6.5.0 Beta 6 64 bit Steam Overlay does not work.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by MrBridgeSix, Oct 6, 2016.

1. MrBridgeSix

MrBridgeSix Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    64 bit Steam Overlay (Batman: Arkham Knight & GTA:V) in 6.5.0 Beta 6 does not work anymore.

6.4.0 Works flawlessly.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Rtfm!!!

3. MrBridgeSix

MrBridgeSix Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    Sorry to bother you Unwinder, your work is really awsome and I mean it.

I've seen in the changelog something about the 64bit steam overlay having been removed from the delayed hooking engine and it made so that my steam did not work anymore on top of 64bit games, so I tried to edit the configurations but the information I've found online on how to do so was for 6.3.0 and the files supposed to contain the configs for the delayed hooking engine are no longer there in 6.5.0 Beta 6. So I downgraded to 6.4.0 where it works out of the box.

Sorry if I'm being hugely inconvenient and dumb but I wanted to make sure the issue was reported cause I want to use the new features of 6.5.0 without losing my steam overlay.

Thanks.

4. Unwinder

It will not work out of box anymore in this and future releases due to reasons explained here.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It's pretty simple to get the OSD working with the Steam Overlay. To do so:

1. Navigate to where RTSS is installed (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server).
    2. Navigate to ProfileTemplates folder
    3. Locate Global config (should be under the "file" type if you have things sorted by type, and simply named, "Global")
    4. Open in Notepad/Wordpad
    5. Locate InjectionDelayTriggers under the [Hooking] section
    6. add GameOverlayRenderer64.dll to the line with a comma without a space.
    7. Save/Exit
    8. Open steam, load game, give it 15 seconds and the OSD should appear.

I hope this helps you!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. Unwinder

Small note to item 6. When adding new trigger DLL there, ensure that you do it properly. DLLs in the list must be comma-separated, and there should be no spaces between the separators and names.
    Also 15 second delay can be tweaked in adjacent field and debug beeping can be enabled (so it makes beep sound while delay mechanism is triggered properly).

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Oops, forgot to add that bit. Also, another thing that I forgot to mention is that the steam overlay currently does not work in Direct X 12. This is a limitation of steam and not RTSS. It is mentioned in both DX:MD and ROTTR patch notes.

EDIT: Steam overlay has been re-enabled in ROTTR under Direct X 12 with the latest patch (1.0.751.5).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    FIX for Steam Overlay (not being displayed) with RTSS 6.5.0 Latest BETAs.

Hey, I am using MSI AFTERBURNER 4.3.0 Beta 14, but I've downgraded my RivaTuner Statistic Server to version 6.4.0 (latest non beta).
    Reason being, I wanted the Steam Overlay back with zero tweaking.

However - I did found a "FIX" for RivaTuner 6.5.0 latest Beta - to work out of the box with Steam Overlay and its own OSD :pc1::
    What I did was, simply enable "CUSTOM DIRECT3D SUPPORT".
    Once that's activated (slider is set to "ON" on the main menu of RTSS) - Steam Overlay is back and working :thumbup: !!!

I don't know if that's the "official" tweak, but I think that's the best way to use the latest Beta of RivaTuner + Steam Overlay.

Unwinder - is that a good choice? Are there any side-effects? Such as launching or performance issues? Glitches and so on when applying Custom Direct3D Support.
    I'd really appreciate an official answer, until then I'll keep using version 6.4.0.

Also, for some reason, the latest Beta versions of RTSS has an empty application profile list, unlike the non beta (I only have the GLOBAL profile). Why's that?

At any rate, I wanted to help others in the same position as I am, so let me know if that helps!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    rtfm :)

The profiles were removed from being shown only if you read the documentation for that release. Highly recommended to not use global for your D3D, make a profile for the .exe you want it on for.

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You know there is a readMe file that explains all these changes??? It is located in the "Docs" folder where RTSS is installed. Unwinder has explained in countless threads why the OSD no longer works in steam. I've even included a guide on how to add a delay to get it working for steam IN THIS THREAD! Do some research and you'll begin to understand that the way the OSD functions has changed due to how the Steam Overlay functions. Here are the changes for you:

11. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Woah. :chainsaw2: Someone is being rude and angry for now reason.
    Your reply came out as very aggressive and unthoughtful as well - since I already regarded everything that's on this thread.
    Plus you were totally disregarding my suggested fix, which was the main topic of my one and only (previous) comment.

1. I read that description already, from the Guru3D download page, I am familiar with it, but it was still rather unclear. Especially for someone who never followed discussions about these stuff in the past, but I imagine most users would not really understand the meaning behind the update's description/readme.

2. I've already told you - I am seeking a ZERO tweaking/fiddling solution, just like the OP mentioned in the start. I also FOUND one such possible FIX - that may offer the best workaround for people who are interested in the latest Beta.

