sheer weight of the card/box when I picked it up on the shelf. 4 years ago was around the time when the "mega-heatsink" cards started to appear, and some of the really high end cards were the first batches to require two slots of room on the mobo - they required the AGP slot and the 1st PCI card slot next to it.

Now, the issue at the time - and I wasn't even thinking about it till I got home - was that I knew the FX5900SE was a single slot card. So, consider the smile on my face when I opened the box and pulled out a 2-slot wide monster graphics card that was NOT an FX5900SE. I hopped on Google (even 3 years ago it kicked ass, it always will) and did some quick research. Turns out I'd purchased an FX5950 Ultra and never did figure out why.

For some reason the company (it was PNY, the Verto line) apparently had massive demand for the FX5900 series cards and they couldn't keep up the supply, so they took a bunch of FX5900 and FX5950 Ultras and downgraded them with a modded BIOS to bring the clocks down to the standard FX5900 rated speeds. They even plucked half the RAM off the card so it was 128MB instead of 256MB.

Talk about lucking out - and I remind you this was in early 2004, just before Christmas. I posted a message here at this forum about it so others could go out looking for the same PNY cards - they were easy to spot because, hell, all you had to do was pick up the box. The sheer weight of the thing immediately told you what was inside it; there was no need to open it compared to the featherweight boxes of the real FX5900SE cards which were like 1/4 the weight.

The original thread is here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=79710

I posted that same info at several different forums and was pleased to see about 30 people around the US actually found the PNY FX5900SE "cards" I was talking about and when they opened them up they were quite pleased to find they now owned FX5900 Ultras - I even had 2 people report they ended up with FX5950 Ultras, even better.

So, I've been out of the Quadro game for a few years, but I just picked up a Dell Precision WorkStation 530MT box with dual Xeons and 2GB of RDRAM - yes, it's old, but it's also got 2x73GB 10K SCSI drives, a kickass 64 bit PCI RAID controller w/64MB cache RAM onboard, and...

A Quadro4 700XGL.

So, after all these years, after all the different mods, hacks, driver testing, SPEC benchmarks, installs, reinstalls, etc... I can proudly say I own a real legit Quadro. :)

Now, it's old, I know that, and I don't have issues with that. But, I was just doing some browsing here and found this thread and was very happy to see the softmodding continues, and with incredible success it seems. I decided to take a peek around Craig's List here in the Las Vegas area and turned up a 6800 Ultra for $65 - I'll contact the seller tomorrow hoping that it's still available, because if it is, I'll definitely be softmodding that puppy to a Quadro FX 4000 and having some 3D fun once again.

Yeah, this old machine is slow compared to today's monster Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad boxes with 8800 cards, DDR2 1066 RAM and Raptors galore, but for me it's a solid box that will last a while. I've already looked into a few 36GB 15K Cheetahs for RAID 0 duties, but if I can land that 6800 Ultra then I'll be really jamming.

I even pulled out my all-time favorite wallpaper earlier:

http://members.cox.net/br0adband/dawn_1920x1200.jpg

:D

Yeah, she'll always be the CGI babe of all babes to me. I remember seeing the Dawn demo live the day they introduced the Geforce FX cards to the world right here in Las Vegas during COMDEX back in 2002 at the Bellagio in a private suite that I had an invite to. Boy that was freakin' awesome back then, and I still love that demo, and that virtual girl. :) Even the Wife thinks she's a total CGI hottie. Must be the short hair. hehe

So, just wanted to say it's awesome to see people still pushing the boundaries of what's possible and what can really be done with a little effort and ingenuity.

Congrats on all the great work I see that's been done, and hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to post my own results from the latest softmod operation.

Have fun, always...
    bb

ps
    That original post from early 2004 was under my primary nickname, br0adband. Forgot my password a long time ago and it was registered to a different and long dead email account so I created this one in the past also. 1st post! :D

17. jameser

jameser New Member

been very interested on this topic, 13 pages of conversing, thats extreme! uh a question, im a person who does alot of 3d max work, photoshop and occasion auto and archi cad.

looking to upgrade to new pc. Gonna get quad 6600, 4g ram, and vista.in terms of graphics card is it better to get PCI-e 6800gt to mod it to quadro fx 4000 or buy say a 8800gts gtx etc.

Has anyone got a comparison chart or know what the performance on the forementioned programmes would be like between the two cards.

finally will the 6800gt work with vista

18. juodvarnis

juodvarnis Member

GPU:
    mobility radeon hd 5650
    its better ati 2900 convert to fire gl than use 6800 or 8800, btw 6800 should go to his earned rest ;)

19. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    The Nvidia GeForce -> Quadro mod, or the ATI Radeon -> FireGL mod,
    these are only useful for graphic programs that has to run in OpenGL mode..
    - e.g. like Maya or special "niche market" programs.

Autodesk has found out that even more people will use 3ds Max if it runs perfectly
    on "consumer" hardware like the GeForce cards, and since they don't have
    to make 3ds Max for non-Microsoft OS's (Linux, IRIX, OS X) they can instead have Direct3D as the preferred driver.
    (For their Maya development, it's different. A lot of big compaines use Maya on Linux, so they have to have OpenGL as the driver for Maya.)

In the latest vesions of 3ds Max, Direct3D has become way faster than OpenGL.

So therefore, I would definitely have gone for GeForce 8800 GTX.

(Well, to be honest, what I will do, is that I will rather wait 3-6 months..
    ..until the GeForce 9800 GTX comes, and then buy a Core 2 Quad Q9550 cpu to go with it..! :) )

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  20. jameser

jameser New Member

o right i didnt know that bout max.. ha cheers for the advice but ive been waiting for ages! gotta just buy buy buy :)