Tim Sweeney: Photorealistic games possible within ten years

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Pb_tmPKGk

2. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    So... the day you get photorealistic games, what's next...? AMD and Nvidia will stop making video cards..? xD

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That isnt even close to photo realistic, Photo realistic to me and probably alot of other people is Exactly what I See with my own eyes which is exactly what I would see with Photo's I actual take.

Like I said not even close specially when High budget Hollywood movies cant even pull it off.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I know what photorealistic is, just pointing out that it's getting closer. The car looks real at least....

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    really the car looks real to you? you must have lower standards then me. that dont look real to me looks nice, but real? I dont think so

6. DeusEXMachina

DeusEXMachina Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 480 OC 8G
    in 10 years, will say the same thing :):):)

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Maybe I'm going blind or something but yeah, it does look real.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Not the best example, but anyway something like that. ( the resizing have add too much grain )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790

Skyrim has a horrible story, much like oblivion. the only thing that makes skyrim a great game is the open world, which still is lackluster with the lack of actual items like armor and weapons.

Mass Effect 1 was an awsome awsome game, Mass Effect 2 was a change from the formula that wasnt as good imo and Mass Effect 3, no just no.

Bioshock however, A++++++

Out of all the games that comes out, there's only 1 or 2 every year that really excels in story/atmosphere. which really really sucks.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I was happy to read that they will start with PC and then port elsewhere. That'd be awesome to see.

12. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I'd asked Tim Sweeney to define Photorealism in detail (every element which makes up photorealism), because its a relative term.

For me, I think people can already achieve photorealism. Like how level design and environments looks in Mirror's edge, its almost believable.

Just stacking many many layers of shaders, doesn't make it photorealistic to me. Nor will creating extremely detailed geometry or apply textures on it, because its just time consuming to create assets with such details from scratch.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    It's not they can't do it, it's just not worth the time and effort to do it yet. They need the money in the given time, it's not they can't, they just won't waste that much time on it.

What they have now is the perfect median of quality to rendering time.

You can see Alex Roman's art here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWE18YjLA8U

That's photorealistic.

I mean, I'd use V-ray and can achieve photorealistic renders, it's just not worth it, no client would pay me enough, and no client would want me to spend that much time just to render it.

Oh, and Roman, made that 3 years ago :)

14. red1776

red1776 Guest

GPU:
    4 x AMD R290X quadfire
    The Valley

The most interesting aspect for me is going to be if this is a case of careful of what you wish for. Do you actually want it that real?
    and the 'Uncanny Valley' along the way, I wonder if they will try to outdo it, or wait until they actually have everything right and photorealism happens all at once.

15. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    Funny how much stress is put on the PC ONLINE game Fortnite. Is it going to be one that will need 'cloud power' to do stuff? Also I hope those triple-A titles get released on PC.