The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I'm very interested in Ram too, Brand, Speed. What you guys are using if you don't mind. Just schooling myself here, been checking out MB's ect. Can't wait for reviews ect. to start popping up.

2. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    Not sure if you mentioned it here BUT the Asus CH6 has both AM4 and AM3 mounts so any AM3 cooler will fit....just dug out mine for ol h110 faithful.
    I also am getting a 1800x and CH6(really glad i picked this as i saved a pile on cooling) teamed with the corsair 3200 DDR4 i,m running with this craptel :) oh and the fury x so AMD all the way

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm happy for you OnnA , finally your ultimate dream it's becoming reality ! Good times ahead ...

Awesome , please do share your overclocks , findings and results. Good vibes ...

We will keep updating this tread as we get more information on a daily basis so please stay tuned in. As for the Ram i will be using this 2x8GB kit
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C15D-16GVR ( DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) ,Timing 15-15-15-35 ,Cas Latency 15 , Voltage 1.35V
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232233

Thank you for the heads up , i totally forgot to make a post about it , yes indeed Asus Crosshair Hero Vl has both AM4 and AM3 mounting holes so any AM3 cooler will fit ( Icing on the cake ). We got the same hardware configuration x1800 + CH6 , also do not forget to post your results , findings and overclocks on this tread once you get your built done !

I found the picture i was looking for :D , here:

** ASUS Republic of Gamers Announcement**

''Attention AM3 users! ROG Crosshair VI Hero features AM3 mounting holes for backwards compatibility with existing AM3 coolers and LN2 pots!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

GreaT times ahead ... Indeed :banana:

So i need Hero VI then... hmm OK (i wish there was Sabertooth on launch lol)

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks for heads up on those mounting holes, may have just decided for me because I want to reuse my XSPC, it works good to. I mean I really was leaning to a ASRock, the 1 I have now has been hiccup free, not 1 problem. But can't go wrong with the ASUS either more than likely with mount I'll go ASUS.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ! ! ! S t i c k y ! ! !

Thanks for this thread chispy, it's good to see you're back in OC action. Going to visit this thread on daily basis, few times per day at least to suck up all needed knowlege before I pull the trigger and go with Ryzen. Good job dude!

More than 10 years with Intel here on my side, since C2D E6400 era, mostly because of OC & IPC performance. Considering the fact that I don't game for about 2.5 years my curent OCed rigs are still doing just fine (920 C0 @ 4.2 HT; 2600K @ 4.6 HT; X5670 @ 4.5 HT & X5675 @ 4.65 HT winter / @ 4.6 HT summer) for my personal needs some will say that I don't have the real reason for upgrade. But when I look back how AMD is struggling hard in past decade to offer something close to Intel in high-end segment and after all these years Ryzen could finally match Intel's i7 generation this upgrade bug of mine is starting to itchy my brain so hard, I almost had no sleep last night because of it lol, it's sunday ffs and I'm fully awake since 6am!

Last time when I was on AMD because of OC it was in gloriuos era of unlocked K7 Barton CPUs and Abit NF7 series Socket A mobos, geez like it was eons ago. Now (really hope so) AMD is going strong again with Ryzen and again I'm tempted to go with red team again, but sadly atm on my side there is a catch :(

This winter I've decited to put some cash on the side to finally send my trusty motorcycle for repair, 2 days ago finally I've pushed it 1.5Km to local repair shop, it was a full suny day, 1pm and sick as a street dog I was sweaty to my bones: fewer, hot sunny day and more than 150Kg bike pushing it 1.5Km mostly uphill, at the end of the "trip" I was red hot, more than Angry Crab :D I can smell spring in the air, my boys and daughter are geting older, hell me and my lady aren't geting younger and we almost forgot how much fun we've had on that bike. Really don't know how much repair is going to cost me but guess it's gonna be between (hope so) 500-600€ range up to (really afraid of) 800€, or maybe (wife is gonna kill me) 1200€ range. Few days from now repair shop will call me about estimated repair costs, really don't know what to expect but I have a strong feeling that next few months I'm gonna spend in front of kitchen sink acting like a fully automated dish washing machine :D thanks to my belowed wife, nope: thanks to myself :(

