NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DeusEXMachina, Apr 9, 2012.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Really, do you get the psod with these drivers? It's strange, I had it with the previous release, and you even get it with a 460. I had never seen this 'retro' lol problem before... Maybe it is just a problem with certain cards code within the drivers themselves, I dunno but I thought it was hardware related and had been testing my ram, sound card, sli bridge and all my hard drives, but when there was nothing wrong with them, I thought it might just be windows 8 that I use as multi boot... Now I have this driver set installed, the problem is gone :) Sorry to hear it's still a problem with your card :(

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    This driver seems to work really good. The GPU utilization is better also the adaptive vsync is a lovely feature, games feel smoother with it enable. I'm curious to see if my card artifacts in BF3 now when OC, cause the last whql did.

edit: i did noticed something weird, when i right click my desktop, the option tab looks a bit oval. but not on the entire desktop, only at the center..really weird sh!t..anyone else noticed this!?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    i doubt it's the driver, but rather your OC isn't stable. i had no artifacts with my OCed card and whql.

4. DeusEXMachina

DeusEXMachina Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 480 OC 8G
    Well, the only way to run crysis 2 fine is enabled vsync in-game, this way caped my game at 30 fps, no sttutering!!! but fix crashes, maybe is my psu but is a decent psu 750W, 56 amp at 12v rail...the weird is the thing only happens with the FUC"#$!% Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 and Lost Planet 2 put my system at maximun too and never crash...:bang::bang:

This is my crysis 2 setting: 1080p, image quality extreme, DX11 enable, High resolution texture enable

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

GPU overclocks are less stable with these...

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @mufflore: Right, I didn't put all those details in. CPU runs at 4.4GHz with default vcore and my card works at 775/1800 (0.95V, its default vcore). I had another 470 that ran at 1.025V default and consumed around 80W more under load (if I remember correctly).
    You're right about the brand though as only a high quality PSU (which can deliver what's written on the sticker) will work flawlessly.
    System usually needs ~75W idle, ~195W fully-loaded with Prime and ~285W max in Batman:AC benchmark for example. The screen adds another 25W but that's about it.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    No, it's stable. 800 @ 2000mhz @ 84 degrease full load..that's no temp for artifacts..

8. pasanen

pasanen Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 980
    With 296.10? I had zero trouble with those. Also, I think calling it PSOD is a bit hyperbole, since unlike with BSOD, this one actually lets you resume after the driver has reset itself after a few seconds. At least it did so on those few occasions I've seen it, both while alt+tabbing away from game.

And yes, I know my card is old lol. I decided to wait for GK110:grin:

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    CPU + system at full load uses up to 195W.
    Gfx card TDP when not clocked is 215W.
    That gives a max power use of 410W without clocking the gfx card.
    Your PSU can supply 456W on 12V "when new".
    Subtract approx 5% from PSUs total power output, per year of use.

You run an awful risk with your PSU and your system.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks, but even the combination of Prime (4 threads) and Metro 2033 benchmark doesn't exceed ~380W at max. It's really not an issue.
    If this was one of the "worse" cards, with higher default vcore (or raised vcore to that level), I'd definitely have to reconsider this. But with low voltages there's lots of headroom left.
    The readings are from a meter that tells me how much is being taken from the wall, not how much is being delivered.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I knew it was more than 300W ;)

Even 380W is pushing the PSU hard and it certainly isnt the max it will have to supply.
    If we take your 380W, the PSU is being pushed to 83% of its capacity when the PSU is brand new.
    Under normal wear and tear a PSU derates at around 5% per year.
    So after 1 year, your PSU will be able to supply around 430W, and if you havent increased your load by then you will be pushing the PSU to 88% of its capacity.

But when you push a PSU hard, it derates a bit faster.
    And as you can see, the faster it derates, the harder it is being pushed which means it derates even faster... ...
    And it also gets hotter which makes it derate just that bit faster too.
    (As the PSU derates, its power draw doesnt reduce, but the power it supplies to the PC does. This means the extra power not given to the PC becomes heat within the PSU. This is much worse, the lower the efficiency of the PSU. 80% isnt very efficient to start with.)

I recommend getting a PSU when new that operates at 50% of its max.
    At a stretch, 66% of its max.
    Then you are covered for years of use and can increase power use a bit too.

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, but 380W is with Prime in the background. "Normally" I don't do that :D
    Around 50% load the efficiency is said to be at ~92% so the PC itself would be pulling ~350W.
    Normally I'd be using ~60% of what the PSU is rated at (even less if I keep in mind that the internals are the same as the X-850 has) so it should be safe.
    I had larger PSUs before, all the time actually, and stepped down because the more recent builds were getting more and more efficient.
    All this won't work though with a cheap PSU or one that's too old (different power distribution across the rails, stronger 5V for example).

Anyway, the drivers are still doing great and I haven't faced a real issue so far. Might be placebo but I found the image quality in pCARS to be exceptionally nice.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Was the GPU maxed and were the CPU and GPU both clocked?
    Your PC can use more power when you arent expecting.
    I bet your PC could be made to exceed 400W, circumstances beyond your control can make this happen.

Yeah you wont be derating massively (at first) with 90% ish efficiency.
    I'd keep an eye on this after a years use, especially when overclocking or if you add more devices or change to more powerful devices.
    Well done for using a mains meter btw :)

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, GPU was maxed (Metro) and both were clocked. I know it can use more power but that's more of a theoretical question (OCCT for example has a mean PSU test for example).
    I'll keep an eye on it for sure though. You can't imagine how sceptical I was at first, especially as it's completely passive (and yet has been rock-solid ever since I got it).

15. Ziggieke

Ziggieke Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 100 ME
    That fixed it, thanks muchly.

16. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    I found out on the nVidia forums that factory overclocked cards are affected by the low framerate bug with this driver set. The supposed fix is to downclock your videocard to vanilla GTX 580 clock speed 772mhz. I hope nvidia fixes this problem. I didnt get a matrix card just to run it at reference speed lol.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's quite the contrary here

Past 296.10 I can overclock further, or just use lower voltage

For example:
    My card is 20% factory overclocked, and yet I can take default voltage down by 0.62V (1.012 V -> 0.95 V)

Before 296.10 I had to settle for 0.975V :)

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    :book:

0.062V

19. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    I have resolution problem

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
    I watch movies on my lcd tv 1366x768
    I usually create a custom resolution and i did so with those drivers
    But it seems even when i select 32bit and while it test the resolution every thing is ok - when I activate the resolution I only get 16 bit color.. help meeeee

20. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    Seems like an old recurring bug, try and create that specific resolution at 16bit color and then possibly it should work, I know, it sounds weird, but just try it!

GL