Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro to cost $899

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    that's steep!

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    If you are actually going to utilize its portability with insane power then you wouldn't mind the price, but if it's the other way around, then you will, definitely.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Battery life is going to be the killer when you're on the move. A couple of lunch time meetings and a bit of work either side and its going to be dead.

Very happy with the iPad3 I just bought. Came with 97% on the battery, used it every evening this week for several hours and still on just over 50%.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The keyboard/cover thing is proprietary and only micro$oft will offer (something apple gets ostrisized for btw) it's the same with the docking station $1000 for a 128GB plus at least $200 worth of proprietary accessories and still the 4 hour battery life is HTC making this thing. Not worth it I got an ASUS u51 laptop with an i5 and usb3.0 for $490 added in a $100 128GB ssd and already had a keyboard half the price all the functionality and a DVD writer why would anyone with more than two brain cells get one of these.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This is not Win-RT, but Win 8 Pro - regular fully featured desktop edition.

And regarding ASUS u51 - they were around $1k over here too, so price is not an argument in this particular case.

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

take a look at acer W700
    awesome tablet
    I have 15 on the office for enterprise pourposes,
    tested it really well, excellent tablet
    also, price here in spain is ab 600 euros

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wow taxes and tariffs are a bit overkill in Poland, I guess the Surface will sell for $1700 starting price.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sometimes the price difference between US and EU (or parts of EU) are huge, sometime small. If this tablet is going to cost around $1500, I'm not going to even thing about it.

Another issue is that such tablet wouldn't be very useful for me or other people with similar situation - I have:
    1. a gaming PC at home. It's 3.5-year old, but it's got SSD and recently I added GTX 680, so this renders such tablet obsolete in home, except for maybe watching movies and reading stuff @ bed.
    2. ThinkPad W520 workstation lappy, which is way too powerful to give up for tablet-sized PC.
    3. Android-powered phone, which plays movies just fine when I'm on the go. If I had, let's say, Galaxy Note II, then such tablet would be as useless as it can be.

Even if I wanted to spend some $$$ to get a tablet right now, it would be probably Nexus 10, just to use watch movies and browse some web, read books, as it's a little more convenient to use in bed or public transport than a laptop, and has much bigger screen than a phone.

----

Still, I think that such devices may be very useful for people on the go, as long as they feature good docking station for home/office. If you're a graphics/web designer who wants to showcase some work to the client in person, you may want it (big props for the added pen); or when you do your work @ office and some research / contacting on the go, and in general you want your computer and data always with you - it's for you.

However if you're going to use a few specialized devices and you don't need to keep one uniform work place everywhere with you, then there are other better solutions for you.

9. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    Problem is the general public will see it as a tablet and think that price is nuts. I also agree it's way too high. I don't know what MS is thinking but it's not going to seem as cool as an Apple product just because it's expensive.

Plus, I would rather spend that much on video cards :nerd:

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I agree one could get two 680's or 7970's for that price, or buy a very capable laptop and add a SSD then get an iPad mini or iPad 2 for the same amount of money.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    If they released this with a nicer price tag and took a loss on the hardware sales then got their software guys to cook up some interesting apps and games, etc and charge small amounts for them in the built in store then I could of seen this becoming a success but at this price its just insane!

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I dunno, nicer price or not, who wants a tablet with 4 hr max battery life? i'd guess realistic typical use is closer to 3 hours or less. I'd rather buy a cheap laptop..or just get an ipad. I mean tablets have certain types of usages and short battery but powerful and full OS isn't really of the same type of use that a small laptop couldn't provide more conviently. but to each their own.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    4 hours browsing the web on my tablet tonight. Still plenty of juice in it, if I had a Surface it would no doubt be on charge.

I think MS has seriously miscalculated its potential market.

14. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    MS loves this idea, as they will sell you 2+ docking stations on top of the already overpriced unit. Also explains the poor battery life if its an effort to force you to be docked over 1/2 of your usage time.
    On that matter, its truly sad that the industry is still stuck on conventional power methods due to more corporate politics.
    Can only wait till these companies say F U to petroleum based products and batteries and start to use technology that incorporates kinetic motion generators, which have been around for years yet de-popularized by the petroleum industry lobbyists. There is absolutely no reason not to use this even as a supplement to the existing battery. Here is an example http://www.seikowatches.com/technology/kinetic/index.html

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  15. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No idea why people are comparing the i5 version of the Surface's battery life to other tablets, it's more of a laptop. I'd prefer the RT over this to be honest.

16. ibitato

ibitato Guest

they need x86 and x64 power tablets on the market for corporate users
    way cheaper then recode corporate legacy apps to new o.s. and systems
    i5 is aimed to pro corp users
    cover trail is aimed somewhere in the middle, x86 arch for traditional stuff + new
    tendencies

17. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    some of you defending microsoft with the poor battery life well buzz off !!! That system needs a battery 2x the mah and keyboard included. I hope it fails big time so they know people won't just buy any trash product they make.