Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Bose Companion 5....
Old
  (#1)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default Bose Companion 5.... - 02-24-2012, 15:59 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Just picked these up yesterday. Incredible sound. I know, it's crazy to spend $350 on a set of speakers for your PC. But damn, how is it any different than spending $350 on my video card? It's not really. LOL

Anyhoo...I've been building pc's forever. But what's got me curious, because I've never really looked into it, is how does sound get produced from a USB port? These Bose plug straight into a USB, and don't require a sound card at all. I guess the "sound card" is probably in the sub?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Sv0r
Banned
 
Videocard: 570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
Processor: Intel i7 SB-e 3820
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79
Memory: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
Soundcard: SB Creative X-Fi Pro
PSU: Corsair AX650W
Default 02-24-2012, 16:10 | posts: 1,027 | Location: 7855' N, 1156' E

yeah its build-in woofer.


Idk im not a fan of that setup, i had Bose companion 3 and for me personally it sucked. Missing /Weak mid freq. spectrum was the biggest no no...Bass was sick, one of the best i've heard in such systems.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 02-24-2012, 16:17 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Yeah...but the 5 is quite different from the Companion 3 (at least the original 3, not the 3 Series ll), from what I have been reading. 5 definitely has plenty of bass. I've only had to turn the sub up a little over half way, and it shakes pretty good. It's a clean bass response, not the big muddy "boom boom boom" type of bass...which is awesome.

Last edited by Slam; 02-24-2012 at 16:24.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Sv0r
Banned
 
Videocard: 570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
Processor: Intel i7 SB-e 3820
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79
Memory: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
Soundcard: SB Creative X-Fi Pro
PSU: Corsair AX650W
Default 02-24-2012, 16:25 | posts: 1,027 | Location: 7855' N, 1156' E

yeah i had Companion 3 II,..

Yep bass is really sick, deep &groovy
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 02-24-2012, 16:44 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0r View Post
yeah i had Companion 3 II,..

Yep bass is really sick, deep &groovy
"deep and groovy" is the perfect way to describe it.

What you running for speakers now?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Sv0r
Banned
 
Videocard: 570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
Processor: Intel i7 SB-e 3820
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79
Memory: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
Soundcard: SB Creative X-Fi Pro
PSU: Corsair AX650W
Default 02-24-2012, 17:24 | posts: 1,027 | Location: 7855' N, 1156' E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
"deep and groovy" is the perfect way to describe it.

What you running for speakers now?
I bought something cheaper AltecLansing thx 5025? with better mid sound reproduction and more defined spectrum as a whole, the bass is still deep but not so groovy anymore, its more of a kick.

Your companions 5 have bigger satellites, imo this mid-sound freq. shouldn't be a problem.. but back then when i was buying them companion5 was very expensive 540 vs Companion3 II 320.


And yeah that Bose bass groove is one of a kind , lol its what i miss the most by this Altec

Last edited by Sv0r; 02-24-2012 at 17:29.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru
 
RagDoll_Effect's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 02-24-2012, 17:02 | posts: 4,298 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
Just picked these up yesterday. Incredible sound. I know, it's crazy to spend $350 on a set of speakers for your PC. But damn, how is it any different than spending $350 on my video card? It's not really. LOL

Anyhoo...I've been building pc's forever. But what's got me curious, because I've never really looked into it, is how does sound get produced from a USB port? These Bose plug straight into a USB, and don't require a sound card at all. I guess the "sound card" is probably in the sub?
Yeah, Bose are quite good... Most people here don't like them though, however, as some people here also say, sound is subjective

regards,
RagDoll.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 02-24-2012, 17:13 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagDoll_Effect View Post
Yeah, Bose are quite good... Most people here don't like them though, however, as some people here also say, sound is subjective

regards,
RagDoll.
Hey RD!

Yeah, they are really good. My previous set was a pretty decent Creative 2.1 system. They were good, but the Bose puts them to shame.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru
 
RagDoll_Effect's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 02-24-2012, 19:07 | posts: 4,298 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
Hey RD!

