AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2013.

1. trajan2448

trajan2448 Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    AMD revenue down 29%

Its all about revenue. The profits from gaming console GPU are very small, in the 10-15 dollar region. Its not enough to keep AMD from shrinking if they don't improve other revenue streams.

2. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Future is bleak for AMD. Consoles will help it sell more chips but i believe they will not earn much money as it is obvious that they had to push the price for chips down a lot to get into that business. Its a pity. Would like to see some competition in CPU&GPU to lower the prices. Seems its still Intel/Nvidia for enthusiasts for next year..

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nope they will go second again, but I think 3rd is where they will. The rate that the S3 sold and the S4 is looking set to beat that as well! Samsung will stay around for a while longer. I don't see as many people as you think instantly adopting to the new consoles at launch. Sure they WILL be the hottest things this Christmas and sell tons. However, I think people are a lot more cautious when it comes to money now and you might see a lot of people buying second hand 360's, PS3's, DS's, or simply sticking with the tablet route.

Don't forget they are not just doing the GPU but the CPU as well as they are basically supplying BOTH Sony and Microsoft with an APU to maximize performance but keep costs low. They are also supplying a GPU to Nintendo for the Wii U.

They need to push more for the notebook, netbook, and ultrabook markets. I STILL see Intel ad's everywhere I go for these devices. If they can also get into the tablet market with one of those APU's and still keep price down, and still keep performance up, and power consumption down too they will make it big.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  4. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    So demand for AMDs is so low in your town? Or it's just retailers who thinks so?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow, this thread went way off topic.....

That chart is skewed to make it appear as Samsung has more market share than they really do. AMD is actually in 3rd....not 4th. IC Insights combined the market share of Apple and Samsung to make it look like Samsung has more market share than they really do.

You're wrong.... ARM is RISC based...which is less capable than x86, which is CISC. RISC is great for simple operations and easily outperforms equivalent CISC processors. However, in complex operations, RISC processors are generally slower due to a need to process more instructions to reach the same result.