New GTX 780 install ... gone wrong :/ almost killed the card.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by RazTER, Nov 5, 2013.

1. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB
    Was installing it and missed the PCI-E slot... slightly due to medium light + from shadow. Bumped into the MoBo thought was installed and then O_O !!! Got a little scratch running through the circuit just behind the golden PCI-E sticks. It was made from underneath the PCIslot plastic part.... after a big load of WTF WTH - LOL ...installed again properly and... IT WORKS uffff...

... I know i am a i§$%§$t :bang:. Since Diamond 3dfx Voodoo2 I've been installing cards but lately i absolutely did it for the 1st time wrong. Dunno if it was the fault i didnt see the PCI slot or what... the card is inno3D Herculez - its a monster in size and well built ... luckily ;[

Totally not happy what I did... since then I am second guessing my card (it works in 3d MArk 11 + all games on my lovely 120Hz BenQ and all...

Can somebody tell me if you have these ''0 positions intervals'' regarding fan speed in RPMs?? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

Close gpu-z and check only with MSI afterburner - observe both tachometer and fan %, does it show the same 0rpm drops?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    your fan speed looks like a constant 31% based on that pic

4. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB

Hi! MSI Afterburner is showing the same random ''0'' values, but very rare.... :nerd: though sometimes very near to each other . Fan % is ranging from 31 -35 based what game i play. I dont hear or see the RPM slowing down. Crysis manages 38% fan speed - my Corsair 650D is very nicely cooler as i have a little mod with 2 additional 120 fans inside it.

5. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB

That's right but it can change depending on what game i play. My max was 39%. I wonder if anyone with a GTX 780 is also experiencing this. It is probably nothing big or has nothing to do with that scratch i made....but i just want to be sure.

6. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB
    BTW thanks for your interest on this rather untypical problem. + sorry for my english :p

I'll try to add some pictures of the board in about 2 weeks if you're interested to see how one can do damage and yet, be lucky to have it working normal (probably :p).

7. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB
    Can someone tell me if you experience the same thing with tachometer RPM??? It shows 0 at random moments... is it normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW I guess I was super lucky with my card.... the scratch didn't damage any circuit :) I think I have a GTX 780 ''Scratch Edition'' now :)

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I wouldnt worry about it, probably sw limitation with custom fans.

If you want to see even bigger picture, set polling interval to 500-300ms or low as 100ms, instead of default 1000ms - use lower only for testing.

9. RazTER

RazTER Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 3GB
    Yep - you're right. Thanks !!!

I also additionally checked some other reviews - perfectly normal behaviour with RPMs :) THANKS - problem solved! False alarm :nerd:

One side note -> I can really recomment this card! My previous one was the 660Ti HerculeZ from inno. After about 1 month i had problems finding another 660Ti for Sli config for like 3 months!!! :)

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    RazTER I'm thinking of getting this card.

How was your experience so far? Especially with OCing?

Did you flash any custom bios yet?

I will eagerly await your reply. :thumbup: