Help me to buy Galaxy S3 in Canada.

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Mr_Alexander, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Hi guys.
    I need your help to buy a Galaxy S3 for my girlfriend.
    I am complete noob in terms of cell phones. I have old simple phone myself and never paid attention to cell phones market.
    I found this one on Amazon.ca
    http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-GT-I9300-Unlocked-Smartphone-Quad-Core/dp/B008AFZ2VO/ref=cm_rdp_product

Maybe you guys have other suggestions where I should buy it.

I have few questions:
    1. If I buy it will it work with Rogers Canada provider?
    2. Do I need to install anything or it is ready to work out of the box. If not how complicated it is to make it ready.

Also I found a guy asking something about compatibility with Canadian carries. Here is his question.

I would like to buy this phone but want to make sure it comes with 4G (LTE) compatible with Canadian carriers (e.g. Bell, Rogers, Fido, etc.)
    I called amazon.ca customer service, they asked me to call samsung canada. I called samsung canada and they said it was not manufactured by
    samsung canada so they couldn't tell.
    I called amazon.ca again and they said they had no further information other than what was on the product page.
    The product page said "4G(dependent on market)."

It really doesn't help as I have no idea what market this I9300 model was supposed for.

Maybe someone here can answer.

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance.:)

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The GT-I9300 is NOT 4G (LTE), only the GT-I9305 is.

Why does it have no warranty, I have never seen that on an amazon product/page and I'd never buy anything electrical without a warranty anyway.

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    LOL @ the NO Warranty..

4. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't think it's worth it to pay the extra loads of money for the SIII rather than the Nexus 4 now that it's in the open. They're basically the same, especially for your girlfriend, but the N4 doesn't look like a happy meal toy

5. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, why? If hes buying the handset outright, N4 is 359$, GSIII seems to be $599. What do you get for that extra? (genuine question cos idk)

7. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    If he pays the $599.00 for it, he's not on a three year contract and he owns the phone outright. If he pays the $99.00, he's on a three year plan and owns the phone after 3 years.

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Whats that got to do with paying $359 instead of $599? :O I meant buying N4 handset vs buying GSIII handset, no contracts :)

9. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thank you for your replies. I would like to get unlocked one because she wants to switch from Rogers. I am kind of scared to buy that one on Amazon especially no warranty. Does anyone know other place to buy quad core that would work in Canada?

10. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_8GB?id=nexus_4_8gb

EDIT: the N4 has hidden LTE/4G... Works with Rogers

http://androidandme.com/2012/11/sma...-lte&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Get it from your carrier that you'll be going to? All Canadian carriers (afaik; except Public Mobile) carries the Galaxy S 3....

deltatux

12. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I thought North America only had the fake Galaxy S3 though?

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    What's a "fake Galaxy S3" o_O?

Each region has their own Galaxy S 3 model. North America has the SGH-i747 (Rogers, Bell, TELUS, AT&T), SGH-T999(V) (Mobilicity, Sasktel, T-Mobile USA, WIND Mobile, Videotron), and then CDMA variants for US markets.

deltatux

14. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The dual core one, North America has a crappy dual core (relatively speaking), the rest of the world has a quad core, the main selling and advertised feature of the galaxy s3 and the one at launch was a quad core, anything else is just trying to use the name to market it to suckers.

Same as if you had a Ferrari F430, and then a VW Polo and slapped the Ferrari badge on it, it might be called the same, but it's not the same despite what the marketing team tries to say.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Last check the dual core in the North American S3 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 "Krait" core. More cores != faster. That's just a myth, it's like saying an AMD Phenom II 1090T is faster than a Core i5 2500K because it has more cores.

The Krait core is a Cortex A15-class SoC while the Exynos 4412 found in the Samsung S 3 (I9300) is a Cortex A9 core. Also, the I9300 also only has half the RAM while the North American variants, Australian variant, Korean variants all have 2 GB of RAM as well.

deltatux

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I never claimed it was faster, the Galaxy S3 is and was marketed as a quad core phone world wide, just slapping a name on something doesn't make it one.

Also the international 4G LTE one, the I9305 has 2GB ram, LTE and a quad core. The australian one is the I9305.

17. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    well as a matter of fact that Quad core Arm9 is faster than the Dual core Krait and also Mali 400mp4 that come with it is faster than Aderno 225 that come with Krait core.

don't forget that unlike the rest of Arm9 core Exynos 4112 is on a 32nm process not a 40nm one so it let Samsung to clock it higher while using less power

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It was never advertised as a quad core here. It probably was only advertised as such in places where it is a quad-core phone. It has always been advertised as being powered by a "1.5 GHz dual core processor" here. It has literally the same design of the other phones except that Samsung for some reason opted for a Qualcomm chip in their North American variant. Probably because of the American CDMA carriers.

Ummm, you might want to check your sources again, I have yet to find a source that claims that the Exynos 4412 being faster than the Qualcomm S4 MSM8960. Also, all Krait cores are built on the 28nm process, the Tegra 3 is built on the 40nm process.

Only things I've seen is indeed the Mali 400 is faster than the Adreno 225 since the Adreno 225 is just a repackaged Adreno 220. That's one reason why I rather opt for the Adreno 320 in the Nexus 4.

deltatux

19. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
  20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Basically, the benchmarks have to be properly threaded in order for the Exynos chip to excel. However, if you give it clock for clock, core for core, the Qualcomm S4 still pulls ahead as shown in several of those benchmarks.

Now the question is, other than benchmarking software, how much software out there is really properly threaded? This is still a conundrum in the desktop/laptop space and is even more so on the mobile space.

deltatux