Best AIO liquid cooler for 1080 Ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So I've got MSI Founder Edition and in order to reduce thermal throttling and keep my clock up at 2Ghz I have to ramp the fan up, which is helluva noisy.

I want relative silence and I'm looking at an AIO liquid cooler.

The EVGA Hybrid seems a little overpriced and I can't find any definitive reviews of it, and I'm not overly impressed by the Accelero Arctic solutions which max out at 50C under load - decent but not stunning.

Currently I'm maxing out at 85C+ without fan curve adjustment and obviously WITH thermal throttling, but with curve adjustment and massively reduced throttling it maxes at 72C. But that noise, man. The fan won't last.

So what AIO would you guys suggest would let me max the lot out, keep me at 2GHz, keep the temps below 50C if possible and wouldn't cost the earth?

Cheers.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think the only AIO for a GPU are modified CPU ones, and those only cool the core (and memory?). A fan will still be needed for the VRMs. Not really sure how they perform but I doubt you'll get under 50 C with them. The placement of the AIO is also an issue.

Is there a particular product(s) you've researched or are you looking for general advice?

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

That's bit hard there keeping the GTX1080Ti with AIO under 50°C with reasonable noise and performance ratio

I've run on my Titan X SC Maxwell Raijintek Morpheus II cooler with EK Vardar F3 1850RPM fans and my temperatures has been pretty awesome with 42-46°C load temps and in gaming I have seen max temperature 48°C in hot weather

Currently running cards under water and temps are in 32-36°C on my GTX1080 and GTX1080 Ti, Ti is running hotter at 36°C with 2149MHz but my best current OC is 2155MHz on stock FE BIOS with 1.09v

If you are really want low temperatures and low or lower noise then water is only option there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Hey guys sorry to hijack this thread but I too am looking to get my 1080ti watercooled. I've never done water cooling before because I've never felt the need to until now so I'm sorry if this question is extremely noobish. I have the gigabyte aorus xtreme. I actually really like the design of it and the cooling is not bad considering it's air cooling. Is there any way to water cool it while keeping the design? I've seen lot's of 1080TIs getting water cooled but they all have everything removed and are stripped down to the chip and I don't really like the looks of that.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Not really. A typical water block for a high-end card will span the entire length of the card and will require you to remove the existing heatsink and fan(s) (they also usually require a different backplate so you won't be able to keep that either). I suppose if you're really creative you can try to fit the shroud on the block, but that'll be a custom mod on your part.

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    On the MSI FE card you can use the current backplate, sort of. See below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Yeah I was hoping to keep the fans and outside design as I like the RGB thing they have going and design. Not just the backplate. If I kept the backplate, I could keep the RGB lights on it? I have to say this card gets really hot. Even with an aggressive fan profile, it's throttling. I've never once had components getting so hot on air cooling and I'm in Taiwan (it's really crazy hot here). Looks like this is gonna be the first thing to get me towards water cooling. Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I've just installed an AIO on my eVGA 1080ti SC Black edition (stepped up from my 1080 Hybrid)

Using a Nzxt Kraken G10 mount and Corsair H75 AIO

Temps under stress testing are 50-51'c this is at 2000mhz core and 11880 Ram,
    It holds 1987mhz stable clock as the first thermal throttle is around 40'c where it drops from 2000mhz.

My card won't OC any higher regardless of temps, it's a bit of a dog, but usually step up cards are the worst binned ones eVGA have :(

Gaming temps are more like 40-45'c though btw

The fans on the H75 are loud so I limit them to 35% to stay silent, so I'm loosing a bit of cooling potential there.
    Also as I have kept the mid plate on the card to cool VRM's, Ram etc etc I needed a copper shim to sit between the AIO plate and the GPU, otherwise the mid plate would interfere with good contact.
    This is also loosing a few degrees cooling potential, but hey ho.

All in all I'm happy.

The best AIO to get though is definitely eVGA Hybrid Cooler, it has a stepped copper base plate so you won't need a shim, you will definitely see temps <50'c with that on the card.
    They are like £150 though so quite expensive !!!

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Just grab the EVGA one, it will work great.

With mine @2025mhz (refuses to clock past 2037) which clearly isnt making me a cilicon lottery winner I get most 40-50c temps, however SOME games which heat up your Gpu really well - for example Mass Effect 2 with all possible tweaks, +sgssaa x4 + Ambient occlusion, pushes temps all the way to 58c, and that is in a really well ventilated case.

Or Nier automata which pushes temps to 61c once, while my previous gtx1080 also sea hawk, didnt get over 52c on 2100mhz OC.

Most of this is due to larger GPU size itself for 1080Ti, and down the road I will change the thermal paste on it too.

So go for EVGA and dont worry about it. Gz on your 1080Ti!

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB

11. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    eVGA one is better, you can keep the reference midplate and blower for better VRM/RAM cooling. With that Arctic one, because of the flat base you have to remove it all and use the Arctic stuff which probably isnt as good at doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0nQdCRE9Q

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Corsair AIO. And yeah, I use the rad as exhaust.

Sorry guys, I wasn't online yesterday at all, thanks for all the replies.

Seems general consensus is between Accelero and EVGA?

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah but I want shot of the reference blower entirely so it makes less noise. Or do I misunderstand your point?

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thanks, this is a valuable post. My case is pretty well ventilated now too, it was a problem for a while but I fixed that. So even in this case I might still in some extreme games' examples see temps approaching 60.

As for paste I have Shin Etsu which is near enough some of the best you can get. But yeah, seriously considering the EVGA.

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    EVGA as mentioned plus one of the Accelero efforts as well. but general advice also appreciated. As you'll see from the thread, there's a fair few appropriate AIOs.

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Going for a water solution just costs too much. I know AIO isn't quite as good, but it's still a billion times better than passive air.

17. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    yeah you missed the point.

The reference blower only needs to tick over to cool the other stuff

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Understood. Would installation of the EVGA be as 'complex' as the video you provided or was that basically a 'hack mod' as the guy said.

19. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    your card wont thermal throttle till it gets to 90 degrees , its gpu boost doing its job. Its odd your core speed starts to drop at 40 degrees , normally fans dont even start spinning till it gets to 60? My card stays at 2025 till it gets to 60 degrees then drops to 2000 between 61 and 65 if it goes over 65 it will drop again to 1987 (my fan curve stops it going over 65) Your card seems to be behaving oddly? Wonder if its a bios issue?

20. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync

In that diy Hybrid video they wanted to keep the reference midplates and fan as it was before eVGA released the Hybrid Cooler for the 1080ti that comes with the rest of kit (VRM cooling, Fan, Shroud etc etc)

You would just take the whole thing off now and replace it with what comes in the eVGA kit. Will be simpler.

It drops from 2000mhz to 1987mhz at around 40'c every time.
    There is another drop at 47/48'c to 1974mhz.
    I've adjusted my fan speed to ensure card doesn't go above 45'c now to avoid this second drop.

The eVGA SC is a reference design btw.

I've had water cooling on my last 3 cards, 980ti - 1080 - 1080ti
    They all did similar things at similar temps

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017