New GPU not detected...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by renegade_office, Dec 13, 2012.

1. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    Hello to everyone. I just bought a new Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB yesterday, and I installed it on my PC, and Windows didn't detect the new card. My old GTS 450 worked fine and dandy, and I completely have no idea why my card isn't detected. I tried a lot of stuff already, changing power cables (same PSU, just different cables), resetting it, flashing to a newer BIOS on the mobo, and nothing worked. It only worked when i removed one of my RAMs, and then Windows detected it and played as normal, even tried far Cry 3 on it for a while. but once I shut down the PC, it happened again, and this time, the mobo only detects it when both one of the RAM and the dvd drive is removed, with the DVD drive only the SATA cable was removed. And after another shutdown, the card is undetected again. Anyone have any ideas? This is the spec of my PC:

Intel i3-2100
    Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3 (The LAN port was damaged, if that helps any. but the LAN's light is still running, but the orange light is not blinking and the green one is not present.)
    8GB DDR3 RAM (one of them a Mushkin RAM, the other Kingston, the first successful usage was when I remove the Mushkin RAM)
    1x Seagate 1T HDD
    1x Samsung 1T HDD
    1x Seagate 2T HDD (None of the HDDs are removed in any successful run)
    CM Real Power Pro 750W PSU
    1x DVD drive

Now I am running this on onboard graphics, and I missed my Far Cry 3 already... Any ideas? I have removed completely using Driver Sweeper for the Intel HD onboard gfx, the successful AMD installation and also the GTS 450's driver. Any ideas? Very urgent here... Oh, and if it's any related, my old GPU, the GTS 450 was toasted just two days ago, one day before I bought the 6850.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Why was your gtx toasted?
    Have you tried a live linux CD to make sure it's not a windows thing.
    Also make sure you disable your IGP and check every cable in your computer for proper attachment.
    I assume it's a new radeon so it should work fine on other machines?
    Oh and about the RAM, does it work 100% when you only use one stick?

3. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    Why the gfx is toasted I have no idea. I came back from classes, and there is no display, checked the card out, saw some black spots on it.
    No linux CD, sadly. But even BIOS didn't disable the IGP, so even BIOS didn't detect the GPU.
    IGP disabled itself when BIOS detects the card during the moments mentioned above.
    Haven't tried on other machines, will do so tomorrow.
    can you explain further? The RAM or the gpu? the RAM works fine one or both, with or without GPU, and when I removed one as said above, it runs like there's no problems, but shutting down and placing the RAM back brought the same problem, and removing it again does not make my mobo detect the GPU.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Could it be that your PSU blew your GTX and the PCIe slot? Cooler Master should be a reliable brand though (not sure), so I doubt that.

5. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    So far, the PSU has not failed me as of yet, though that might not be true. i have a friend's Corsair VX 550W PSU with me, think that that will be enough to power up my system in case I wanted to test it with everything on?

6. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    Okay, so due to an advice from a friend of mine, I made a barebones setup using the PC just now, with the only HDD in use is the 1T Samsung. Once again, the mobo detects the GFX and disabled the onboard, and the GFX mysteriously disappears again once the PC was shut down and switched on again. Restarting it (either using Windows restart prompt, saving CMOS setting or pressing ctrl+alt+del in BIOS) didn't make the problem reappear, shutting it down and turning it back on does somehow. Then I reinstalled everything again, and once again, the mobo detects the card, before the same thing happened when I powered the system down and switching it back on again. Any ideas to why this is happening?

7. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    Okay, solved it. Bought a new motherboard with my just-came-in salary. Thanks for everything!

8. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Nice to hear you sorted it out.
    What was the exact reason? Because if it was the PSU that caused the motherboard failure you might want to watch out not to damage your new board as well.

9. renegade_office

renegade_office Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    I think the exact reason for the problem is the motherboard itself. Changing PSUs didn't work, and the card worked and got detected fine on both a friend's PC and on my new mobo. Thanks for the advice though. Any way to determine whether a PSU is problematic or not? Care to share?