Samsung 31.5-inch 4K LCD display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung will demonstrate a 31.5" 4K LCD display at IFA 2013 in Berlin. Although details are scarce, we know the display will measure 31.5"—the same size as Asus' PQ321Q. The Asu...

Samsung 31.5-inch 4K LCD display

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Any news on money?

3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Please tell me that these will be below 500 in Q3 2014 and that we will have graphics cards that can render 4K@60FPS with the latest games? :) that would be so sweet..

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    One can only dream... (it will happen but Q2 2014.. nope)

It needs someone like Samsung to come out and release a 4K TV for under $2,000 but not skimp on the hardware or software.

If companies like these can make 720p or even 1080p 5" screens for smartphones and tablets and still sell the phone or tablets for a pretty reasonable amount of money and still make a profit. They can surely make a 30+ inch TV with a 4K resolution.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    These will be below $500 in Q3 2014 and that we'll have graphics cards that can render 4K@60FPS with the latest games. :thumbup:

6. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Thanx, I'll sleep better now mate :wanker: Unfortunately I believe that even Q3 2015 is not realistic with the new consoles being so crappy. They can't afford to look totally pathetic in just a couple of years time..

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    All of it.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    4K will be dismissed as a gimmick by most, especially on a screen that small.
    Even on a average sized living room 4k TV the consoles could upscale to 4k and hardly anyone would be able to see the difference unless they sit very close.

Don't see many PC gamers going for it either, even if the closer viewing distance makes it easier to appreciate the resolution they will have to be as good if not better than screen quality of other screens as well as 120hz.

lol @ t.iny being censored.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  9. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Wouldn't games need to be made with even higher quality textures to get the full potential out of a 4k display. Can imagine game developers crying over it and still just give us crappy ports and upscales.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    With that size display no AA needed :banana:

11. Sufu

Sufu New Member

What the hell are you talking about? You would have to be pretty dumb to buy a 4k monitor to play console games on it. This is far more than a "gimmick".

Personally, I can notice a fairly big difference going from 1440p to 4k. You also won't be "upscaling" to 4k on any PC games; I've yet to have a game that refuses to run at this res, even console ports. Maybe something from the 90s or early 2000s - but those were hardcoded at certain resolutions anyway.

The screen quality of this is better than your cheap TN 120hz monitors. It's as good as most IPS screens out there, and this is still LED lit. The only downfall of the monitor is the buggy nVidia drivers that support 4k@60hz resolutions. I don't see the point in a 120hz 4k monitor at this point in time; you can barely do 4k@60fps with two 780s in SLI, and some games not even that much. Good Luck with 120fps.

If you solely play FPS competitively, then this monitor is not for you. For everyone else, gaming at 4k is pretty awesome. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back down. It's like when you went from 1080p to 1600p the first time. Now as far as the screen been too "small", I am not sure I'd want a bigger screen unless I sat really far back. But at that point, I'd have a hard time navigating my desktop.

This is all coming from a owner of Asus PQ321Q.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

Ehm, no - Redemption is spot on, at least for the foreseeable future.

It is a 'gimmick' until there is a lot more content available for it, PC hardware capable of playing at that res, along with 'reasonable' pricing.

You need 4 Titans to get acceptable FPS in some AAA games @ 4K Max settings (Anandtech test that I have referenced elsewhere) and with idiots like Relic making a PC exclusive game that does not support SLI/CF, good luck with 1600P at max settings, let alone 4K.

The limiting factors are price and size.

$3.5-5K for a 30" monitor is just not a reasonable investment given the other things I could invest the cash in - like a screaming rig or two 70" LED TVs.

Sure, 4K is nice, and I love new technology so I'm definitely not against it, but when you have to spend 3.5+K on the monitor and another 5K on the machine to run games (some of the newer ones at barely acceptable FPS) then it's just not feasible (for me at least) to spend that kind of money on it.

Unfortunately, 3 way and especially 4 way SLI suffer badly from diminishing returns (especially 4 way) making that another bad investment.

Now, if I could get excellent FPS out of say (2 Titans/780s) then I might cave in and buy a 4K display just for the hell of it.

Sadly, this not being the case, I'll stick with 1600P (for now ;) )

Obviously, the prices are going to fall (and I don't think it will be long before 4K is alot cheaper than it is now). Couple that with Maxwell, HDMI 2.0 etc and 4K is not so 'gimmicky' imho.

PS: And yeah, I know, I can turn off AA, turn down details etc except that in my case, I'm not buying a monitor for that kind of money to have to start disabling features just so I can get acceptable FPS (and I like to run at max settings), so that's not an option either (in case anyone wants to use that argument).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Not gonna buy one of these until I can has it in 120hz. Never going back to 60hz now I've tasted the smoothness

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    4k@120hz well if you have the power of 8 titans maybe you are gonna taste smoothness, lol