ATI Tray Tools F.A.Q.

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by puntarenas, Sep 28, 2006.

1. puntarenas

puntarenas Active Member

GPU:
    Mad Moxx X1900XT 512MB
    GPU and MEM only running at 2D clock speeds since ATT installation.

Ouestions and complains about cards running only 2D clockspeeds since ATT installation come up over and over again. Most times it is 100% PEBKAC and I understand, because i'm also used to click away anything pooping up under windows as fast as possible and to make heavy use of checkboxes, that keep ugly popups away in the future. So I did with the first screen ATT ever showed me and then I went to several forums and asked for help. (Not that I used the search function on the forums. My problems are always unique and people are interested to hear about them.)

ATI Hotkey Poller

ATI uses the "ATI Hotkey Poller" service, to change clockspeeds on their modern graphic cards. The Service runs in the background and detects whenever a 3D application is started and then swithes the GPU and MEM to the higher clock rates as supposed within the cards BIOS. The "ATI Hotkey Poller" comes with the ATI Catalyst driver and doesn't need CCC to be installed.

If ATT detect the background service running, so usually at least the fist time you run ATT, the following window pops up:

[​IMG]

Now choose "Yes" to disable the "ATI Hotkey Poller" or "No" to keep it running in the background.
    This decision deeply affects ATT's functionality (especially overclocking abilitys) as well as the behavior of your graphics card:

1) You choose "Yes" and set the checkbox to automaticaly disable "ATI Hotkey Poller" with further ATT starts. Since ATT by default autostart on Windows startup, simply rebooting won't bring the sevice back.

Without "ATI Hotkey Poller" doing its job, you have to manually take care about clock speeds and apply changes by hand or make use of profiles to set particular speeds for particular applications. Benefit is that with this configuration you can make use of any manual low level overclocking settings ATT provide. Note that ATI Overdrive function will not work without "ATI Hotkey Poller"​

2) You choose "No" and set the checkbox to leave "ATI Hotkey Poller" alone whenever ATT start.

Whenever you start up a 3D application, "ATI Hotkey Poller" will set your graphic card to the 3D clockspeeds and voltages as set in the cards BIOS or within ATTs "ATI Overdrive" settings. ATTs low level overclocking options won't be working with "ATI Hotkey Poller" running. Note that ATI uses slightly relaxed memory timings for Overdrive.​

3) You choose "Yes" or "No" and leave the checkbox regarding further starts unset.

On any further ATT start you will be asked again. One day you want to overclock your card like mad using low level overclocking functions? The other day you want to give your card a little break and deceide to keep it running at factory settings or just using Overdrive? You love working with profiles today and hate them tomorrow? No problem, decision on demand.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Memory Overclocking. Maximum value are less than my default 3D clocks! How to fix it?

- At first, ATT doesn't have any hard limits for overclocking, but the maximum value is restricted. This is only to avoid users to burn their video boards. If you sure you can pass more than limit in ATT, or if you have X1950XTX with new GDDR4 memory chips, you can increase memory (or GPU) maximum clocks in General Settings ->Overclocking Limits.

3. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Why setting 3D settings in ATT shows no effect in the CCC/CP settings? May be ATT unable to set correct 3D settings?

- I wrote about it a lot of times. There are nothing wrong with ATT, the problem in ATI CP or CCC because both CP and CCC doesn't show real 3D settings from registry, but instead of this they show last changed, by user, value in GUI. And store these values in separate location just for their use, not for Catalyst driver. ATT change 3D settings in right registry path, but ATT will not update CP or CCC "last set" values. Why I have to do their job? :) If ATI developers decided that no one else can change 3D settings and there are no needs to display values from RIGHT registry path its their problems , not mine. If you don't believe ATT, do not use it :). Or just check it with small 3D applications or games, not with CP/CCC.

