Chipset Drivers

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Jeremy, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    a

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Anyone? This problem is bugging me.:bolt:

3. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    the computer will run w/o chipset drivers. however, chipset drivers tells your computer how to run a lot of the components on your motherboard, such as agp slot, usb, memory bus, pci bus etc. your computer performance will decrease if chipset drivers are not installed.

what screen corruption are you talking about?

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hi,

When I install chipset drivers or SP2 for XP my screen gets corrupted. Also when I try to boot into Safe mode it freezes on agp440.sys. Disable this service and everything runs fine. I have talked to Gigabyte and they can't find a solution. I might have to return my motherboard for warranty.

Thanks

5. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    It does sound like you have a hardware issue. SP2 has a generic, universal AGP driver so that explains why it crashes the same as installing chipset drivers.

If you have another video card handy, I would try that first before RMA'ing the board.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have tried another video card and recently purchased a new one so that isn't the problem. I will RMA the board tommorow.

Cheers

7. Sapart

Sapart Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7600GS 256MB
    From MS: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764
    „CAUSE
    This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible video driver during startup.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, disable the Agp440.sys service“
    But people have reported it didn’t work. You may need to update your mobo bios (someone said agp440.sys is a bios driver for AGP). Many people had same problem with agp440.sys after installing SP2 and here are suggested solutions: http://ianwij.com/weblog/archive/2004/02/01/Windows_XP_hang_loading_agp440sys.aspx
    Or install older Intel chipset driver, newer ones are for win with the latest SP, some people are still running WinXP+SP1.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006