ISP Hiking Prices

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Daftshadow, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You people are getting ripped off, i can't believe how much are paying.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    A lot of people don't have a choice. I live in an apartment currently and the only option is Comcast because that is who the apartment complex has the contract with.

And where my mom lives only Comcast is available too. Verizon FIOS is available literally across the street but Verizon has no plans to make FIOS available to her row of houses.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Comcast here($47 mo) Was ($165 with cable tv/phone), I dropped tv/phone ...Somehow?...my internet speed went UP^?.....

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Are you sure it's the cable company that's raising their rates and not the FCC upping their regulatory fee? The FCC is famous for doing that crap.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    OP needs to compare his bills.

6. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    grin and bear it untill its renewal time then its time to rip them a new one with demands

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Those are horrible prices and extremely pricey. We pay 19,90 €/month (inc. 24% VAT) for 50 Mbit down and up connection. No limits.

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Strange, and never heard of such behavior. Here in Portugal you sign a contract, let´s say a 24 months contract, and you have the absolute right to pay the same for the first 24 months, then after that you can negociate or leave the ISP.

9. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    the bill only shows Internet Charges $54.99. no detailed info on the what the charges are. pretty shady. i did call them, they said "we now offer better Internet services" BS. i'm not renting the cable modem. i bought everything when i signed up. but it's not like i have any choice. it's either have internet or no internet. damn ISP monopoly...

10. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    My Virgin Media 30MB BB price is increasing £2.50. Quite a lot considering they have millions of customers.

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    MY TWC bill today has gone up ~$15 from the last several months. Ticked off enough I would switch if I had any other options. :(

12. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    $142 a month for basic TV and 20/2 (which they recently introduced a cap of 350GB a month, as well as increasing the price of service)

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just 3 years ago (when I signed my first contract), my connection was $149.99 a month. Looking at options to be able to drop TV and Phone next year and just keep my internet. My current bill, after all taxes are included, is ~$137.

Service providers in the US like to rip people off. Verizon does appear to be working to improve service and increase speeds though.

Most service contracts in the US only cover the cost of service itself. Then they tack on equipment charges on top of the service fee. The equipment charges they and increase and decrease as they deem fit....the service fee they can't touch.

I would call and demand a detailed bill showing all charges. If you have a contract, they can't alter the service fee without your consent. They can only alter equipment fees.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  14. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    I was with century link and I had a 50mb connection for 72 a mo, after being wirth them for a year my internet went up to 82 a month without notice. I called to complain and after speaking to the customer retention office they agreed to keep me at 72 a mo until I decided to upgrade to a higher speed