Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Win8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Jonbajo, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    I have Win7 installed on a 120g ssd. I want to upgrade to windows 8. If I want to revert to Win7 after trying 8, what's the best way to save all of my software/music/files/etc AND my installation of Win7 (before installing 8, of course)?

Acronis True Image? EaseUS todo Backup free?

Here's where my confusion lies: Would I need a disk backup? or a Windows backup? data backup? hard drive backup?

2. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Guest

GPU:
    HD5770
    I guess it depends on what you want to preserve. It also depends which program you use to do it... You probably don`t need to backup the whole drive since Im pressuming you are not going to format. Id just make sure that when I backup Windows data Id tick the registry box aswell, that way all your programs / games will be playable as if nothing ever happened if you ever revert...

Not sure if "users" folder is considered as a Windows backup so I suggest you just copy paste it somewhere (my documents, appdata, pictures - its all in the users folder) :)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I use Acronis.
    Test the backup on a spare drive before you delete/upgrade Windows 7.

4. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    windows back up good too i back up whole c drive

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Windows backup also backs up other drives that are used to install things and wont let me deselect them!
    When it sees that I have installed anything on a drive, it will backup that drive as well.
    After installing my first few games I tried to backup just the OS drive with Windows backup and the backup was HUGE because of this.
    Thats when I went back to Acronis.