Unlike AMD's failed attempt with Bulldozer (thank God I've gone with 2600K backthen, something from above told me not to buy FX-8xxx series) now I have a strong feeling AMD is on the right track and Rizen is going to be a bullseye both for mainstream and for entusuast OCers. Although I don't expect IPC to be on Kaby's level, somewhere near Kaby minus 5 to 10% is reasonable to expect clock-per-clock. But with, reasonable to expect, OC somewhere between 4.3 and 4.5GHz these 8C/16T and 6T/12T Rysens are going to fly. Hope Ryzens aren't going to dissapoint me both on OC and IPC field, hell even on BCLK OC field I'm expecting something, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO FIDDLE WITH BCLK OC AGAIN, last time when it BCLK OC was fun it was on X58/1366!

Sadly be no Ryzen upgrade for me at least for few more months, family summer vacation costs also are going to suck up some more money on my side so probably September 2017 at best is my target date to open my wallet and finally support AMD again on CPU field. Till then I'm gonna visit this thread every day, drool over your Ryzen setups and wait autmn to come so that I could join you guys. Prices are going to drop till then, BIOSes are going to mature, more mobos for sure... Sadly, but here were I am local importers are ripping our skin with IT prices in past decade or so, prices are 10-30% higher than most EU countries, on the top of that monthly salaries are few times lower than the rest of EU :bang: Boy, I'm living in totaly IT unfriendly country :(

Till then enjoy you new Ryzen rigs gurus, I hope they're going to fulfill all your expectations, cheers!

P.S.
    Good to know about Asus ROG Chrosshair IV HERO mounting holes compatibillity with AM3 cooler base, wish more mobo manufacturers were doing the same, even more entusiast users with AM3/AM3+ setups would be willing to jump into Ryzen bandwagon reusing their curent CPU cooling solutions.

Mods, sticky on this thread please!

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you CrazY_Milojko for the kind words. I hope it would get sticky as i want to share the knowledge and give back to the community the best way i can with what i know and love doing.

**Updated**

Added disclaimer , added utilities and software , added new Bios.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I know it's been said earlier that Ryzen CPUs i.e. complete Ryzen platform will be supported both on W7 and W10, but it's kinda weird at least that W8.1 is excluded on this list for some reason. Maybe because of M$ pulled of W8.1 licences from the market earlier, don't know really, just guessing, but here in my country for example retail W8.1 licences still can be bought almost everywhere and guess it's the same in the rest of the world. Atm most of my home rigs are on Win8.1, at office its W7 SP1, but I would like to reuse those W8.1 retail licences on my home rigs one day when I switch curent CPUs and mobos for Ryzen ones and use them for some time before one day finaly jump into W10 bandwagon I guess, don't see a single reason to do that atm. But when I see manufacturers like Gigabyte, Biostar and MSI doesn't even list chipset drivers for Win8.1 (but W7 and W10 chipset drivers are there for downoad) I'm a bit worried about this. But ASRock is listing drivers for Win8.1 and nothing is missing there, drivers for W7, W8.1 and W10 are there, why other manufacturers are acting like W8.1 doesn't exist!? For Asus there's nothing except BIOS in download section for Hero, guess they're going to publish W8.1 drivers same day both for W7, 8.1 and 10.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have noticed that most of the products support webpages are not compleate 100% , a lot of stuff it's missing but i expect this to be updated before the NDA is lifted in ~48 hours time, I hope you get your OS W8.1 supported my friend.

