7700K OC'in time - voltages?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by AvengerUK, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Still thinking of what cooler to get..Maybe Cryorig A40 Ultimate or Nzxt X52..I don't want to spend anymore since this is not my Main Rig..

I can't delid simply because I will sell this in the future..Reselling value will take a hit when a sell it without warranty anymore..

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Warranty is not voided if you glue it back together.

They'll never know you did it unless you broke it during the delid process.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Both those coolers look good, doubt you could go wrong with either.

I'd be very interested to know what voltage you'd need to pass R15 at 5Ghz/4.5Ghz/3600Mhz CPU/Cache/Mems

Also delid might not be an issue depending on who you're selling to.

Depends what you damage during the delid process, chip the die, reglue the IHS they'll never know.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I mean physical damage.

If you break it during the delid process, you should own up to it.
    I'm not saying glue it back together from your own mishap.

No harm though if delid is successful and CPU dies by other means.

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah I know you mean physical damage, hence chipping the die with a razor blade, but that die would be hidden under the IHS when glued back on.

As for owning up, obviously some will and some won't. Just saying if someone is so inclined it wouldn't be hard to get away with.

I chipped the die of my 3570K, but I got lucky and it still worked perfectly. Not that I would have claimed RMA, it would have been a bitter pill to swallow, but I would have gotten over it :)

6. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Ohh..I didn't know about that..I thought they have a way to know if you delided the CPU and automatically voids warranty..

I might think about it delidding the 7700K if I'm still not satisfied with the heat after changing the cooler..

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I would never do that, this shouldn't be happening in the first place. Why get your hands dirty, best would be not to support intel at all.

My haswell was "hot", its already almost 4yrs old, will be this year in June and its still sealed, not going to risk it.

In normal gaming scenario - most demanding so far Rift mmo and The Division, its ~ 50-65ish C.. otherwise in mid 40-50s @ 4.7Ghz with H90 cooler.

Only by loading The Divison it can get up to ~64-69C per core, but in that time all 8 threads pegged to 100%, using Asus AI SUite3 @ turbo fan mode, so its quieter then usual.

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Well, if you really want to achieve the absolute highest overclocks your chip can do then go for it. I know I did and my chip came out just fine - and I also used the hammer/vice method which is not recommended for Skylake-Kaby Lake chips because of their thinner PCB cracking under pressure. My temps dropped from low 80's to max 52 at 1.35 4.5GHz. Now I'm running the chip at 4.8 with vcore at 1.43-1.45 24/7 and it's been running fine. Reaches max temp of 66 under heavy stress testing and never reaches 50 when gaming. Wouldn't worry about going past 1.3 with the voltages either, as long as you keep the chip properly cooled you're going to be fine.

9. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    I'm very much hoping to get to 5Ghz with higher volts after delid - (Can't because of temps currently) - although I think my absolute max. will be 1.4 vcore.

From initial testing (but it was too hot) 1.38 might suffice, but we'll see!

I'll likely simply test the change in temps @ 4.8 first, then set to 1.4 and see if 50 is stable (or not) - if not, I'll stick to 4.8 as I'm not keen on juicing it too much!

10. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Done Testing.. It is stable with 5.0ghz @ 1.312v.

But the heat is killing me..High 80's while running Cinebench 15..and 92-96 when stress testing..Damn..

Cinebench 15:

[​IMG]

Firestrike:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    yep and you can expect anywhere from 10-30c drop from delid.

Liquid ultra or similar yields the biggest drop.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Blimey thats toasty! Is that with the new cooler? If so you for sure want a delid, pick up some conductonaut you'll def see a big drop in temps

13. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Whoa, had no idea that KL chips run that much hotter than Skylake and even on such a low voltage. Still using that Kuhler 920? In case you too are going to delid, don't put Thermal Grizzly or any similar kind of TIM between the die and IHS, use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra and put the regular TIM between the IHS and the CPU cooler itself. You'll get much better results this way.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  14. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Still using the old cooler, Antec 920..

Might think about delidding if I change my cooler and the temps is still not acceptable..

15. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    My temperatures with an H115i are insane. Three cores are 60s-70s under load but one consistently hits the 90s. I'm considering buying a delidder but I'm nervous that Core #1 will continue to overheat. Is this an issue that would be solved by new paste?

16. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Give me a day and I'll answer that.

My core 1 is easily the hottest too.

My de-lid kit is now in the UK - hopefully getting it tomorrow, touch wood.

I will report back once it's done with pre-and post temps and also thoughts on the process.

If I can do it, anyone can do it ;)

---

Meanwhile, Now running 4.8 @ 1.32 due to instability at 1.3 - but I'll be tweaking the hell out of it once delidded, attempt 5Ghz again.

17. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Awesome! Also, it's good to know that other people have a temperature issue on a single core.

18. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Won't be today due to snail mail. Either tomorrow or Thursday with any luck.

EDIT: New ETA because RM are incompetent, Friday.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. DJSean00

DJSean00 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080
    Hey All,

I don't want to hijack the thread but thought I'd chime in with my initial results from playing around for a night with my new 7700k.

I've got:

THERMALTAKE Water 3.0 ULTIMATE
    Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero
    G.Skill RIPJAWS V 32GB KIT(8GBX4)DDR4 3200MHZ
    Corsair HX1000i 1000W

While I'm not ready to call it stable *yet* I've managed to grab 5Ghz @ 1.315v and have been stressing for a total of 4 hours.

With the Thermaltake cooler mounted in the front for a push/pull scenario in a room consistently at 22'c I see idle temps around 27'c and temps at load hovering around 77-79'c

Below taken about 30 mins into a stress test with RealBench 2.44

[​IMG]

Ending up with this

[​IMG]

On a side note I tried for 5.1-2 @ 1.35 and the temps were getting serious at that point with 80-86'c so I backed it off to 5.

Cheers
    DJ

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    ^^ Pics not working matey