AMD Radeon HD 8870m Drivers!?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by pfaf09, Apr 22, 2013.

1. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    Hello, i try to search and search and search and nothing, amd dont have recent drivers for 8870m?
    I have an samsung 770z7e with 8870m and some games are with low fps for not having an recent driver update.

I appreciate a help from u guys.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Which games?

I did a search and as for the GPU this seems to be a 7000 series GPU model but rebranded / OEM (I got really confused by that initially too but it seems like it's a fairly common practice.) but it should have pretty recent default drivers from what I found.

Unsure if there's any update actually, I don't think any of the recent driver releases (Unsure about the latest beta, I think it was for the 7790 though.) supports the 8000 mobile series properly yet.
    (I couldn't find anything specific by searching around, driver seems to be from late December 2012 so it shouldn't be a issue but I could be wrong.)

EDIT: Then there's power saving functionality, GPU throttling due to power saving or heat and other factors to take into account in regards to performance.
    (I think this GPU matches the specifications of the 7870 but again I'm not 100% certain and it's the mobile variant.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    No, when i play i put on max performance.
    Mafia II, Age of Empires Online, GTA IV Episodes From Liberty City, and some others.

And the other part its gpu-z (doesnt start and i have the last version) and msi afterburn doesnt work too on this gpu.

On SW Update (program from samsung for drivers) says i have amd version: 9.3.5.0...

If any could reply i would appreciate it!

Thank you.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    you should know that mobile 8xxxm series are bit upgraded 7xxxm with advanced power saving features.
    One of them is TDP power limiter. So if card runs over certain temperature it lowers clocks.

You can try RadeonPro to check in game clock speeds. do not try to set overdrive with it, just monitor clock behavior.
    If it fluctuates while you play then it's temperature problem.

I never had 8xxxm laptop GPU at hand to test how or if this feature is actually in play.
    If it's this case RadeonPro may help by using fps limiter to 60fps. This will not force GPU to work frames which will not go to display therefore reducing heat a bit at easy times allowing bit better behavior at heavy scenes till thermal limit is reached.

If it throttles due to temperature you may try to check dust level in blower.

5. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Oh you have issues with AMD mobile drivers? Yeah... Sorry, that is standard from AMD. It's their policy, take your money, and then laugh at you. They didn't have functional drivers for my 7970M until November of 2012, I purchased it in May 2012. And it still has issues today. So yeah..

Have a blast with your notebook AMD.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep, upgrading drivers is a total mess and guaranteed to either not work or break all my drivers to the point of spending a day fixing it.

Not touching them from now on, they work, any slight driver performance boost isn't worth it.

7. iBen95111

iBen95111 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 480 8GB
  8. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    If it come with Intel + AMD switchable graphic, your best bet is to ask Leshcat to include your GPU into his UnifL driver.

9. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    Hi, thanks for your tip, i use FurMark for gpu test and goes to 100% of gpu usage, its using all clocks. Core at: 775MHz memory at 1125MHz.
    Temperature doesnt goes more than 70Âșc...

I will try to contact Leshcat to see if he solve it :)

10. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    If it's switchable with Intel, try the Leshcat one (but I don't know if it have 8k series support). If not, try to install it like e.g. 7850 card via hardware manager - have a disk update drivers method...

BTW sometimes the problem is not AMD, but manufacturer of notebook, who don't release drivers for the card, that's totally normal for all brands so don't blame only AMD...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

11. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    I have the same laptop and the same problem :/ No new drivers from Samsung and AMD ATI...
    Even the newest drivers 13.4 doesn't support 8870M.

12. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    Ok here is some 'strange' situation, when i try to install 'AMD Catalyst 13.5 BETA 2 Mobile' it says my graphics are the recent one it shoes version: 9.3.5.0 (the one installed by SW update from Samsung) when i choose custom installation but that version was supposed to be the 12.102.3.0000, right? (i even try to disable the driver signature enforcement, but nothing). So i uninstalled all drivers, and when i tried to run 'AMD Catalyst 13.5 BETA 2 Mobile' its shoes me only this option to install: 'generator of installation of amd catalyst' no drivers, nothing :( Im getting crazy with this situation :(

EDIT:
    Thanks god im not the only one :( I thought was only me :(

13. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    This 'strange situation' is with all of ati last drivers. I tried the same but without success.
    Maybe Samsung will upgrade this drivers on SW Update (many programs were upgraded)

Did you flash bios to newest version (SW Update 3-rd one) ??? Have you noticed any difference ?

I'm not the only one too ;)

14. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    Yes i have flashed the new bios with no difference... At last i don't have notified it...
    Or the newest drivers aren't compatible yet with this laptop, or samsung doesn't allow to install other drivers from ati without being from SWU.

15. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Relax.. 8870M is still fairly new, AMD haven't officially include them in their latest driver. If you guys really desperate, do a manual install using 7870M entry since it just a rebadged.

PM Leshcat's in this forum and ask him to include 8870M in his next release. Don't forget to give him the HardwareIds of your GPU.

16. kybeer

kybeer Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950
    What is the procedure to do the manual (7870M) installation?

17. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Not recommended to do this. Extract the latest 13.5 mobility enduro driver beforehand.

1. Right click your HD8870M in device manager and select "Update driver software"
    2. "Browse my computer for driver software"
    3. "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    4. "Have disk"
    5. Browse to "..\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF\" (64 bit)
    6. Select the file that start with C7 if u're using Win7 and C8 for Win8.
    6. Untick "Show Compatible Hardware"
    7. Pick "HD7800M"

18. kybeer

kybeer Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950
    So is there no correct way to install 8870M, since they are not supported in the mobility drivers?

19. pfaf09

pfaf09 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 8870m
    I already sent a pm to Leshcat, lets see if he reply, last time he login was on day 20 of this month.
    Or i think its better wait for an release from amd, if we force any driver installation we might get into problems.

20. kybeer

kybeer Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950
    pfaf09, what driver are you running, since you have 8870M in your sig.?