Chipmaker Marvell Fined $1.169 billion in patent case

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That's weird.

Lets consider that progress really began hand-in-hand with the adoption of patents. Without them, there is not nearly so much reason to be the one who forks out for the research, given that, once completed, anyone can take your design and sell it for the same price.

But that's fine, you're something like 10 years old, and the understanding of such things will come in time.

The problem isn't that patents are bad, it's that the government body in the US is atrocious and doesn't bother to look at prior arts, or require there be an existing prototype or implementation. It allows for obscure details. That's what needs to end, not patents themselves.

Very few, serious, people, believe that patenting, itself, is a bad thing. Just the current implementation of it allows for too much obscurity.

3. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Yes I am 10 years old and an IT expert with a degree in airplane mechanics.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That's pretty amazing.

5. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    Patent and copyright laws in this country are the cause of stagnation and have been blocking and retarding advancement for a long time now.

the US patent office will give a patent for anything, apple just got one for curved glass.....(not kidding) as well as for simcard latches....

Disney has managed to extend copyright to protect sheet like steamboat mickey.....
    they are hard at getting it extended again so in effect it will never end...

copyrights and patents where ment to be for the good of the public/citizens of this country, they where to encourage advancement and development for the benefit of society by giving invendors/creators a limited monopoly for a limited time, this is nolonger true, and nolonger serves the intended purpose, the only fix i see is to abolish them and start over because you CANT fix the system in place, the IP maximilists wont let it be fixed.....they want perpetual monopoly on anything and everything.....

read the history of these IP laws in the states to understand why I and many others say they are serving the opposite of their intended goal.

6. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    what or who determines the payouts now. Seems only a few years ago suits like this were awarded in the hundreds millions. Now its in the billion at minimum. Whats one or two billion nowadays anyway ... according to my government.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I know this post of yours is a little old but I think you're missing the point of why patents are a problem. They were originally made to encourage innovation because it would protect inventors from having their ideas stolen. But the problem with patents today is companies like Apple find holes in the law system and are able to patent ridiculous things, most of which they didn't invent or don't even use. The problem with CM vs. Marvell is unless Marvell honestly didn't know of CM's patent, CM must have intentionally denied the use of their patent. But why? What does CM gain by inventing and patenting a technology just so nobody else is allowed to use it? They're not going to mass produce these chips themselves. I can understand why Apple would do such a thing but a university?

Also, suppose Marvell wasn't aware of the patent. Based on how the article was written, it seems implied that CM was aware of Marvells actions for a while now and therefore didn't even post a warning - they just waited for Marvell to breach that last violation just so they could file a ridiculous lawsuit. There is no perspective of this that doesn't make CM look like a bunch of *******s.