4. berni2k

berni2k Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 256 + HD4850 512
    Where can i download the latest beta? Are there different version for Vista and XP?
    at the windows live skydrive from ray:
    http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/attsetup.exe
    at the mirror:
    http://www.atitraytools.tk/ (now with HD4890 support)

There is now a new page with mirrored links to the latest beta version (+ a nice history of changes):
    old:
    http://www.radeon.ru/downloads/att/b/attsetup.exe
    new:
    http://sna696.helloweb.eu/ray/index.php (now with HD4850 support)

No there are no different version for XP or Vista. ATT will autom. check which Windows you run.

I have got problems with my Nvidia Graphic Card using your tool. What can i do?
    You may have swaped your tools. Sorry ATT is for ATI powerd Graphic Cards.

When new ATT betas are released, is it best to uninstall the old one first, or just install over the top of the old one?
    U dont need to unistall, just install over the top of the old one.

Do I have to leave ATT running for personal CLOCK/FAN speed settings to stay set, or can I exit the program and the clocks will remain at the values I set them to?
    You can exit ATT after setting them, but you will need to autom. load the clocks while start up. Use the command line options for that.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=193898&highlight=command+line

ATT will not alter standard tables, therefor you have to load your personal settings with ATT at each Windows startup to apply your CLOCK/FAN table.
    You can do the following:
    1. Create Overclocking profile and save it
    2. Remove Auto start option in ATT
    3. Add ATT as shortcut to the StartUp folder
    4. Edit this shortcut and add these command line
    /LDOV "this should be name of your profile" /EXIT

Result: After that ATT will be loaded with windows, apply your settings and exits

Does setting V-Sync work under Vista like under XP?
    So far no. Because ATI hasnt found a workaround to force this option in drivers under Vista, I think M$ made some restrictions which make it fail with the old routines.
    EDIT: Ray made a workaroud for this issue before ATI! - dl latest beta and go to game profiles to pleasure yourself :D

ATT doesnt remember my selected 3D game profile after restart. How can I make it atumatically apply?
    It seems you installed CCC some time with your current driver set version.

fix 1:
    completly remove catalyst (use driver cleaner pro 1.5) and reinstall it with unchecked CCC in setup
    comment by Ray: "If you have CCC installed or enabled CCC compatibly mode in ATT, most of your 3D settings will resets to default value by Catalyst itself after restart!"
    fix 2:
    will write it later, no more time, gotta go
    (you can find fix 2 in the beta section of this forum)

I cant start ATT under Vista. message: "Can not load low level driver, please restart the application."
    This just happens with older beta versions of ATT (pre 1.3.6.1018). This said you will have two solution options

1 (preferred)
    download the latest version of ATT (see above)

deactivate UAC (user account control)
    easiest way would be
    -hit windows key and the R key together
    -type msconfig and hit enter
    -go to tools
    -scroll down to disable UAC, click it and hit lounch
    -restart windows

I am unable to start the low lvl driver under Windows Vista 64-bit. How can i fix that?
    Vista x64 needs signed drivers otherwise it will not allow to load them. And as you could think of signing a driver is an expensive task because of Micro$oft. (Maybe if we donate Ray the amount needed he would do it, dont know, what i remember a sign for a year costs ~450 US Dollar)

fix 0 (thx goes to talon_262):
    http://cid-3fa92728ffaa9a8e.skydriv...iles/ATT Vista x64 Driver Signing Utility.exe
    according forum thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=258777

fix1:
    aka "I just want to test ATT under x64"
    while windows startup hit F8 in the upcomming menu select "Disable Signed Driver Checking".

fix2:
    aka "I cant live without ATT, give me the full ****"

load:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

unload:
    bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions

or maybe you can sign the driver yourself as follows
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f7d6-4816-8a3a-43242d71d5361033.mspx?mfr=true
    follow the instructions to install the tools, gen your own certificate, import, sign the driver, and use bcdedit to permanently load it into test mode

Vista x64 beta:
    or try deactivating digital driver signing check in Vista permanently until you manually reactivate it as follows

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe
    (this recipe explains how to create a shortcut if you don't know how)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

Last edited: May 13, 2009

5. freakyj

freakyj New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB
    Q. ok, i start ATT and i get the legendary "blue screen of death" and a physical memory issue, i haven't taken time to read the whole error report thing, but i didn't understand a bit of what was said prior to my post. so, if more info is needed, i shall provide it

Edit: I use ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

____
    A. - You have to disable overclocking in installation procedure for all king of XPress graphics boards (like XPress 200/1150 and so on). No support for overclocking at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  6. Hvitakristr

Hvitakristr Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 4850
    Settings...

