Worrying temperatures, help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by abdullah_mag, Aug 6, 2014.

1. abdullah_mag

abdullah_mag Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    I have an alienware m17x r4 with an i7 3720QM 2.6ghz

I used to get a peak of 91 degrees celcius on my cpu even under load, and usually on just one core, but lately i've been getting temps up to 97, with the average core temperature fluctuating between 88 to 94 on most cores, which is abnormal.

should i be concerned or is this normal behavior considering TJmax is 105 (vents and fan are clean)??, maybe i should just repaste??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Laptops usually get really hot, so its normal for you to see those temps, if it were my laptop id replace thermal paste on it, usually nets 10-20c.

3. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    i know laptop run hot, but when the TJ max is 105, a 5 degrees of average temperature increase under load become something worrisome.

4. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    yep like Agent suggested, just repaste the CPU and clean everything out there too like vent in/outtakes, but don't worry with my 4800MQ Oced to 3.8Ghz i get to about 95 °C too with Linpack Stress testing even clean.

5. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    that's nice n all, but i suspect my cpu may be throttling now, that's why i'm very suspicious about this new change in temps.

6. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    did you checked already the heatsink itself?

7. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    yea, and cleaned it up, and the fan.

8. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    then i guess the thermal compound got bad, if you are already did that too, check what happens if you only use the battery what happens to temps

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    If you have cleaned up the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste, then that's one reason the temperatures have risen.

10. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    well ima repaste tomorrow cuz i don't have the materials, but i pray that that'll fix everything.

11. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    no no, i cleaned the part of the heatsink that the fan blows into, not detached the processor itself.

12. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    thanks for the replies everyone, i'll update this thread after i re-paste tomorrow.

13. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    UPDATE: So I just repasted the cpu and and gpu, as well as replace thermal pads where needed, and I maybe just reduced the temps by 1 or 2 degrees.

I guess that's my normal temps now, although it doesnt stay at 94+ all the time, it just peaks at that, but normally temps fluctuate between 81 and 92 with the occasional 94~96 (these temps are while in a stress test)

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What paste did you use

15. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Also it's never gonna get that hot during normal use so I wouldn't worry about it if it tested stable at those temps. Should have got a Sager if you were worried about temps. Check out the cooling in my laptop. Thing stays pretty cool for a laptop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

16. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    i didn't do the repasting, i gave it to dell service center and they reapplied the same paste that was used when the laptop was shipped.

17. abdullah_mag

GPU:
    gtx 675m
    i can't get sager here, shipping costs would be too high, and there'd be no where i could service it.

the reason i got alienware is because it was a gift, i didn't get to choose anything.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  19. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Anything is better than the stock garbage. Silver, aluminum, diamond. I'm personally attached to Arctic Silver. I've used it in a bunch of builds including my current one. I just re-did the Arctic Silver on my old Core 2 Q9550 from 2007 and it probably didn't need new thermal paste. The paste was still fresh and semi liquid. My Sager laptop has IC Diamond thermal paste, but we'll see how long that lasts. I have some Arctic Silver ready to go for it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    that lappy cooler does indeed look very nice.