Yeah, they are really good. My previous set was a pretty decent Creative 2.1 system. They were good, but the Bose puts them to shame.
Thanks m8 for the cool nickname I have a really good Sub for my system, it's a POLK Audio 430 watt rms tuned sub, PSW505 model... But yeah, the Bose subs are also tuned, which give them the edge in the bass department.

regards,
RagDoll (RD)
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
sdamaged99
Maha Guru
 
sdamaged99's Avatar
 
Videocard: 295X2 XPSC Full block
Processor: i7 4960X @ 4.5 H20
Mainboard: Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 32GB Samsung 2400mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar HDAV1.3
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 02-26-2012, 12:14 | posts: 1,947 | Location: Isle of Man

Could have gotten the superior Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 for less than 100!

I've never heard a Bose sound system than sounded decent. Hell, even my Mercedes C32 AMG has a Bose sound system, and even that isn't particularly good.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 02-27-2012, 01:43 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamaged99 View Post
Could have gotten the superior Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 for less than 100!
"Superior" to you maybe.

But as a lot of people say, sound quality is subjective. And after reading a lot of reviews before buying, quite a few people disagree with you.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Xtreme1979
Maha Guru
 
Xtreme1979's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 2GB O/C
Processor: 2600K 4.4-4.7gHZ 1.30v
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43 B3
Memory: DDR3 Ripjaws Z 2133 4x4gb
Soundcard: X-Fi/Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold
Default 02-27-2012, 03:31 | posts: 1,256 | Location: Bay City, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamaged99 View Post
Could have gotten the superior Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 for less than 100!
I just picked up a pair of those. It was between the Klipsch and the Bose Companion 3 at Sam's Club for $199.00 USD. Besides price the one thing that drove me to the Klipsch was the 2-way satellites. The Promedia are the nicest sounding computer speakers I have ever owned, but I am sure the Companion 3 were no slouch either. Companion 5 is a whole different game and I have never even heard them in person.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
ASLayerAODsk
Master Guru
 
Videocard: 2x R9 280x Gb/His
Processor: Intel i7 4820k 3.7/3.9 WC
Mainboard: Asus P9X79LE
Memory: DDR3 16G Patriot 1600
Soundcard: XonarSTX/NAD7120/B&WDM610
PSU: CMaster SilentPro 1Kw
Default 02-27-2012, 09:57 | posts: 699 | Location: Canada

Sorry...there isnt a Bose system on the planet that would begin to compare to the sound of a set of Klipsch...compare the numbers..compare the sound...its just not gonna happen. This is my opinion, base on my experience with my Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's, as well as many Bose systems and setups that I've demo'd.

Again, this is my own opinion.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru
 
RagDoll_Effect's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 02-27-2012, 11:16 | posts: 4,298 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLayerAODsk View Post
Sorry...there isnt a Bose system on the planet that would begin to compare to the sound of a set of Klipsch...compare the numbers..compare the sound...its just not gonna happen. This is my opinion, base on my experience with my Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's, as well as many Bose systems and setups that I've demo'd.

Again, this is my own opinion.
Yeah, I agree Klipsch make a very good product, but if you've owned a klipsch, but only demo'ed a Bose, then you're really not getting the comparison fairly imo, because it may have not been tweaked or anything and also, you're hearing the Bose in a store. The Klipsch would of course sound better at home, and so would the Bose system... Can you see what I'm getting at?

regards,
RagDoll.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
ASLayerAODsk
Master Guru
 
Videocard: 2x R9 280x Gb/His
Processor: Intel i7 4820k 3.7/3.9 WC
Mainboard: Asus P9X79LE
Memory: DDR3 16G Patriot 1600
Soundcard: XonarSTX/NAD7120/B&WDM610
PSU: CMaster SilentPro 1Kw
Default 02-27-2012, 15:08 | posts: 699 | Location: Canada

actually..i bring all systems home to demo them..listen to them side by side...and demo them quite thourougly. I like to get as thourough an answer for myself as possible when demo'ing and you cant demo properly unless you bring them home....theres just no way. Even the 'numbers' on the products are vastly different...on avg, of capability of the hardware...hard to imagine that even...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru
 
