Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Yes, the 0x004030C1 flag worked for me, 4xMSAA, and i got 60 - 70 FPS at 5040x1050 afai can remember, ill post two screenshots (no AA, 4xAA) for comparison later.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yep you can see in my screenshot the same "official" mafia II AA flag, but in my testing it did nothing. the one provided below the picture showed noticeable jaggies reduction when combining MSAA+ transparency SSAA.

same goes for saboteur, the one in the picture is more of a blur then AA, the one below works much better.

so i would say ignore the mafia II value in the screenshot. the only reason im using the older nhancer screenshot is that its much cleaner looking, without missing anything that is already on by default in nvidia drivers, such as the starcraft II AA flag. I'll give it another thought though, thx :)

is there no in game AA? never played LOTRO.

3. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    yes there is but seems not applied correctly...and i see flickering shadows when they are far from me, and they stop flicker as i go near em..is this related to aa? is it solveable?

4. jimmyw85

jimmyw85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 285
    nice finding GanjaStar and others............keep this thread updated........

it helps a lot in giving AA with increased performance

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    i doubt shadow flickering is related to in game AA options.

I would guess flickering shadows are caused by z-fighting, a result of z-buffer performance optimizations on the driver level, or by the devs.

6. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    where can i find this setting?

7. desmoflex

desmoflex Guest

hi,
    someone at combatace.com forum stated that driver 263.09 works with nhancer 2.5.9. anyone out there who can confirm?
    thx flex

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I don't think you can. its deeply imbeded in the drivers. your also using a non gaming driver. its quite posible that z-buffer optimizations for quadro drivers are different. this is all speculation though because I can't know what nvidia does with each driver set.

All i can tell you is this. drivers used in reviews for new video cards can have optimizations like that to boost scores by a bit. sacrifce a bit of quality in a few places, and you can squeeze out a few frames.

were going way offtopic now though :)

9. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Oblivion HDR+AA , any ideas pls ? thx

10. Peakr

Peakr Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I've always had problems overriding Dragon Age AA and have to use in game settings otherwise the game will CTD. Any tips there? Thx.

11. Vimm

Vimm Guest

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Im trying to force AA through Nvidia Inspector while having screen space ambient occlusion present in Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from butcher bay. But with no success I'm afraid. Maybe some more qualified than me can help me?

12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    look at the picture in the original post ;) its also included by default in nvidia drivers. i don't see why you would be having issues with that unless you are doing something wrong somewhere along the way. more details needed.

I have it installed. by default nvidia control panel only lets you enhance AA settings. i removed that limit, turned off in game AA and forced 4 AA without any compatibility flags from control panel. It worked fine. I didn't play it long though, so i cannot say it won't ctd. are you sure your not suferring form the high AA crash bug that is present in the 266 drivers?

Its an OpenGL game, as discussed on the first page, so unless 0x0000F0C1 works, im afraid theres nothing to be done. you can also try 0x00003301, as im fairly positive that is also a supersampling flag. don't quote me on that, though. :)

however, MSAA compatibilty flags only work for DirectX games.

13. jimmyw85

jimmyw85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 285
    me too, i turned on SSAO in game and override AA in nvidia inspector for the game.........but seems it did nothing!~~

have i missed any settings?

it doesnt has any compatibility flag of AA

14. far-cough

far-cough Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R7990 6GB
    hi ganjastar nice thread m8 can u help me with the flags for
    call of duty 4 and call of duty black ops
    running on a quad sli 295 setup with 266.45 drivers
    im new the the inspector program so im looking for start to finish help
    every time ive used nhancer before it doesnt work for me (pre 200 drivers)

at the moment i run enhance drivers setings
    at 16AF and sli 16x aa it is ok but still not the best in cod4
    but in bops it is bad so i run 16 af and 4 aa and sugestions would be muchly appeciated..
    ty in advance for your time and help if u can
    cheers Far-cough

15. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    How about Amnesia The Dark Descent AA support?

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This thread really should be 'stickied' as it is extremely useful. Any chance of moderator doing that, please?

Question: when you install new 26x.xx drivers using the default install option (i.e. NOT the Clean install one!), the NVIDIA drivers retain the settings you chose for games but overwrites any custom AA flags you may have made to the profiles. This is obviously annoying, especially where improvements have been made to the ones NVIDIA insist on using (e.g. Alpha Protocol). What is the best way to retain these customised settings without overwriting any new profiles?

I've been using NVIDIA Inspector to backup custom profiles but it will only import ALL profiles (strange considering it gives you the options to select which ones you want to back up) so that means that if NVIDIA add a profile for a game you already made a profile for then you lose the original settings (such as the AA compatibility flag which may be better than the one you were using for example). Also I have used the NVIDIA SLI Tool to export the profiles into an editable file so that I can give them proper meaningful names (something neither the NVIDIA control panel nor Inspector allow you to do). Obviously all those are lost when you update the drivers as the names revert back to the ones NVIDIA use.

nHancer allowed you to rename existing profiles and also export *and* import selected ones but it doesn't currently work with the new drivers. I hope the author of Inspector will add this functionality in a future update.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks alot, great thread!

I don't seem to get AA working in Mafia 2 though. The "original" one, yes, but nothing above that. Neither one of the two flags listed here work nor does enhance or override application setting.

18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    please read the posts before yours :) it has been mentioned twice by now riddick is an OpenGL game. as such, only the supersampling flags have a chance of working. MSAA flags are DirectX exclusive from what i know at least.

I guess i have to add a note that for OpenGL games, only supersampling flags will work, in case forcing AA without any compatibilty flags doesn't :)

not sure what the problem is? the default flag for call of duty in nvidia drivers is 0x40000000. is it not working? since black ops is the same engine i would assume it works with the same flag. don't have either game installed so i can't test, but when i did play cod 4, i had no troubles overiding AA from the control panel without dabling with any 3rd party tools.

as far as i know, besides manually reinserting profiles saved with the sli_tool, there isn't a much better or easier way.

refer to these 2 posts

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336471666&postcount=38

http://forum.nhancer.com/showpost.php?p=8787&postcount=3

mafia 2

if they got it working i don't see why it shouldn't work for you :)

OpenGL game. so try the stalker flag, darksiders flag, maybe timeshift flag. if those don't work i doubt any other will.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That is a very good question ;) I don't know why it wouldn't work but it always looks the same. Nowhere close to the screenshot the guy posted, just the regular AA the game features anyhow.

20. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    did you disable in game AA as it says in one of the posts?