Laptop shipments fell over 20 percent in April

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DigiTimes reports shipments of the global top 5 notebook brands saw a decline of over 20 percent in April, and that all Taiwanese notebook ODMs suffered double-digit percentage drops in April shipment...

Laptop shipments fell over 20 percent in April

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Laptops are cool, i'd really like one, one that could max say bioshock infinite and i'd be well happy.
    Trouble is they're way overpriced cause they outdate real quick, but sure if i ever get my credit inline ever again i'd get a lappy way before any tab (though i do like android phones sure (i'd like to upgrade to s4).
    Hope the same doesn't happen with gaming hardware, if nvidia prices the 700 series high enough for example then there's a chance imo.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Unusual shipments have dropped.

As far as I know, most people buy laptops/netbooks instead of desktop pc's due to portability, size & weight...

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    And to heat up their lap, cuz that's all they are good for ^^

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    The 17" Laptop here is basically a portable desktop replacement, ridiculously heavy and bulky. I never use it, because I've hated typing/gaming on laptops ever since uni.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had 2 Dell m6500 workstations which were proper gaming laptops with i7 cpu and quadro gpu in each-12gb ram in each etc.

I sold both even though they were powerful gaming on a laptop is like gaming on a tablet. Its ok for 5 minutes then you realise how **** it is compared to tower based pc with keyboard, Desk, confy chair and nice big screen.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No one buys netbooks. Portability/size/weight are all outclassed by tablets and phones, which is what everyone is buying.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have a desktop PC and an iPad 4 so I have absolutely no need for a laptop and likely never will. An iPad 4 is just far more convenient to use for browsing, watching YouTube and reading magazines and if I need access to Windows then I have my desktop PC.

9. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    ^ lol, you have somebody who games on a laptop here. I switched to a laptop as my work requires me to be on the go, so I had little time to use my desktop (its collecting dust right now). It's a 14", so portability isn't an issue, and while I'm not gaming at an ultra high resolution, 720p suffices for the screen.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I've always hated laptops. Keyboards are cramped, and the computer itself feels slow. It always seems like they manage to become sh!t after about a year too... I don't know if that's heat or just me.

11. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    I would probably attribute it to heat, especially with the 3rd gen Cores on laptops, they run crazy hot (even with a cooler and sitting in an air-conditioned room, I've seen my CPU temps hit 80 degrees, but then again could be due to Turbo Boost). At least my GPU runs cool enough, max I've ever seen it hit is 71 degrees, cooler than my desktop's HD5850 at least.

Also some laptops have pretty decent layouts; for instance some laptops place the hard-drive and the ram sticks away from the CPU and GPU (mine are located right under the track-pad)

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    They don't have to be slow. You've just used slow ones.

Unfortunately, most laptops come with slow, 5400rpm drives. This is almost always the speed issue.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Probably both. :p

But really, I had to replace the gunk they call 'thermal paste' over at Sony with Gelid GC Extreme in order to get my laptop around 10C cooler on full load.
    Not to mention the factory-applied paste was more than needed, and so kept most of the heat instead of helping to transfer it over to the heatsink.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You're probably right :nerd: I just can't justify spending a grand on a laptop when I could get a bitchin desktop for a grand.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yeah, but you don't get to bring that bitchin' desktop anywhere else easily. =b
    (also the cables woo!)

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    True, the computer shop i am working in sells a 1/4 volume comparing with what we sold last year in the same period of the year.
    More,RMA are higher than ever,crappy laptops and crappy tablets.

17. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Gonna spend a bitchin 2 grand into a new laptop to help the situation.

18. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    It could be because some people like myself are waiting for Haswell. I'm planning to upgrade from an Eee PC to an ultrabook for traveling, and as Haswell is just around the corner, I'm waiting for that. Although a tablet would be more portable, I can do more with an ultrabook and is better suited to my needs.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Or, connect the laptop up to the equivalent pc tower stuff and sit on a desk, comfy chair whatever.

Just because a laptop can be portable doesn't mean you have to use it as such, I don't sit everyday with mines on my lap (which it doesn't burn by the way), it sits on a tv stand and connects to the tv.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm fine with my Laptop, works good for work, which is all it's capable of. Pentium 4 Thinkpad. Can't upgrade the GPU, no SSD (40 GB IDE drive), 2 GB DDR RAM. Slow, but indestructible.