Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Khronos Group today announced the immediate release of the OpenGL 4.4 specification, bringing the very latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3...

Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This is great now if only more stuff used opengl. Most ever game i have that is opengl will run pegged at 60fps at all time with vsycn+triple buffer, yet DX + Vysnc will not stay pegged at 60 fps short of me forcing TB with DXoverride and using framelimter threw precision. On side note for the longest time i kept wonder what this Khronos entry was in my registry now I know apparently is OPENGL

3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Not only OpenGL 4.4, but also OpenCL 1.2 SPIR and OpenCL 2.0.

OpenCL 1.2 SPIR is looking good, and OpenCL 2.0... AMD will be happy with it.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont even know what the other stuff is for

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Good for you?

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Going by the article, sounds like they are making it easier to port games from Directx to OpenGL. In other words, make it easier to port games from Xbox One to PS4...

In any case, having the conformance compliance is good, and having competition with Directx and vice versa is also good, as it pressures new features and advancements in each of the specifications.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    As much as I see you like OpenGL and I too love it. But even the developers admit its nowhere near got the functionality of DX. Watch the keynote speech from John Carmack from last years Quakcon and it openly admits that they should have dropped OpenGL years ago in favor of DX as its just better (his words not mine).

I hope with this new update that its proven wrong and OpenGL becomes the industry standard and gives microsoft another kick to the goolies!!

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well the problem is the 4.4 only include what you can allready find on DX11, DX11.1 and DX11.2 ....

So, its nice to see they are catchup, but they need a bit more i think for go further.

The good thing is they are compliant ( to a certain extend ) to HSA requirement and other stuff about virtual memory and adress mapping, sparse texture, bindless textures etc etc..

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    OpenGL 4.4 being supported on Windows 7 should be an advantage, since DX11.1/11.2 are only supported fully on Windows 8 and 8.1

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Huum its a bit different... maybe too much complicate for enter on it right now.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I thought 4.3 already used bindless extensions, good that's finally here.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nice to see OpenGL advancing....