Xbox World reveals Next Gen Xbox?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    [​IMG]

Source: C&VG

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Caught that earlier on but the article I was reading said it has "four hardware cores, with four logical cores", and it actually looks pretty sleek, but I bet it will be a fingerprint magnet.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This generation it will be Green Rings of Death :D Not a flattering picture, it looks fat. And the silver band reminds me of the iPhone 4 :p

4. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    I posted this picture first on the wii u forum but this will be on my list this coming fall. its sexiiiI!

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok i assume that pic is unoffical because i dont see much in the way of cooling anywhere.....and considering the old design failed due to poor cooling and that rear cooling design mess, yet the new slim has a nice big fan on the top now and cooling is not a issue anymore....that's going to be one of the things i will need clarified next time round before i upgrade from my present 360.

Although it does look ok and would look great under you TV.

EDIT...Forget that, i just read the artical and its a mock up of what the mag thinks it will look like. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I thought they said they would never use blu-ray? bout time the caught up anyway or will they pcik another format that goes to crap after a year.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I hope it doesn't look like that, it's absolutely terrible. Looks like a womans cosmetics case.

8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    ill call this Lunch Box lol reminds me of my lunch box in grade school.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looks nice.
    This will be the first console that isnt memory limited.
    Cant speak for the rest of it though.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So if these specs hold up Wii U is outdated in a year. lol.

8GB of ram, finally they're realizing how crippled systems have been with low ram. Hope it holds up.

The system can be as bulky and ugly as they need it to be, as long as it stays cool and doesnt rrod I'll be happy.

11. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Matches what I heard; 4 cores + 4 way SMT on each. Interested to see the cache setup...

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The Dev kit has 8 GB. I'm sure the final hardware will have 4 or 6 GB.

Also, I don't know how people always equate RAM size to graphics performance. I can Crysis 2 with 4 or 8 GB of RAM in my system and it looks exactly the same. What really matters is what kind of GPU it will have.

That pic is just a dumb mock-up to sell magazines.

I bet well see a 4 core PowerPC CPU at 3GHz and a AMD 7 series GPU (one or two generations above the Wii U's)

... And unless MS wants to look archaic, they'll employ an MCM like Nintendo. Sony is looking like it's going the APU route (pure AMD).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, it does sound like an IBM route with the 4 cores, 16 logical processors since they have 4x hyperthreading, not 2x like Intel has. It will be interesting to see what this means for gaming and console ports. I'm not sure what performance benefits 4x hypterthreading will give, since it means each will only run at 25 percent of the core's speed. The benefit comes from parallelism, and overcoming the latency you get between thread switching.

The 8gb of RAM makes sense. What's the point of making a console for today's games? They are considering the fact that the new Xbox will (they hope) still be around in 4 years time, so they are catering for future games. What we are left with, in terms of concern, is what they will use for the GPU. Rumours in the past was a HD6000 series, but I doubt that. Current rumours suggest a 28nm HD7000 series, but the HD8000 series is just around the corner. The Xbox could well ship with GCN 2.0 video card, which would give Microsoft further scope for optimisation later.

14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Bad news for next gen 360 theres a big chance it will be delayed to 2014 due to poor yields

"SemiAccurate reports that manufacturing yields on the new processor’s production wafers are “painfully low.” As explained by OXM, that means ”for every wafer, or sheet of silicon chips, created, only a tiny percentage are actually usable. Think of it like a sheet of baseball cards. If one sheet makes 30 cards, but only one card comes out without any issues or defects, that's a bit of a problem." Microsoft has reportedly increased Oban manufacturing to “very high quanitities” that SemiAccurate notes are “too high by more than an order of magnitude to simply be for dev kits.”

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/...turing-trouble

Link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...-date-to-2014/

Link: http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/04/m...rumors-abound/

Well this is bad news for Microsoft if they where to delayed next gen xbox 360to 2014 im not even sure if ps4 where to be released 2013 as of now wii u is dominating the next gen market and gaining momentum this is trouble for Microsoft ill still buy it though.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Hopefully developers will wake up and see the merit of PC versions of games in the meantime (doubt it though!).

The technology of CPU/GPU is at the beginning of a transition period currently, but I doubt that heterogeneous CPU/GPU processors will be out by the time they need it for the consoles. This tech may make the next gen consoles rather short lived though, otherwise they'll be even more left behind than they currently are!

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't see the delay as a bad thing. I'd rather the system be bug-free and rrod free. Let them take their time and get it right. PC will keep me happy until then.

And thatguy91 , I agree. It would be nice if dev's pushed more PC exclusives in the meantime but it seems like a far cry...no pun intended.

17. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    So ill buy another 360 for backup in the future just in case and will play some of the older titles. Ill be skipping this new Generation unless something Really interesting pops up.

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Interesting A 7000 Series GPU equivalent to a dual 7000 series u find on pc.

"Anonymous sources are being quoted on VG247 as saying that the graphics setup in the Xbox 720 will be "like two PCs taped together" which sounds like waffle to us. What does that even mean?

The same sources say that the two GPUs in the Xbox 720 "aren't structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up," with each chip working separately to draw different items simultaneously.
    Again, this sounds rather wooly to us, so let's try and make some sense of it...Perhaps it depends what the source is referring to as different 'items'. The traditional usage of multi-GPU tech is Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) where each GPU renders a frame in turn; if the source is saying that is not the case in the Xbox 720 then it will be a whole new usage of twin graphics chips.

It's possible this simultaneous rendering of different items could be referring to using the twin GPUs to display 3D outputs – where each chip is rendering a different angle of a scene to generate the 3D effect. This would then minimise the stress that 3D gaming puts on graphics chips.Still, if that secondary GPU is lying dormant during non-3D gaming it would be rather wasteful, so the GPUs must surely still be used concurrently to render the games.
    It's also possible the confusion here could be arising from the difference between AMD's old GPU architecture, used in the Xbox 360, and the new Graphics Core Next technology. The old Very Long Instruction Word (VLIW) architecture of AMD's last gen GPUs essentially batched up instructions before outputting them. But GCN is made up of more independent microprocessors capable of carrying out more instructions concurrently.
    Either way, the inclusion of AMD 7000 series graphics would put the new Xbox on a par with the current rumoured specs of the Sony PS4 which is in turn expected to also contain AMD Southern Islands graphics as well as an AMD x86 CPU.

It would put the two consoles on level footing in terms of performance as they will essentially contain the same hardware, though by the time they actually go on sale they would to be hopelessly out of date compared to modern PCs.

Are we really to believe that the 'next generation' of games consoles would essentially be out of date mini AMD PCs, with just the operating systems and scale of fun-sucking DRM the only levels of differentiation? We can't see that being the case, and a report in April 2012 suggests that Microsoft does indeed have something more exciting up its sleeve."

Looks Like Microsoft is finding a new architecture diffrent from pc but thats good its about time i wanna see some high end graphics u find on pc on a lil console.

Link: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-release-date-news-and-rumours-937167

Looks like Amd whoop Nvidia Ass on the Console department .

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    As long as it can play 1080p smoothly-ish, not many will care.

20. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Also Incase if u NOOBS! hasnt seen what next gen Final fantasy series will look like on Next gen 360 and Sony "Xbox Infinity or 720" "PS4" heres the luminous engine which will power next gen final fantasy series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up6xwSWKZwY