Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    This doesn't mean anything. All it does mean is that none of these listed cards can do an EAX4 HD, thats for sure... Or they simply don't support OpenAL which is required by SB cards lately in order to use hardware features. Besides, ALL Creative soundcards can perform EAX operations on their own APU. Of course on different levels with different performance (X-Fi is logically way faster even in EAX2 than Live! 5.1 because of raw APU power plus it can even handle higher EAX versions).

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    well your wrong there the A4 supports EAX4, and so does the A2 with a softmod(im pretty sure rob can correct me)

and to nabelon, yes you can run X-fi drivers on Audigy, but it requires a bit of knowledge, and tweaking, take a while, and not really worth it. Unless you like X-FI drivers. If you do get a A2 or A4 i can give u a link for good drivers for them cards

3. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Yes they do. And I still have them installed since I posted that with zero problems.

What tweaking? And the bit of knowledge is nothing more than knowing how to install drivers manually.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Where have i said that it doesn't? There is no Audigy 2 or 4 listed on that list.
    Just Audigy 1 (max EAX3 HD) and Live! series (max EAX2).
    I'm well aware what specific card can do...

6. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    stormy can audigy 4 be installed with x-fi drivers too ? its the one with the remote..:)

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    EAX HD is EAX 4.... I know mine does-Audigy 2. The X-fi supports EAX5.. so card before it naturally would support EAX 4 or EAX HD.. Of course quite a few cards say they support it and they do but in software only..which is not good. SO guys no matter how hard you look you will never find info that says a SB Live 24 bit supports EAX in hardware mode...it just doesn't.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    now im in deep****..suddenly the card that i wanted is on back order..the audigy 2 zs..well i cant wait coz my ears are itchy for it..do u recommend me getting the audigy 4 instead ?

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    audigy value is nothing than a ONBOARD chip with HD support :p
    rob? is that correct!

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    EAX
    EAX2
    EAX3 HD
    EAX4 HD
    EAX5 HD

Audigy 1 cannot do any higher than EAX3 HD. Audigy 2 was introduced as EAX3 HD card but they later upgraded it by software only as it was capable enough for EAX4 requirements. Plus since the SB Live 24bit is an Audigy 1 chip i don't see a reason why would they waste nice slice of a APU die to calculate EAX on CPU and just make things worse? I just don't see any logical reason to do this in any way. Have they ever explicitly say Audigy 2 does that with hardware too? I don't exactly remember but i know they advertised as Audigy 1 also being able to do it in hadware.
    They certanly advertise X-Fi as superior hardware acceleration sound solution just because of 10.000 MIPS they used in the APU. Thats the selling point No.1 anyway...

11. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    1.Oem audigy 2 zs with no cd and nothing nada just anti-static bag n the card -USD $ 79
    2. Retail audigy 4 with box and all full set..bundled remote
    -USD $70

well which one should i take..and the prices are converted from the shop at my place to USD..:)

12. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    sorry double post..

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Check the technical data. I think A2 ZS has better DAC's than A4 Vanilla, but i'm not 100%.

14. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    well me too..the specs just doesnt tell the whole story..btw if i get myself an oem audigy 2 zs..would all the prog bundled be available for dload ?

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580

16. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    btw..im afraid that might get a defect card when buying oem products

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    i got my A2 ZS ina antistatic bag, no software or anything, just downloaded it of the net

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I was typing out a message for you but you beat me to it. I am not sure if you can download the software from the Creative site. I will look for the ISO for you and get back to you..it's a shame I have a A2ZS ISO here and a A4 ISO...The software you downloaded is just plain drivers...you need the applications like the surround mixer and the EAX panel and the THX setup console and the Graphic EQ!!!
    @nabelon, are you still unsure? would you like me to look the cards over for you and give you my opinion? BTW with OEM stuff if it's defective you return it..same as anything else. OEM is just the saem but doesn't include extra software or packaging you don't need...just the hardware..and usually driver CD...can you link me to the places your looking at the cards?
    @Rouge, did you get everything or just th drivers?..I will see what I can find..

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    No i downloaded EVERYTHING, i got an ISO with the CD from creative (not FROM creative but ther cd) ill se if i can dig up the link

20. Vole

Vole Master Guru

GPU:
    6800PCI-E/256mb/464:895
    I look at it this way your sound is only as good as your speakers. I mean if you have a nice sound card and a crappy set of speakers not really doing anything but waisting money, and if you have a nice set of speakers and a crappy audio card. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend right now mine is just fine with my AC'97 integrated audio and my creative speakers for $50.