*** Updated the first page ***

" Updated cooling options and compatibility , updated software links. "

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Placed order with Amazon before noon on Feb. 22nd. No dice. They apologized for not having enough stock of both the 1700X and the Prime X370-Pro. Waiting game now. Time to see if the review allows the order to stand.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Thank you for the link OnnA :)

Same here i place two orders at two different online retailers with same hardware ( Asus CH 6 hero and R7 x1800 ). One at newegg.com and i'm mad as hell as they told me i have to wait until March 9 , 2017 or later because they have not received their Asus boards yet and also they sold too many R7 x1800 and it is in backorder :/ , same story with Amazon they apologize to me and told me they could not give me an accurate day of shipping because they don't have any stock available eventhought i'm 100% sure i was one of the first one on the net to make the pre-order instantly when they went live and ready to take pre-order :confused:

As of right now i do not know when i will be getting my mobo and cpu , it's all in the air and in limbo ...:infinity:

** I have just ordered from newegg a BIOSTAR X370GT5 AM4 AMD X370 and a R7 x1700 with next day shipping , so in a couple of days most likely i will be doing a small write up on how things work with Ryzen overclocking and memory related write up , until my Asus CH 6 hero and R7 x1800 gets here **

*** Updated most of the Motherboard Bios , link to hwbot to Elmor's ROG Crosshair VI series ( Overclocking tread ) ( Jon aka Elmor = Asus Overclocking legend and engineer at Asus HQ )

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not want to jinx order. Kept hammering for an answer as to why the order did not ship. :question: The resulting deal offered was to good to pass up. So it really did not matter how the review would turn out. When the order ships and is delivered, will divulge more. :)

All I have to stare at is a lonely cooler. Such trials and tribulations. Life is rough.

***they can be worse than a steamy soft yielding pile but have really surprised me lately: at the holidays and now***

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    My RX 1700X shipped from Newegg yesterday and is due to arrive at my door tomorrow. I got a notification late today that my Biostar x370GT7 has shipped as well, but with the weekend coming up, it isn't likely to arrive until next Tuesday (I'm hoping for Monday as a realistic date).

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The X370 Fatal!ty Professional Gaming has 16 phases, the Fatal!ty Professional Gaming K4 has 12. Looks like the Gaming K4 is targetting those that want value as well as optimised bios without all the fancy stuff.

There is probably one thing that the Gaming K4 is missing, and that is the Clear CMOS button on the back panel, although I must admit this is a little redundant with another feature that Asrock boards have had for a long time, including my current Asrock Z77 Extreme6. That feature is boot failure guard. Basically if you computer fails to boot 3 times as standard (configurable on mine), then the default CMOS settings are loaded. This is great and allows get back into the bios without having to press the CLR CMOS button at the back, something that the Extreme6 also has. The alternative otherwise would be to unplug the power, open the case, apply the CLR CMOS jumper, etc, and go from there.

However, I have noticed that no Asrock AM4 boards mention boot failure guard at all in the literature or the online manuals. Is it not available on these boards, or is it just an automatic feature now? Even the Z270 boards mentions it and allows you to enable or disable it in the bios. The CLR CMOS switches are only available on the Fatal!ty Professional and Taichi, none of the other boards have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
  18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Great idea with this thread.

On my "waiting list" (due to inavailablity at the store where i want to buy it):

R7 1700

Ordered & arriving March 6th:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/

Considering RAM, i got some 8G lying around but I think I'll get the G.SKILL Flare X Kit.

Depending on when the 1700 arrives I'll post some Linux server benchmarks here. Basically some standard Gentoo compile times, maybe a RAID rebuild, we'll see. Just some stuff that wasn't covered in the major tests yet.
    Actually...maybe I'll test games on NT first :nerd:

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I will be interested in seeing your views, especially someone with a 6700k. Personally still hanging on the fence, unsure of my upgrade path. Will give it another 2-3 months for the dust to settle and hopefully some clarity.

20. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    Hey guys, I bought an 1800x and Asus prime-x370-pro yesterday on launch day from Microcenter, and the prime x370 pro isn't compatible with the RAM I had (2x16GB DDR4-3200MHz 1.35v Gskill), so I had to go back today and grab a temporary 1x8GB stick just to get it to POST.

What's everyone running in terms of RAM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.