Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Dunno whats wrong with my Computer
Old
  (#1)
Jacastto

Videocard: Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
Processor: Q9650 @ stock
Mainboard: Asus P5Q SE/R
Memory: 2x2GB Kingston 800MhzDDR2
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Azza Titan 850W
Exclamation Dunno whats wrong with my Computer - 03-22-2009, 11:50 | posts: 32 | Location: Australia

My computer recently died on me, and although i am going to get a new one soon, i would like to have a go a fixing it, because it is still a decent computer and i may yet be able to sell it.

It had been having trouble starting up and sometimes resets for no reason, which i put down to the power supply, but recently it has been having other errors.

when i turn it on, sometimes it just wont boot (which is again probably the power supply) but then sometmes when it does manage to boot it gets to the windows loading stage and then i get a strange pixelation all over the screen and it wont load any further.

Im not sure if it is still because of the power supply or (because of the pixelation) a video card problem or even a HDD issue. It is an old machine from about 2002. should i even bother or just let it go?

Thanks for your help.

Jacastto

Old
  (#2)
Freakazoid81

Videocard: Zotac GTX480
Processor: q6600 @ 3.2
Mainboard: e680i SLI
Memory: 4 GB OCZ
Soundcard: x-fi xmusic
PSU: ocz z1000
Default 03-22-2009, 12:14 | posts: 43 | Location: Germany

i wouldn't start the pc again until the psu is replaced. psu failures can cause all probs u described and many more

Old
  (#3)
Jacastto

Default 03-25-2009, 09:46 | posts: 32 | Location: Australia

can i remove anything or unplug/take out something so that it still works without replacing the PSU

Old
  (#4)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 03-25-2009, 10:28 | posts: 11,394 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacastto View Post
My computer recently died on me, and although i am going to get a new one soon, i would like to have a go a fixing it, because it is still a decent computer and i may yet be able to sell it.

It had been having trouble starting up and sometimes resets for no reason, which i put down to the power supply, but recently it has been having other errors.

when i turn it on, sometimes it just wont boot (which is again probably the power supply) but then sometmes when it does manage to boot it gets to the windows loading stage and then i get a strange pixelation all over the screen and it wont load any further.

Im not sure if it is still because of the power supply or (because of the pixelation) a video card problem or even a HDD issue. It is an old machine from about 2002. should i even bother or just let it go?

Thanks for your help.

Jacastto
If you want to fix it, then it is a process of elimination my friend. Start with the PSU, any burning smells? Can you test with another PSU or alternatively try all the removable hardware on another system. Once you know they are working you can rule them out!

Old
  (#5)
Omagana
Maha Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 780
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X 7.1
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 03-25-2009, 11:27 | posts: 2,332 | Location: Scotland

You mention the PSU like 3 times, which makes me wonder have you had known problems with this PSU before?

Old
  (#6)
viren
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 570
Processor: I7 870
Mainboard: P55
Memory: 4GB
Soundcard: 7.1 PCI-E
PSU: 800W
Default 03-25-2009, 11:23 | posts: 2,360 | Location: Pune, India

Before actually replacing your psu try one of your friends psu. This way you would know that it a psu issue only. Although it seems more like a psu problem.

Old
  (#7)
Jacastto

Default 03-27-2009, 06:43 | posts: 32 | Location: Australia

i have had problems with the psu before but these problems are not quite the same. it seems like the psu is probably the problem but ill try the other parts in another PC when i get my new one anyway. Thanks for your help

Jacastto

Old
  (#8)
dune2
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Geforce 680 GTX Aqua
Processor: i7 3770
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE
Memory: 2x 4GB Dominator CL8
Soundcard: Mobo Sound
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 03-27-2009, 11:29 | posts: 3,380 | Location: Old Europe

PSU is a very possible culprit, so if you plan to purchase new stuff anyway, one option would be to just buy a PSU now and use it again later in the new rig. Before you do that though, check if heat could be an issue. Open your PC and make sure that all fans, especially the PSU fan, are spinning when you push the power button. If they do, cut power completely and make sure that all cables from the PSU are fully in place. Then disconnect everything you don't need, such as dvd-drives, 2nd memory stick, sound card, extra hdds, and see if the computer start up correctly. If it does, it means that the PSU can't handle the total load. One final possibility (but less likely) is that your ram sticks are failing. That wouldn't really account for the garbled colors, but if you have nothing else to do, try running the system with just one ram stick at a time and see if that makes the system stable. If one of the ram sticks is dodgy, get a new pair. Memory is cheap these days!

Tags
broken, problem hardware, problems, psu