Myths and Truths about PCI LATENCY

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by GODzillaSDM, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Darthb0b0

Darthb0b0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870 X2 2GB
    To John Doe:

You can safely ignore all of the currentcontrolset001 and 002 stuff. those are backups windows makes. they're used when you hit F8 and say use Last Known Good.

2. johndoe

johndoe Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor Radeon 9800XT 256MB
    ok so that leaves me with the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\Settings]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{0C5AF3E1-BADC-413D-A6E5-3D1891E4B358}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{C9F7B253-F2FB-4A2D-AE52-20544B383D6B}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ati2mtag\Device0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ati2mtag\Device1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ati2mtag\Device2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ati2mtag\Device3]

sure should i go ahead and change all of these ? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  3. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

i reckon you should leave alone and learn to use the program properly

i myself am using a 9800XT and have had no problems in setting my latency at 64 for my agp without any registry tweaks

anyone using the registry tweaks just aren't using the program right

4. johndoe

johndoe Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor Radeon 9800XT 256MB

5. skyfox

skyfox Guest

Have been using the latency tool for the last week and still can't get the settings to stick on reboot. I can read and have been following the directions to the letter. Very weird.

skyfox

6. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    I had every value set to 0 except onboard ethernet(32) or my soundcard(32) without changing anything. Pci-e system.

7. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    skyfox, please don't be offended by the following question. I am only trying to help. (i know u can read, but im not sure what u have read).

Did u checkmark the setting, "load on startup"? After changing value, do u click apply and save?

8. skyfox

skyfox Guest

Yep sure did. Been using it about 2 weeks now and what is really weird is that on a couple of those days, the settings stuck and when I rebooted it was fine. But the next day it reverts back to the original setting. Using Cat 4.10 drivers. Guess I won't worry to much about it until I update drivers. Maybe that will take care of it.

skyfox

9. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

Skyfox, this will sound weird but this is my experience:

My settings wouldn't stick also until I turned of all autostart Creative programs (for my soundcard). Then my GFX latency stuck...

The point is that it might be some kind of program that conflicts with PCIlattool2...

10. franco0

franco0 Guest

Hi,
    I've been following this thread here, and found some good advice.
    I do have 1 (maybe stupid) question:
    The selection "Load at startup" is that windows-startup or the tools startup?
    What i mean is, do i need the tool running in the background all the time? Or will settings apply the way i've set them at windows-startup?

thanx,

franco

11. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    that is a very good question. I never thought about that way. I am curious too.

Altough my gut instincts tell me, it means load at @ WINDOWS startup.

There is NO reason to have a setting that does NOT load at @ APPLICATION startup. That should be always true (to load at application startup EVERYTIME) There is no reason not to. But WINDOWS startup is legitimately optional. So theorectically it should mean @ Windows Startup.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  12. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I've read that ATI cards will continue to set their latency back to like 255 and that reg tweak you guys are looking for wont be there with an nvidia card.

Advice on this ,, IMO set only the vga controller to 128 and leave the rest alone.. For the ATI cards, do the reg tweak, and set the rest just like I said..

Reason foro the advice, I also read how setting all of the other latencys to like 32 can cause major league problems...The tool should work if you set your latencys, click apply, and then save, and make sure you check load at startup....Thats system startup,,,not the tool. Then it loads and does it's job..uses next to zero memory..but most importantly, just set your vga to like 128. cool.....good luck

13. anders128

anders128 Member

GPU:
    Gainward Geforce 6800 GT
    My problem is that this PCI Latency Tool seems not to be able to change the Latency for my videocard. At least, it does no difference whatever I put it on. I have tested everything from 0 to 248. It did no visible change for me. But after changing the PCI Latency for other devices, BF Vietnam run much smoother, although in other games the issue remains.

Is it possible that something else change my latency value? Since I have got an Nvidia card, that registry tweak can't be done for me.

14. mad_max127

mad_max127 New Member

GPU:
    GeCube X800Pro
    Hello there, interesting thread this. Can any of you experts here give advice on how I should set my latency?
    PCI Latency Tool 2.3
    Double Dawg

32 all the way? Haven't changed anything yet.
    Thx in advance ;)

15. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    im by no means an expert.

but from my experience, you should leave it alone, if you are NOT having any sound problems.

Also, i see that you are using integrated sounds. I am assuming this will not use the PCI bus, and so should not affect it.

16. mad_max127

mad_max127 New Member

GPU:
    GeCube X800Pro
    Thanks for your reply!
    Don't know if I understand the info from SiSoft Sandra correctly but there is a lot going through PCI Bus 0, and the
    AGP Bridge is set at 255.
    In some games sound stutters, in others not. Anyone with similar set up that has tested this?

17. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

the setting apply at startup just means that the latency is set at startup, the program doesn't start at all

it just means the registry key the controls it is loaded at startup

18. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    hey madmax,

go ahead and set the video to 128, apply and save it. and check apply at startup. see if that helps.

But what i found that helped MY sound "crackling/popping" problem (not stuttering) was to minimize the windows startup programs. Go to "Start/RUN" or hit "windows key+R" and type "msconfig", hit enter. Under the STARTUP tab on the end right, i unchecked everything that i find to be unnecessary, even microsoft office. If you don't know what each item is, you can do a search on google, and there are sites that will tell u what program uses them, and what they are ACTUALLY for. If you don't use MS messenger, and are annoyed with its POPUP everytime u start windows, here is the place to disable it too. It is "msmsgs". Click restart, and upon startup, check: Don't show this message...

I was having sound cut out everytime in doom when set to 5.1 surround. I read somewhere to disable these startups, and it worked. Maybe it'll work for some of u too. And if not, at least ur MS windows will startup faster, and have much more memory for other things.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  19. mad_max127

mad_max127 New Member

GPU:
    GeCube X800Pro
    Hey Godzilla, I will try the latency at 128 later this week, report will follow ;)

20. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    I think the entire PCI lat thing thingy is a farse, well as far a improving game performance goes anyway.

Its like 3d mark also, they say set this and that and get better and higher FPS blah, blah so people play with it and **** their system and or cards. They then need new parts thus the plan has worked, more sales.

The truth I have found out is PCI lat can help with crashes and not getting more FPS and points. I got a new sound card and got a heap of crashes. So I used my brain and thought that the LAT for my sound card was to fast and/or was requesting when not needed. So i changed it from within the bios from 32-64. Now my system is stable.

Using PCI tool is pointless as it wont work unless it is running, thus you get a process using up PF usage, LMAO.

If someone can prove that they get HUGE frame rates in the area of 100+ FPS or more and bigger scores from using PCI tool or reg tweak in the area of 1000+ points or more, then they can have my computer :D

As it is, why mess with something that has NO impact on games ?