RagDoll_Effect's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 02-27-2012, 20:20 | posts: 4,298 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLayerAODsk View Post
actually..i bring all systems home to demo them..listen to them side by side...and demo them quite thourougly. I like to get as thourough an answer for myself as possible when demo'ing and you cant demo properly unless you bring them home....theres just no way. Even the 'numbers' on the products are vastly different...on avg, of capability of the hardware...hard to imagine that even...
Cool, didn't know you could do that cos in Australia, you can't... Well then, you would know first hand and I commend you on the thorough testing dude...

regards,
RagDoll.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
DirkHardpeck
Master Guru
 
DirkHardpeck's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 780 SLI @ 1150/3305
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar U7
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 02-27-2012, 16:35 | posts: 252 | Location: NJ

Not to purport a flame war, but just to add an opinion in case someone was shopping for speakers and stumbled upon this thread....

I switch my whole sound setup like once a week lol....someone gave me those Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers to hang onto, so I threw my X-Fi Titanium HD back in. Okay, these speakers are far from endgame, but for cheap desktop speakers? They sound way nicer than any I have ever heard (and they sh*t all over my $400 monitors but they aren't really meant for entertainment).

If he takes these back, I will order a set for myself immediately.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
analogic
Member Guru
 
analogic's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon HD 6870 975/1200
Processor: i7 920@3.6 GHz Megahalems
Mainboard: Asus P6T WS Pro
Memory: OCZ Gold DDR3-1725 6GB
Soundcard: Xonar Essence ST OPA1642
PSU: Seasonic X Series 650W
Default 02-28-2012, 23:51 | posts: 63 | Location: Holden Beach, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkHardpeck View Post
Not to purport a flame war, but just to add an opinion in case someone was shopping for speakers and stumbled upon this thread....

I switch my whole sound setup like once a week lol....someone gave me those Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers to hang onto, so I threw my X-Fi Titanium HD back in. Okay, these speakers are far from endgame, but for cheap desktop speakers? They sound way nicer than any I have ever heard (and they sh*t all over my $400 monitors but they aren't really meant for entertainment).

If he takes these back, I will order a set for myself immediately.
Yes, absolutely!
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/4.1/5.1 really are close to hifi for "multimedia" speakers. Especially with a good source like Titanium HD.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
sovietdoc
Master Guru
 
sovietdoc's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX470 SLI
Processor: 3930K @ 5.00Ghz
Mainboard: GA-X79-UD3
Memory: 16Gb PC3-19200
Soundcard: Forte 7.1
PSU: TT 1200W
Default 02-27-2012, 22:06 | posts: 633 | Location: h4x0r_lund

I think Bose makes decent products but they're nowhere near the price/performance ratio they should be in.

There are plenty of higher quality products out there for less of the price.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru
 
RagDoll_Effect's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 02-27-2012, 22:27 | posts: 4,298 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietdoc View Post
I think Bose makes decent products but they're nowhere near the price/performance ratio they should be in.

There are plenty of higher quality products out there for less of the price.
This is true, because I could put together a system for 2k, heaps better than any bose system, so I hear what you're saying...

regards,
RagDoll.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
nikavelli
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 780 Ti
Processor: i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: MSI GD65
Memory: 16GB 1866 Corsair
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR
PSU: 1200-Watt Corsair
Default 02-28-2012, 00:55 | posts: 405

Those speakers look like a ripoff. I feel sorry for the chumps who feed into Bose's marketing machine cause that's all they are: slick marketing and no substance.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 03-01-2012, 19:31 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikavelli View Post
Those speakers look like a ripoff. I feel sorry for the chumps who feed into Bose's marketing machine cause that's all they are: slick marketing and no substance.
You're so full of sh*t, your eyes are brown.

You may, or may not like Bose...or maybe you just can't afford it. But that doesn't mean they don't have any substance to people who like the sound quality they produce. And they wouldn't be so big in the first place, if they didn't have quality product. They are one of the the biggest names in sound, and they didn't get there by making "no substance" product...knucklehead. Think about it.

