Another which Ryzen to buy

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by germz1986, May 27, 2017.

1. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Hey all, I had an older intel system.
    Xeon X5670 @ 4.4ghz
    DDR3 @ 1600 7-8-7
    GTX 970

I am wanting to go Ryzen, but I am undecided on whether to buy a 1600x or a 1700/x.

I have a new 4k monitor, and use the pc for:
    Netflix/Hulu/Youtubes
    Browsing
    Gaming (Diablo3, Forza Horizon 3, and some others,) FH3 is the most demanding game i play currently

I multitask a bit, always have a browser open with couple of tabs on 2nd monitor while gaming.

The 6 core xeon was usually enough for this, except for FH3, and honestly the 970 doesnt cut it for that game @4k either. But gfx upgrade will wait until Pascal2

So....Which Ryzen do I buy, I will likely hold onto the system 4+ years.
    I WILL be ocing the cpu, I have an open loop with a tripple 120 rad and a MCP655 pump. Will be buying an EK supremacy EVO for the AMD chip.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    1700 and good cooler. OC it if more power needed. 8 cores should be minimum for your upgrade.

AMD will release Ryzen 9 soon with even more cores.

I would strongly recommend to wait and see how ryzen 9 plays out. 10 / 12 cores might be more appealing for you.

3. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Reporting Back,

I ended up getting the 1600x, waifu said since shes going to need a new pc next year I should get the 1600x. I'll pass that onto her and get Ryzen 2.

I am quite surprised how fast this machine is compared to my x5670 @ 4.4ghz, considering I havent oc'd the ryzen yet.

While playing D3 @ 4k. My FPS is far more stable than with the aging xeon.

It handles all the multi-tasking that I do w/o issue.

I wish AMD had waited a quarter to release ryzen though. Teething issues....
    The mainboard is slower to post than my X58 would, also unable to install windows on Raid 0 setup. Had to leave my ssd's in ahci to install windows. Hopefully that will get sorted out soon.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

For performance mode RAID at least, it would make more sense to use M2 NVME SSD now. Theere is a major update coming shortly bios wise (all Ryzen bioses), hopefully it will boot quicker for you with it, as well as being able (hopefully) to edge more performance.