Why Half Life 3 Has Not Been Released Yet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    John Lowrie, a voice actor who has worked on several Valve games including DOTA 2, Left 4 Dead, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2, claims that one of the reasons Half Life 3 isn't out yet is because Va...

Why Half Life 3 Has Not Been Released Yet

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's a really lame excuse in my opinion.

It's like saying we shouldn't go into outer space since the lunar buggy wasn't ready yet. Do what you can with today's technology and then when tomorrow's comes then you can take the next step.

3. DarkSayianSilva

DarkSayianSilva Active Member

GPU:
    asus gtx 980 TI STRIX
    Totally agreed but let be real here its not out yet because some one made another Gabe Newell fat joke!

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It is a poor excuse. So it sounds like they haven't started. Didn't they say Half-Life 2 took 6 years to develop? Assuming the technology is around in 2016 to do what they want, it might be ready by 2022! Unfortunately it is nothing more than a poor excuse for not getting it done.

A better example would be if they waited until now to land on the moon instead of doing it in 1969 because Hi-Definition TV wasn't around then, and they wanted to display the landing in all its glory.

Unfortunately if Valve waits too long people won't be interested in it no matter how good it is. No reason why there can't be a Half-Life 4 later on!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Coz Valve are cuunts!

6. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Head over to the Steam forums and look at the response for the latest CS:GO update. Some reactions are that of carrying out mass suicide...

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't think they care or know what to do with the story any more.

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Mmmm don't think that's true. I recently finished Rage and yeah, while there were areas to fix, the enemy motion was great i think.
    Especially when blasting someone face and they keep walking for a couple of meters holding their faces and then dropping.
    And i'm guessing things became even better by then.
    Face animation is another thing but Valve has a pretty good system in HL2. They haven't been able to better it?

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, yeah, I don't blame them. I'm fuming myself. To sum that up, the excuse they gave was the worst possible excuse I've ever read.

It's been over 6 years and Valve haven't even STARTED making the game?

Another Duke Nukem Forever. In the case of Half-Life, it should be called Half-Life Forever

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    It better be perfect then.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Valve can go do one, couldn't care less about hl3

12. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Well, let's simply assume Gabe is quite a rich guy by now.
    Why doesn't he develope a better MoCap himself?

Lame story, bro... I'm a HL fan since '97, but seriously, they've let me down so hard now.
    It has been, what, 9 years since HL2? I'd like to play now I have the time, before I have a mortgage and a family, Gabe!

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Erm, the storys been updated, there is no more HL, thats it folks :(

14. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Do we really need a new HL?

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Spend too much time and energy trying to perfect something and it almost always turns out worse than if it was more laid back and they were having fun with it.

I mean, what more could they do with the story? What new revolutionary physics gameplay mechanics will they come up with right now? The Source Engine isn't a bad engine by any means, as are most engines, but that was a driving factor back 7+ years ago. I don't even care how much they could possibly make any NPC more "realistic" when interacting with them; they're still brainless ragdolls at the end of the day, and that's the way I prefer them. In gmod videos.

I'd play the game to play it, but I can't really say I give a **** anymore what happens to Gordan Freeman next.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    He gets tea bagged and fisted.

Jokes aside. When Half-Life epis0de 2 ended, it was an open ending leaving unanswered questions.

The G-Man is yet to be explained. There is no reason for Valve not to make Half-Life 3 a final story.

The father of Alyx was killed at the end of epis0de 2 and we'd like to know what happens next. So far we've been waiting 6+ years. :(

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    May be he was caught without any weapons and was killed because he couldn't scream for help :p

18. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    In HL3 Gordon Freeman is getting over a nasty breakup with Alyx and has ate his weight in twinkies.

Throughout the game you are faced with difficult obstacles as an obese person..like tying your shoes and walking up stares and sh1t.

At the end you save humanity once again...by destroying honey boo-boo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't believe people are seriously going to sit here and say Valve is making excuses based on a contracted voice actor's opinion of what is going on.

We know Valve is working on Source 2 and L4D3, this was confirmed due to the I3 leak. I'd imagine that they'd want to showcase the new engine with a Half Life game.

Regardless, I much rather them take the time and build a true successor with whatever technology they feel is necessary than rush the game due to a few impatient people.

20. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This reminds me of people that keep waiting and waiting for new tech before upgrading what they currently have. Whats the point, there is always going to be something new and better just around the corner, you'l just be always waiting, not getting anywhere or enjoying anything. :infinity: