AMD Threadripper might get AIO LCS Liquid cooling bundled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Granted, it is a bit of a long shot to call this news-item accurate. But on the web right now rumors are surfacing that the new Threadripper processor, which have a 180W TDP, will get a liquid cooling kit (or optional with the processors). ...

AMD Threadripper might get AIO LCS Liquid cooling bundled

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yikes, and I thought $1000 for a 16c/32t was a bargain, without any cooler at all. If this is true, this would be the icing on the cake, especially considering the 7900X (and likely other models) supply no cooler.

I am a little doubtful of this though, for 2 reasons:
    1. I figure a large heatpipe heatsink would've worked fine. There are heatsinks out there that support a TDP of 180W. Due to the surface area of TR, heat dissipation ought to be easier to accomplish, despite the thermal output. A normal air cooler would be large, but likely still smaller in total volume than an AIO. I don't suspect the average TR user intends to build a low-profile PC, and I'm sure we'll never see an ITX board. All that being said, it seems to me an AIO cooler is a little overkill.
    2. Due to its gargantuan size, socket TR4 likely has no existing compatible heatsinks. With AMD shipping an already very good cooler out-of-the-box, they are really alienating 3rd party sources. The last thing AMD needs is to displease companies that support their products. On the other hand, perhaps AMD would ship this cooler because there are no 3rd party heatsinks, and they don't want people annoyed that they have no way of properly cooling their new CPU when overclocked.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I could possibly see them offer this, however I would expect the so-far known prices to be those for the CPU only (ie. a "tray" version as it may be), and a "boxed" version with any potential cooler might cost something extra. In that case the "value" doesn't really increase any further.

If they don't do that, I can see many people complaining about paying for a relatively expensive cooler (lets face it, even mediocre AIOs don't come that cheap), just to replace it with a more high-end cooler on their own.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Very interesting indeed. Wonder is this will be on the X version or if the non-X chips will get it?

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This would indeed add a lot more value to TR. I'm a little doubtful as well since I don't think even AMD would go that far (if they do, I hope it's optional, and that they charge extra for it). No need to give away the store here, as TR already looks like it will offer tremendous value.

An optional AIO would be nice, especially since I've heard very little on coolers for TR4 - only Noctua has a product for it, and that was a prototype. I'm waiting for a company like EK to announce a water block, and the silence is disconcerting, to say the least. I have the parts for a custom loop and would love to use them on TR, but I'm missing the most important part.

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I would be interested in this (at extra cost) only if the price were relatively cheap and I could hack it into my existing custom loop :)

This could be however a very nice move by AMD to bring much more reasonably priced AIO setups to their high end customers.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Though I agree having it optional would be nice/preferred, I think it'd be pretty rare for anyone to go out of their way to replace it (even if there were better alternatives available, which there wouldn't be much of). The only ones who would want to replace it are those with specialty cases, like custom water loops or liquid nitrogen users. If people found the fan too noisy, they would really only need to replace that. Remember - these CPUs likely aren't going to OC beyond 4.1GHz and they already turbo to 4.0GHz, so if they're supplied with an AIO, it's probably going to be plenty sufficient, even for overclocking.

Another thing to consider - due to the low availability of TR4 coolers, perhaps AMD is doing this as a way to ensure everyone who buys a Threadripper will be able to cool it. AMD has already lost Ryzen sales due to motherboard availability and relatively late BIOS updates. I remember there being an issue with heatsink availability for socket G34, so they could be trying really hard to not screw this up.

8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It's kind of funny how when it became known that Intel's new chips will have a liquid cooler, the response was all negative. People rattling on about the chip being way too hot, horrible design efficiency, etc. Yet when AMD's new chip has a liquid cooler, its all sunshine and bunnies, with everyone talking about how its such a great move by AMD and that they're giving the customer added value for their money... but the reality of it all is there is no air cooler made that can properly deal with 180w and keep the chip from throttling... same as with the Intel chips.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Source? I never heard of any news about Intel shipping any cooling of any kind with their i9s, and as a result, never heard any negative responses either. But, it makes sense for Intel to not ship a cooler with an i9. There are already plenty of existing heatsinks compatible with 2066 (it is backward compatible with 2011 heatsinks), and unlike TR, an i9 has a lot of OC potential. The only good reason to get an i9 vs a Xeon is the overclocking, so whatever Intel would ship would would just go to waste.

There are plenty of air coolers that can deal with 180W. They may be large, but they're also designed to be quiet. As stated before, heatsinks can be made smaller for socket TR4 (without making any sacrifices) due to the massive surface area, allowing for better heat dissipation.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Frankly, for their price, Intel SHOULD include an AIO with all their Core i9s. I mean, $2K for an 18-core, and they don't even include a liquid cooler to go with it? What's up with that? :p

But seriously, since when did Intel start shipping a liquid cooler with their CPUs?

11. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I hope its made by Asetek.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If not, we'll be hearing about more patent trolling....

13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Cooler Master more likely, like the LC Vega FE

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    the complaints are targeted at the Tim usage instead of soldering their cpu's to the heat spreader especially when those cpu's heat up so fast :bang:

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, it's kinda hard for something that didn't happen to have good coverage and not have negative responses....

Pretty interesting claim, being the fact that the threadripper processors have not been released yet and any "leaks" have not implied or stated this.

Have you become our not-so-friendly neighborhood fud slinger?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017