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
nikavelli
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 780 Ti
Processor: i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: MSI GD65
Memory: 16GB 1866 Corsair
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR
PSU: 1200-Watt Corsair
Default 03-01-2012, 20:16 | posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
You're so full of sh*t, your eyes are brown.

You may, or may not like Bose...or maybe you just can't afford it. But that doesn't mean they don't have any substance to people who like the sound quality they produce. And they wouldn't be so big in the first place, if they didn't have quality product. They are one of the the biggest names in sound, and they didn't get there by making "no substance" product...knucklehead. Think about it.

lolumad bro? They are "one of the biggest names in sound" due to marketing and advertising. Their products are second rate, overpriced, cheap quality materials and construction. It has been analyzed and dissected thoroughly. Only a fool would pay $349 MSRP for 2.1 "computer speakers" with one-way drivers. And please, no more ad hominem attacks. Trying to compare salary and education level with me, you will get slammed.

Last edited by nikavelli; 03-01-2012 at 20:38.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Slam
Ancient Guru
 
Slam's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Processor: i7 4930K 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Memory: 16g G.SKILL TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Hiper 880W
Default 03-01-2012, 21:01 | posts: 3,114 | Location: Dallas, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikavelli View Post
lolumad bro? They are "one of the biggest names in sound" due to marketing and advertising. Their products are second rate, overpriced, cheap quality. Not audiophile grade. It's been analyzed and disected many times. Only a fool would pay $349 MSRP for 2.1 "computer speakers" with one-way drivers. And please, no more ad hominem attacks. You will get slammed trying to compare your salary and education level with me, I guarantee it.
Ah, the "superiority" complex. You must be a very insecure man, swingin' his e-peen around. Only those types would come into a thread that "had" some good discussion going on, and bash someone for buying a product that they enjoy.

News flash. You have to have some quality product to back up what you're selling at a premium price. If all they sold was sh*t product, do you REALLY think that millions of people would continue to buy their product at a premium price? No, they wouldnt. Most people are smart enough to know whether something sounds good to "them", or not. It's personal preference.

A product is worth whatever the customer is willing to pay for it. I listened to a lot of different speaker systems that were setup for demo, and I liked the tone and bass response of the Bose system. I preferred it, I wanted it, I bought it. If I'm a "chump" for buying something that I really enjoy...then I'll wear that label with pride. But I have to ask, who the hell are you to assign that label to people?

And judging by your specs, you definitely don't spend your superior salary on pc parts. And your response to that would be something along the lines of..."I'm happy with what I've got. It does everything I want it to do." My response would be..."So does my Bose system."

Fair enough?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
F1refly
Ancient Guru
 
F1refly's Avatar
 
Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 03-01-2012, 20:24 | posts: 8,828 | Location: Indiana

Technically what Bose does is color the sound ,but is quite inaccurate. Its well known about their inability to pass the standard THX tests. Just simply visit any audiophile forum such as AVS and they'll explain far better why they never use them than I can.
They spend a ton of money on marketing, you can sell anything with good marketing. It only costs $135 in parts to build the Acoustimass 10 series that they charge a grand for example.

this link will provide some better insights
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Klipsche got bought bout by Audiovox, they use much cheaper parts now. Their nothing like they used to be. But when you get into the small speaker world, the main differences is how they color the sound. just use an Oscilloscope


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
You're so full of sh*t, your eyes are brown.

You may, or may not like Bose...or maybe you just can't afford it. But that doesn't mean they don't have any substance to people who like the sound quality they produce. And they wouldn't be so big in the first place, if they didn't have quality product. They are one of the the biggest names in sound, and they didn't get there by making "no substance" product...knucklehead. Think about it.

Price has nothing to do with anything. Although that in itself is often a marketing gimmick. The mentality that higher price must mean its better quality is used for those who are not knowledgable about the product...this is used in everything from Kraft macaroni n cheese to roofing materials. Even lay's potato chips have alternative brands far cheaper that are just as good...think about it "knucklehead"
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.