Latest ATI drivers killed my crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by miffywiffy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Mystery problem with crashing and my PC...

(changed topic title)

I've tried lots of different drivers with my 5870 crossfire but in Starcraft 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 my game after a certain amount of time gets artefacts and crashes. Then I can't do anything else until I reboot my PC which makes me lead on to think it's more of an issue than the game.

I've ran Furmark for 20 mins using both cards and apart from it getting my cards to 90c, they run flawlessly with no artefacts or problems. In game I look at my temps on my keyboard and they never hit over 70c so overheating isn't a problem. They sometimes make a weird noise when the resolution is weird or under intense load like Furmark, however that is normal from my past experience.

This is getting really annoying because I need to work out the problem as I can't play the games I like anymore. I just wanna know if it's the crossfire drivers or if it is my cards and how can I find out?

Thanx.

Edit: Idle temps are 35c

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. H82LUZ

H82LUZ Member

GPU:
    2 6970`s in CrossfireX
    did you reboot the pc after you installed the 10.10s?

3. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Yeh I did but I changed the topic title now soz.

4. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    I bought about 15 ATI/AMD cards in the last two and a half years and let me tell you, their drivers are a joke. (mainly multi GPU) One month it's all good and the next time you change it something gets broken and unusable. I currently still use 4 ATI cards including two 5870s but I've totally given up on AMD and will no longer purchase their gear. I recently bought two 460s and I have no major issues and loving it...

Intel + Nvidia >>> AMD + ATI when it comes to trouble free computing and that is a fact, Jack.;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

5. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Yeah I've just been with ATI since the the 8000 was it? Then the 9800 and I think they did cards before that rage was it? Every time I went Nvidia I had the cards fail on me so I just stuck with ATI. Never had any problems with them until I decided to go crossfire for the first time. I'm just not sure if it's a driver issue or a card one.

Saying that I got the 10.10a hotfix and BFBC2 isn't crashing anymore but SC2 is still :\ Though I don't wanna speak too soon cause as soon as I restart BFBC2 will probably start crashing again.

6. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    BFBC2 and the last stable driver for me was 10.4 from April. Isn't that a joke or what...lol

7. Dragontorc

Dragontorc Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    I found 10.5 worked very well on all the games i had problems with. Now trying the 10.10a. I also have 2x5870 but never had artifacts.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well you know what to do when you get problems with your Nvidia drivers then, Integrated gfx, or get a Console ;)

To the OP, what PSU do you have, and have you tried each card on their own, and do you have a 4x Pin Molex plugged into the motherboard for the slots (as on some boards you have to plug one in if using more than one card) :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    1st. sc2 dont support crossfire yet. 2nd we need more info on your system specs than just the vid cards your using to be able to give you something more in order to help you out

10. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Dunno when playing SC2 I get the crossfire sign at the top right.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Crossfire should work with SC2 if read the release note of the 10.10a .... anyway i don't have yet the game, so i can't say yes or no ...

For the OP, Are you sure your hardware is stable, and what's your PSU ?

personnaly, if Furmark run fine, i will maybe start to watch on hardware or PSU problem.. Furmark don't use your ram or CPU but games yes ..

- Try 10.5 as it was the most stable for BC2 ....

Try use Lynx 0.64 for test your system stability, and run some 3Dmarks bench for see if they crash or no ...

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Im sure drivers was give you artefact in games and freeze .... lol ... read the post of the OP before jump on ATI do ****ty drivers .. ( you should watch the forum for Nvidia drivers and GTX460 .. i have buy one from my brother, thinking the driver will not give him trouble .. i was wrong .. i pass my time on phone or to go on his home for try fix problem he have with some games or video playback )

13. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    This is what it is doing..

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z189/slannmage/?action=view&current=MyMovie.mp4

I'll be playing fine for awhile and then suddenly it does this, though this time it happened 10 seconds after. Now it's only doing it in SC2 and BFBC2, though I obviously haven't tested every game out. It seems fine in Crysis, L4D2, Metro 2033 etc etc.

corsair 950W
    Corsair dominator 8GB DDR3 (not overclocked)
    Asus DX2 sound card
    AMD 1090 @ 4ghrz with the Asus turbo evo
    5870 crossfire
    windows 7 64

Now my graphics cards were running at 58c so they ain't overheating. Furmark ran for 20mins fine at a temp of 88-90c and prime 95 and memtest86 both passed. I also ran 3d mark and it passed but pc mark failed for some reason it wouldn't even start.

+ it done that on both 10.9 and 10.10 and 10.10a drivers, though I can't be bothered to try 10.5.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Try 10.5 in case .... i have no problem with 10.9-10.10 in BC2 but it seems some peoples still get problems or the TWL driver ( there's a thread for download it somewhere in the ati drivers section )

Try too with stock settings for your CPU, ram .... BC2 is terrible for the system and many system who are looking stable in games, crash with BC2 ...

15. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Is there anything I can test my CPU with cause I know my ram is fine and my graphics cards run furmark and 3dmark fine. I just can't get PC mark to work and wondering if I can stress test my CPU cause that is the last thing.

running folding@home and that is fine so far and cpu temp only 20c with the corsair h70

Edit:

Running OCCT but it doesn't support ATI GPU memtest cause no CUDA.

So far my CPU is doing fine at all cores 100% and temp topping out at 30c.

voltages are running smooth, though it's only been 5 mins.

Just wondering what this means....

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z189/slannmage/2010-10-24-12h42-Volt3.png

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z189/slannmage/2010-10-24-12h38-Volt3.png
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z189/slannmage/2010-10-24-12h38-Volt12.png

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z189/slannmage/2010-10-24-12h42-Volt5.png

16. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    weird thing is I disabled my crossfire now and unplugged the card but my brightness has gone down and it's all set up to full?

rofl I'm getting higher FPS in BFBC2 with one card than I did with 2

17. Dragontorc

Dragontorc Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    For the brightness issue, use restore to factory defaults, its sometimes caused by disabling crossfire.

18. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Thanx for the help I sorted the problem, nothing to do with my ATI but Asus Core unlocker was turned on and causing my system to be unstable.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Glad you got it sorted :)