Come into some money....time to upgrade...sort of

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stalkerfan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ah OK, I shop at PB Tech...

Anyway fwiw I recommend the 8320, it's about $50 cheaper than the 8350 but will overclock the same (see my specs).

2. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Ok cool...thanks mate :)

3. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    While we are on the subject....

a) how do i know if i need to update my bios for the FX?

What version do you have Pill? I see we have the same mobo.

b) should i do it before i swap out cpu's?

My mb has a utility to update the bios from in windows so was going to use that.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

About bios updating, if you need to ask, it probably should be done because no doubt you are on the original bios! Definitely do it before putting in the new CPU. According to here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3900 you need to be running at the very least, bios revision F8 for FX-8320/FX-8350 support. By not updating the bios first, the computer may not boot, or behave improperly (in other words, it probably won't work).

Use the latest listed bios (F9A) and the latest Gigabyte bios utility if doing it from Windows. DO NOT use the utility that came on your MB CD. The reason why you should use the F9A bios is because Gigabyte, like some other MB manufacturers, don't release final bios revisions if there doesn't need to be any changes from the beta. It's quite obvious that the F9A bios is, despite being labelled as beta, a release driver, because it was released 4 months ago. The change in the bios was also very minor, it was just updating the AHCI ROM to a later version, a version which is itself a proper release version. The bios really shouldn't need any testing to make sure it works.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Our boards are different even though they use the same chipset, mine is an ASUS Sabertooth.

Easiest way to make sure is to download the latest BIOS.

EDIT-

Be careful if/when overclocking on that board, I just noticed it uses 4+1 phase vrm with no heatsinks. Make sure you have good case cooling...

6. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Thanks guy and Pill....great info there.
    Doubt i'll be overclocking on my pc but its good to know the mobo limitations.

*edit* I assume I download that link you posted Pill and then choose "Update bios from file" option when I run @bios?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep.....:)

8. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Bios flashed and all good....bring on the FX!!
    Thanks for your help guys :)

9. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Ok got my cpu and HD plus the GPU is on its way....one more question.

I have 8 gig of dirty ole Kingston 1333 ram.....should i get some faster stuff while im in the upgrade mode.

Keep in mind i doubt i'll be doing much overclocking...actually i'll be doing none :p