Blank screenshots of background applications are captured

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by 0458315753, Jul 12, 2017.

1. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Quite often blank screenshots of background programs are saved when I take screenshots of a game, it appears that game screenshots can be replaced with these corrupt images. The size is commonly 1x1, 69 bytes. Captured images have a shape of a black square.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The issue occurs on MSI Afterburner 4.2.0/4.3.0 with Rivatuner 6.4.0/7.0.0 beta 19 (and potentially with other versions) on Windows 10 and Windows 8.
    one blank screenshot (69 bytes) as an example: https://i.imgur.com/P5Wun3E.png

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah it's doing that thing where it's capturing other detected processes that are in the background, you can press the "i" button in MSI Afterburner and the info window will have a list of currently running detected processes, you will want to set a exception for those via Rivatuner to set it to not monitor them. :)

I just took one of the ProfileTemplate config files for this and then it's just a matter of copy/paste to block whatever exe or other file needs it, profile itself is pretty simple.

IE:

C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\SplashScreen.exe.cfg

Code:
    [Hooking]
    EnableHooking		= 0

And that's it, going by your images it would be something with NordVPNClient and JavaW so a VPN software of some kind and then Java.

EDIT: Could have sworn Java had a existing profile already but I just checked and it does not (JavaW.exe.cfg or what it would be.) guessing it would interfere with actual Java games such as Minecraft if it were to be blocked by default.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Hooking can also be disabled by setting "application detection level" to "none" in RT application profiles. I'm fairly sure that I've done this exact process for problematic apps in the past, but they were still captured. I will try again and report back on the advanced discussion forum if the issue persists.
    Is there a way to globally disable detection for background programs? Why they are captured in the first place and is this a bug?

4. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Background applications that are commonly captured:

- Java Runtime Environment (javaw.exe)
    - GOG Galaxy (GalaxyClient Helper.exe)
    - Blizzard app (Battle.net Helper.exe)

The last two are background processes launched by their respective programs. I've excluded NordVPN client as I haven't had it installed in a long time.