3. I also mentioned already that I am now using the latest NON-Beta RTSS that works flawlessly with Steam's Overlay and other applications.

4. Regarding my potential fix, I don't know if it will work for everyone:
    Turning on Custom Direct 3D Support - in the main menu of RTSS, seems to make Steam's Overlay available and working simultaneously, with zero delay and no further tweaking.
    Therefore this is basically and out of the box + 1 click solution.
    I've made this post in order to offer the fix that worked for me (when I was using the latest Beta version), in order to help fellow users. Especially since I know most users don't like making tweaks - such as the tweaking you wrote down in your guide above.

I also, and I repeat my last post, wanted to hear if/how turning that setting on - has any negative or otherwise side-effects. Heck - why does it even work?

At any rate, let me know if that fix works for you, and whether you encountered any issues.

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Why would I use your "fix" when I have zero issues with OSD? I don't need it. You're the one who came in here complaining about the OSD not working. Not me. IF you bothered to search and read other threads, specifically this thread you'd get a better understanding of why the Steam overlay/RTSS OSD don't play nicely together.

EDIT:
    Your way works fine (at least for steam). Hell, that's cool you found it. In fact regarding the original OP, the way explained was the only way AT THE TIME to get the OSD working in tandem with Steam + RTSS. Maybe your way always worked, I don't know. But if it does that's cool for those who want it. I'm personally still going to use the InjectorDelayTrigger as it allows for a bit more configuration. Also your way may or may not work with other overlays. My guide can be used for Steam, Uplay, or Origin.

13. Unwinder

If you were carefully reading context help for the option you're using as a "fix", you'd easily answer the question yourself - there is more than strict recommendation to AVOID enabling it globally as it surely WILL cause compatibility issues with some game engines. It is not intended to be enabled globally for all games. Not intended at all. If you tend to ignore it - that's entirely your choice, but for others who don't get lazy to apply minor tweaks to application config - I strongly don't recommend to follow this way.
    Also the release notes quoted by pimp_gimp answer why the profile list is empty. So his recommendation to read revision history was useful.

14. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Hey pimp_gimp, I have installed the MSI AB 4.3 and RTSS 6.5
    As expected, Steam Overlay doesn't work in conjunction with AB/RTSS.
    I've tried to apply your tweak, but I cannot save the Global file. I add the line, press SAVE and it says:
    "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?". I am the only user on the system and my user is Administrator according to Account Settings. Plus I never encountered such an issue before.
    So, how do I overcome this?
    I checked the file and saw it wasn't READ ONLY or anything.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have not done this fix as Pimp_gimp but have got around permission thing.
    What works many times is, close app linked to file, in this case RTSS.
    Then in the profiles folder copy the global file to desktop.
    from there make your edits and save.
    Then you can copy that file to profile folder, might want to rename the org global file.
    Now you should be able to add it, the edited one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

16. Unwinder

UAC doesn't allow you to modify contents of any file inside the "Program files" folder if you don't run the editor application as admin. Run notepad as admin and it will allow you to modify that file.

17. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Thanks EdKiefer - your solution worked flawlessly! Quite a simple process to execute.
    I copied Global to the desktop, renamed original Global to GlobalOLD, edited the copy and moved it back into the ProfileTemplates folder.

This also works, thanks Unwinder.
    Although I should note this method is slightly more complicated, since there is no option to "Open With" > "Notepad as Administrator" only as normal Notepad.
    So what you CAN do is:
    a. Search for "Notepad" in the Search bar > Right click and choose "Run As Administrator" > Open > navigate to the right folder where Global is located > change to "All Files" > then open Global, edit and add the lines, save and exit.
    b. Find Notepad > Properties > Advanced > set to run as Administrator.

Both solutions worked nicely, so I thank you both guys!

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Thanks
    That's good to know, now win10 needs to allow right clicking on start menu of app for admin options.
    Edit: If you use the search bar you do have admin options, so thats good.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Sorry I'm late to the party. But just do as Unwinder said and run the editor you use as Administrator.

20. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Yeah, well that's what I meant with option (a) in my post above, just edited it. It would have been helpful if in the "Open With" menu, you could tick an option to "Run as Admin".
    However, you still need to search notepad > open as admin > then click open and navigate manually to the correct folder, look for "all files", choose the file, then edit & save.
    Is that right? Or am I missing something? It's not like you can find the file Global in the right folder first, then open it directly with Notepad as Administrator, unless you pre-set Notepad to always run as Admin, as I wrote in option (b).

Thank you.
    pimp_gimp, just out of curiosity, in case I am missing any better method to open a file with notepad as admin: Is the method I explained above in option (a) the correct way to open and edit Global as Admin (through navigation)?

Thank you all guys, been very helpful. This thread should assist others looking to get Steam Overlay and MSI/RTSS OSD running simultaneously! :thumbup: (Still wish it was working together out of the box, with zero tweaking though, like it used to, but I guess you made a decision).