First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I don't think u understood what I mean't :p

Currently using Windows 8 (without a tool to get the start menu back!) and I prefer it over 7, since aside from the GUI, it IS a better OS.

But it seems like they're going to push this "tablet" like OS experience even further for desktop PC's with 8.1 ... wrong direction imo. Looks great for
    tablets and the like, but if they keep going like this, it probably will eventually become a piece of crap UI for a mouse user.

I hope to god I can turn that feature off that searches on the web. I don't want my PC to search on the web every effing time I type something in the start menu.

NO, I type it there because it's just (since Vista/7) simply THE fastest way of accessing an application that doesn't have an icon on the desktop or something. I don't want it to waste time searching the web, I hell I don't even wait for it to load the text I type.

CMD and bash enter instantly, cal and bash enter, ... seriously.

I don't like to waste time, people don't like to waste time. It makes people cranky.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I stand corrected. :)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Win 7 it is then.
    They didnt have to do much to get my money and recommendation, they are too pig headed though.
    I hoped MS might throw us a bone, but they arent the company I once respected.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    does the water mark stay on the desktop always for you guys?
    because when I installed 8.1, it showed the watermark and winver show expire date, but after shutdown and booting up. it doesnt show the watermark and winver doesnt show expire date. it only showed it the one time and that was it.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Always stays on the screen for me. Build 9431.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It stays. I'm really liking the preview so far.

Also. Not sure if this has been said or not, but if you upgraded to the 8.1 preview through the windows store, you'll be able to update again once 8.1 gets released. If you installed it via the iso, you'll have to do a fresh install.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I used the iso. I prefer doing a clean install.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's what I'll end up doing. I need to make an image backup of 8.1 anyways after it gets released..

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    did anybody have a problem with adobe pro x not running?

it ran once and the closed it self and wont restart. reran installer and still wouldnt run.

never had that happen before. and find it strange that it runs the first time after the window 8.1 update but not again.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    when does it get final?

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I heard it was going to rtm or what ever you want to call it was going to be august 1, like windows 8 rtm. but was push back couple weeks

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's probably RTM. Either way I'm sure it'll be out before the Black Friday deals.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    People who touch my screen die///

So having a touch screen means anyone who uses my pc will die.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That is why I am waiting for the final release as my clean Windows 8 Pro install is only five weeks old and I really don't fancy having to reinstall all my apps and non-Steam games again so soon. By the time the final version of Windows 8.1 comes out most, if not all, of the teething and driver issues should be fixed. I think it pays to be patient in this case as the improvements are nice but hardly essential.

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    What the hell did i just watch?
    ugh, i am never going to upgrade to win8 with a horrible looking OS like that.
    Win7 FTW.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It is expected to be RTM at the end of July, although if need be it will be August. This date is when it is released to manufacturers, which is generally a couple of months earlier than when it is publicly available. Windows 8.1 may be a little different though since it will supposedly be available through the store as an upgrade to Windows 8 (upgrade, not full install). It is likely this will only show once it is publicly available, however ideally you would do a fresh install with a proper Windows 8.1 ISO anyway.

By publicly available, I mean officially released and from official sources. Once it is RTM it will be available through MSDN and leaked on torrents, and this is not what I mean by publicly available!

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Went to install 8.1 on a machine and install failed when it was almost to login screen. And then Instead of letting it restore windows back. I went to use a backup I just made of the system and it was corrupted...

Now I get to wast a day reinstalling windows....

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070