Q. All settings except for those in Tweak section disappears and go default after restarting the computer. Is there some setting I may have missed, or could this be a bug in ATi Tray Tools when using Windows Vista?
    ______
    A. A lot 3D settings will be resets to default state after restart if you have CCC installed or activated CCC compatibly mode in ATT. This is Catalyst behavior. This is a way how ATI try to force people to use CCC because after CCC initialization your last settings will be restored. But remember! Not ATT's 3D settings but CCC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  7. Flibble

Flibble New Member

GPU:
    Saphire x1950xt 256mb PCI-e
    Q1. So if you chose YES to the hotkey poller, should you then set (in overclocking settings for an x19xx card) The Gpu Clock, the Mem Clock and the Voltage up to the much higher 3d Spec...
    A. If you disable hotkey poller , OverDrive will not work at all and in this case you have to create 2 Overclocking profiles in ATT (matching your 2d and 3d clocks and voltages) and use them in game or autooverlocking modules.

Q2. Also if you were to choose NO to the hotkey poller and then in overclocking settings bumped up some of the settings a bit when outside a 3d app... upon entering the 3d app would the specs be bumped up even more frazzling your card?
    - Not exactly. If you choose NO, but after that change and apply settings in ATT's Overclocking your OverDrive will stops to work because ATT uses same technique as HotKey poller , but in some other ways which ar incompatible with standard OverDrive settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Attention to everyone.
    If all your D3D games crashes with ATT installed, but you can play OpenGL game, you MUST UPDATE your DirectX engine! (In some of last beta versions of ATT I have updated D3D9 screenshots support)
    This can happened on Clean Vista installation even with SP1 installed!

9. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Q. Why after installation of ATT I lost potins in 3DMarks?

A. First of all you must disable OSD for any kind of benchmarking software. No needs to disable OSD completely in ATT, just create game profile for your application and check "Disable OSD". Also for pre HD 3xxx/4xxx boards if you kill ATI HotKey poller , but do not setup ATT's 2d/3d settings your board will not switch to 3D mode and as a result your benchmark applications will runs with 2D clocks.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    delete pls my bad :(. So sorry :(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008

11. iNomos

iNomos New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Where can I download the latest, stable (non beta) version?

Thank you in advance.

12. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 512Mb
    The latest stable version is years old(2007) and doesn't support any of the recent cards. I've never had a single issue with any beta version that i can recall so it's probably safer to use them.

But if you still want to here is the link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

13. nfkru

nfkru Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    Please: A little help

Anyone can post his best gpu fan profile...i tried so much but i was unable to find a right one :bang:

Sorry, i opened a new thread, here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=288150

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. real.stro

real.stro New Member

GPU:
    X1950XF
    Need help. ATI-TT-Menu incomplete.

I miss the Bottens "OpenGL", "OpenGLProfiles", "Display" and "ATI-Software" in the menu from ATI-TT. Why?

15. real.stro

real.stro New Member

GPU:
    X1950XF
    [​IMG]

One picture of my ATI-TT-Menu

16. Ch'lin

Ch'lin New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5770
    Hi all,

I am new here, and I have one issue with ATT

I'm trying to use the 2D/3D mode. I have no problem with the creation of the modes, both are working well, when I start a 3D application, everything is set well, but when I close the program, the mode 3D stay used, and I have to set back the 2D manually.

Of course, I verified everythng, I did not forget something. I don't understand...
    If someone could help me ^^

Thanks !

17. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950