Guru3D - Radeon HD 4870 review

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 27, 2008.

1. hzahid

hzahid Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6790
    Great Review + Great GPU FTW ATI all the way

atlast nvidia :biggun: by ati :banana:

2. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Wooott!!!!!! We Are Back And Leading The Pack! About Friggin Time! Wwooooootttttttt!!!!!!

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Awesome review, Hilbert! Good to see all this ATi lovin' right now.......as for the guy asking about 1GB DDR5 version of the 4870, I believe it's forth coming, but at around August IIRC. Personally, I'm waiting to score a pair of 4870 X2's (or, at the very least, 4870 X2 + 4870)myself for some CFX goodness.

4. Schepsel

Schepsel Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX VEGA 64
    And I was even considering buying an Nvidia card... I think I'll stick to ATI for the time being. Why buy a $500 card when it's obsolete 6 months later... spend €400 on my 3870 crossfire setup and just sold them for €180 + €60 = HD4870 :) I love the price/performance game ATI/AMD is in. Think they are doing a great job. Thanks for another great review again!

5. Gucci

Gucci Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Im so going to crossfire 2 of these babies, or atleast a HD4870 and HD4850. I think the performance loss will be minimal vs HD4870X2 ...

Who wants to bet? :)

6. pulasky

pulasky Banned

Yes great """""review"""""" where the f*** is my reply.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alright, that's enough from you. Say goodbye to everyone.

8. Regve

Regve New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    Hello, great review as always!

Only one question: How did you benchmark Mass Effect? Do you have some nice console commands or are you using Fraps?

Because I also have a thing for this game and wanted to find the fastest drivers for it :)

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hi ! There is no (known) way to fire off a timedemo in Mass Effect. We indeed use fraps, then run three sequences and average the results of the three runs.

10. jeryslo

jeryslo Member Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi!

I just want to know why are you using only medium in Crysis? I think there would be a lot more diffrence beetwen cards on high settings.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hi,

Once Crysis was released we made the choice to measure at medium quality settings as pretty much not one card could render good at a higher IQ settings, so most people will use that setting. 90% the people have a card that forces them to that preference.

Though if you look at the crysis results in this test, you'll notice I also included a test at Very High image quality settings. It a matter of making choices, anyone what to see something specific. We just need to make choices time wise. And at this time it's medium IQ and very high IQ.

None the less, I just quickly benched at High for you, in combo with 4xAA:

RV770 - 4870:

10x7 : 36
    12x10: 36
    16x12: 28
    19x12: 24
    25x16: 4

12. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    So its comparable to other cards I.E those in the lower end.

13. jeryslo

jeryslo Member Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Wow, I am definetly buying this card, with 7900GT I am strugling at 1024*768 all medium. With 4870 I will finally be able to play at 1680*1050 with high settings and AA. Just one more question, what's the diffrence in preformance with 2xAA and 4xAA. From what I have seen this new ATI cards can handle AA superb.

14. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    Hilbert m8 ive got the 4870 but having probs with grid,when you go into it you get some stuttering did you see any of that when testing,its funny because you get stuttering in grid but when you start racing it goes,grid is at 1900/1200,cheers m8 for the review aswell,p.s this is the only 1 games that does it,

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Wow! Simply....wow!

16. Mochen

Mochen Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 OCX
    Great review once again! hats off to you Hilbert, probably the most in depth review on the net :)
    I'm definitely switching back to ATI this time, been wanting to do so since my old x1900gt as I always found the IQ better on ATI cards for some reason, also the ATI girl is wayyyy hotter than the nvidia one :banana:

17. Regve

Regve New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    Ahh, okey, thanks

18. !nT3n$iv3

!nT3n$iv3 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTOC2 512MB
    Gr8 Review Hilbert
    By the way when will you upgrade the Vga Charts with all the new Cards .
    And Is Asus a Pre-Overclocked Card or it is a basic:3eyes:

19. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    All the cards as of Now are basic there are no OC'd retail 4870's right now. Oh and Just so all of you know. I got mine from Tigerdirect . NewEgg had them to But as of last Night All gone. AND THIS THING IS SWEET!!!!!!!:banana::biggun:

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Great REview Hilbert, another fine job

Any chance of adding a quick update on the potential overclock when Rivatuner supports it?

I see you added extra text to the overclocking info( or did i not notice before ), anyways, would be cool if there was a link to a small article on noobs guide to gfx card overclocking, just a thought

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008